In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I Think I am Screwed - Yep, Let Go.

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
I was given 3 days off suspension. "Call on Friday Morning, to discuss status of your employment."

Was hesitant to share, but (most) of you Guys are like Family. Good thoughts and Prayers welcomed.

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, no way. I think they're doing it to make a point to the new guys. If I have an employee that only has one screw up in 5 years he's not going any where.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad. I hope it works out the best for you. Glad no one was hurt. The acting Sargent who almost killed me by crushing me between the truck and trailer, was so happy I wasn't hurt - said he didn't he would be able to live with himself had he actually killed me. Muddy boot slipped off the clutch and the truck lurched back feet not inches.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I immediately went up front, when the ladder went down, apologizing, saying it was my fault. Is everybody okay?

Got "Walked Out," by a Foreman, (A friend, I am on very good terms with.) About 45 seconds later.

Called, getting "Walked Out." You usually do not come back from that.

I have been an exemplary employee for the last 5 years. Pretty sure I am gone, with this.
    edited November -1
    Nope, no way. I think they're doing it to make a point to the new guys. If I have an employee that only has one screw up in 5 years he's not going any where.

The "Point," they usually make, is that "You are gone, if you screw up."

# of years in, does not seem to make a difference. I've seen people with 15 years in, "Walked Out."

Tends to keep everyone else" In Line."
    edited November 2019

You would think, that is how it works. Nope.

Bye bye.

I will be absolutely shocked, if I call in to the head of HR, Friday morning to check on my "Employment Status," to find, that I am not terminated.
  • castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    At a lot of jobs around here, any type of reportable accident is generally followed with a drug test. That may not be the requirement in your area. From what you describe, your foreman or supervisor needs hauled in also. He/she should have "tagged you out" till whatever the ladder guys were doing was finished.
    edited November 2019

While I appreciate your thoughts/sentiments, this place has about 350 per shift. You are gone in a heartbeat, if you "screw up." (Once.)
    edited November 2019
    casting wrote:
    At a lot of jobs around here, any type of reportable accident is generally followed with a drug test. That may not be the requirement in your area. From what you describe, your foreman or supervisor needs hauled in also. He/she should have "tagged you out" till whatever the ladder guys were doing was finished.

I am "Clean," in every respect. I am surprised, this was not mandated upon my being "Walked Out."

A lot of Grey area, on when moves are made. Foreman/Supervisor responsible? Not on your life.

We are routinely harangued on "Why is this Trailer not going up?" Move it up Now. Nobody wants to talk about/acknowledge that. Happens every single day, without fail.
  • castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    There's a company that insures your company. Maybe more than one. They need to or should hear about this event. As does OSHA. It sounds like you're working in an unsafe environment when you say the culture is Hurry-up faster faster. Does this company have an appointed safety man. Sounds like they should. Maybe they do but on paper only.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken,

I'm not going to try to speak to the culture of your business environment as you know it best. Everyone makes mistakes and in this case no one was hurt and I'm guessing minimal (if any) damage. I have been in this situation once and I know what you are feeling. You're going to be feeling it until Friday. Knowing one way or the other will be a relief. If you are let go, go with your head held high, take what you have learned and hopefully you will be able to catch on somewhere soon. Just know you have friends here who are willing to buy all your guns at pennies on the dollar :D . Sorry, couldn't help myself. You will be fine. Have faith and reach out to us if you need anything.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck, Ken! Remember, you were lookin' for a job when you found that one.. You'll land on your feet if let go.
    edited November 2019
    casting wrote:
    There's a company that insures your company. Maybe more than one. They need to or should hear about this event. As does OSHA. It sounds like you're working in an unsafe environment when you say the culture is Hurry-up faster faster. Does this company have an appointed safety man. Sounds like they should. Maybe they do but on paper only.

Complain about what is going on? (I have.) Expect to be ridden out of town. I have been down that road. More than once. It is big time CYA.

Wasting your time, to complain.
    edited November -1
    Good luck, Ken! Remember, you were lookin' for a job when you found that one.. You'll land on your feet if let go.

Thanks Brother.

All my items are paid for. (House, vehicles, etc.) I do not need much in order to make it. I expect my income to go down about 50% . For this area, it was a very well paying job. (High Turnover.) Oh well. Very stressful. Extremely high intensity.

Not much around here.

Stopped off at Mikes BBQ, on the way home. "Looking for help."

I could see myself working there. ;) No 4:15am Wakeup, or 45 minute drive in either.

I like to cook.
    edited November -1
    Mark G wrote:
    Ken,

I'm not going to try to speak to the culture of your business environment as you know it best. Everyone makes mistakes and in this case no one was hurt and I'm guessing minimal (if any) damage. I have been in this situation once and I know what you are feeling. You're going to be feeling it until Friday. Knowing one way or the other will be a relief. If you are let go, go with your head held high, take what you have learned and hopefully you will be able to catch on somewhere soon. Just know you have friends here who are willing to buy all your guns at pennies on the dollar :D . Sorry, couldn't help myself. You will be fine. Have faith and reach out to us if you need anything.

Thanks Mark. I appreciate it.

I am a pretty bright guy. I have ALWAYS landed on my feet.

I will, this time also.

I am due for a low stress, low physical exertion job, for my last couple years. (Mike BBQ?)

I am already of the opinion, "Screw You," when I call in Friday morning.

Our place goes through People, like Butter. Wonder Why?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ricci may need a bodyguard for few months...........

are there cameras watching the work floor?? I know we had almost a 100 all over the building, as close as it is to first of year I would fight it just to get next years vacation time for spite if nothing else.... good luck
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best of luck Ken
    just my guess you will get called back to work
    how ever it goes I know you will get thru it , Buddy will comfort you while you home ;)

where I worked for 25 years + many people had a three day off time to think self reflect with we will call you at home to let you know
    majority of the time the phone call would be be back here the next working day .
    they did the time off as a wake up call or as most called it to get your head out of your * minor issues you were coached or counseled until you got to the three day off or terminated ( I was considered management ( low on the pole stuck between worker and management in my view ) but still had my share of the discipline part
    they always looked at your work record and the severity / accident side .
    it was a very fast paced work loose focus for a few seconds and odds are a mistake accident happened
    edited November -1
    best of luck Ken
    just my guess you will get called back to work
    how ever it goes I know you will get thru it , Buddy will comfort you while you home ;)

where I worked for 25 years + many people had a three day off time to think self reflect with we will call you at home to let you know
    majority of the time the phone call would be be back here the next working day .
    they did the time off as a wake up call or as most called it to get your head out of your * minor issues you were coached or counseled until you got to the three day off or terminated ( I was considered management ( low on the pole stuck between worker and management in my view ) but still had my share of the discipline part
    they always looked at your work record and the severity / accident side .
    it was a very fast paced work loose focus for a few seconds and odds are a mistake accident happened

I appreciate what you are saying DR.

Around here, when ypu get "Walked Out," and given 3 days off "suspension, for a Safety issue," you are Done.

They are merely crossing the I's and T's.

I will be shocked, if being told to return to work, Monday. I do not see that happening.

You Guy's are my Brothers. While hesitant to share, how could I not?

I appreciate you all. Very much.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best of luck my friend . When I worked for the state , in a mental hospital, the employee was always ?guilty ? when accused by a patient in kind of a situation. We had to prove we were innocent. You will land on your feet one way or another . If they fire you it is their loss
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
    edited November -1
    pulsarnc wrote:
    Best of luck my friend . When I worked for the state , in a mental hospital, the employee was always ?guilty ? when accused by a patient in kind of a situation. We had to prove we were innocent. You will land on your feet one way or another . If they fire you it is their loss

Thank you Sir.

That is how I see it as well. Everyone I work with, knows that I Kill my Job. Those that have tried to fill in for me (when out,) are usually buried. They have had 2-3 people trying to do my job, and keep up.

I know, If they Fire me it is their loss. They will come to see it. Very quickly. Everyone around me, tells me, I absolutely Kill my job, eveyday.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are gonna be fine either way. If they can you for that crap then good riddance. You shouldn't waste another two years working for such ungrateful bastards anyway. There are always good employers looking for good employees. Just a suggestion, a word to the wise if you will. Take care what you write online.
    edited November -1
    Agreed Ricci. (Thank You.)

Not worried about documenting the Truth. If that bothers them, then, Oh Well.

The Truth Sucks, Sometimes.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    That just sucks. Seemed like you liked that job. But one door closes, another one opens. You?ll find something better, I?d wager.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father's generation you got a job out of high school or college and you put in 25 or 30 or 35 years (in my father's case it was 38+) and unless the company went under or changed ownership or you committed a truly ridiculous offense you worked your job and retired...

My generation people (employees) are disposable - replaceable - faceless - and essentially viewed as safety or financial liabilities (lawsuits and health care and such)

You feel worthless - less then human - they will scrape you off their corporate boot - you have no value - it's an awfully immoral humiliating process - it takes your self worth and respect and values and self identity and pride and experience and skill and life investment and blood / sweat / tears / pound of flesh and discards it like medical waste - it's soul crushing...

People judge you - income and lifestyle and routine are changed suddenly and almost violently.

Been there and done that and got the T-shirt (a dozen times)

I feel your pain - my heart bleeds.

It's why I dream about the big lottery money - not for my own extravagant lifestyle but for a firearms import warehouse and distributorship and a series of retail locations and indoor ranges and perhaps a custom shop with some Smith's...

Because I could then hire maybe 30 of you guys to share the business with me and pay a living wage and provide real benefits and help your extended families...

In a heartbeat - I would surround myself with many of you - with the only goal being breaking even - not going bust...

That's my stupid pipe dream fantasy.

Mike
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you're wrong Ken, but either way you'll be fine. Don't sweat it too much,.....things will be what they will be.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mike.

Any business, would be lucky to have me. Hardworking, responsible, reliable, honest, etc. etc.

I give 100% everyday.

A dream employee.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    casting wrote:
    Agreed. The safety guys should have had a procedure to prevent this from happening. I bet they will next week.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Moved the Trailer up about 2-3 '. The rolling ladder went down. Guys working on the ladder. (My friends.) Oh Crap. No one got hurt.

That sounds pretty serious, they may be waiting 3 days to see if any declared injuries from falling come out of this, many people (even friends) jump at ANY chance to sue their employers these days for on-the-job injuries, especially large companies....hopefully this isn't one of those cases. Hopefully you come out fine, maybe just a strong warning.....good luck to you ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1
    Marc1301 wrote:
    I hope you're wrong Ken, but either way you'll be fine. Don't sweat it too much,.....things will be what they will be.

Thanks, Marc.

I agree. And I will deal with it.

If I take a 50% pay cut to do a local job, (Not 35 miles away,) and not have to wake up at 4:15 am, bonus.

Sounds good to me.
    edited November -1
    Marc1301 wrote:

Thanks, Marc.

I agree. And I will deal with it.

If I take a 50% pay cut to do a local job, (Not 35 miles away,) and not have to wake up at 4:15 am, bonus.

Sounds good to me.
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safety Issues, are ALWAYS, a CYA. event.

Yep, upper management wants to see "actions taken" and won't question "employee dismissed" even if it costs them an experience man.

Their mistakes disappear in the paperwork but the guys on the ground can't make theirs go away. :(

Hope for the best either way.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The process as you describe it sucks.

A vocal verbal "move a trailer up" acknowledged by a verbal moving up is a shitty way to move up with the potential of safety issues.

As you noted you had a lapse but what failure? If you "heaRD THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT how else are you supposed to normally confirm that?

I hate that you have to deal with this but from what you describe I don't understand what you did wrong other than you acknowledge a lapse?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
    edited November 2019
    mogley98 wrote:
    The process as you describe it sucks.

A vocal verbal "move a trailer up" acknowledged by a verbal moving up is a shitty way to move up with the potential of safety issues.

As you noted you had a lapse but what failure? If you "heaRD THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT how else are you supposed to normally confirm that?

I hate that you have to deal with this but from what you describe I don't understand what you did wrong other than you acknowledge a lapse?

Thanks Mogley. I know I heard , "Moving up." No one acknowledges saying that.

I falls down to me, being the "driver."

My Job.

Apparently, my *.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as a kid and over many years I heard many times especially the older fellows
    "I came here looking for a job and leaving looking for one is not a loss "
    edited November -1
    No worries.

I have been wanting to, leave that place for ages.

This merely takes a short cut, to that avenue.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are a resourceful person. What ever happens you'll land on your feet, most likely in mid step and moving forward.

I've been off of work since April 8th. that's the day I had the 2nd knee replaced. It's also the day the hospital I was working at shut down. People ask me what 's going on that I haven't been hired yet. I tell them because I haven't applied yet. If I apply I'll get hired and I'm not ready for that. Hell, I get offers without applying. There is so much work out there it's hard to just be a bum.

What ever you do get your CPAP, your health depends on it. Get lots of wood laid in, plenty of taco fixins and cold beer, you'll be good til spring.
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:
    You are a resourceful person. What ever happens you'll land on your feet, most likely in mid step and moving forward.

I've been off of work since April 8th. that's the day I had the 2nd knee replaced. It's also the day the hospital I was working at shut down. People ask me what 's going on that I haven't been hired yet. I tell them because I haven't applied yet. If I apply I'll get hired and I'm not ready for that. Hell, I get offers without applying. There is so much work out there it's hard to just be a bum.

What ever you do get your CPAP, your health depends on it. Get lots of wood laid in, plenty of taco fixins and cold beer, you'll be good til spring.
    edited November -1
    Been wondering what the CPAP, will cost me out of pocket.

Layed awake most of last night, thinking about/figuring things out. Did not sleep, more than a couple hours.

Screwed on the Insurance aspect of things.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your situation Ken. The safety culture you describe is certainly old school. We found working with those that had a safety incident sometimes make them a good advocate for safe behaviors. Hopefully you will get good news on Friday but if not, I'm sure you will find a new position. Hopefully a place with a current outlook to their safety culture. Cooking some BBQ sounds good but you may still have some early hours if they serve lunch. Need to smoke it low and slow :-)
    Regards, MAALOX
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Wishing the best for you.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been wondering what the CPAP, will cost me out of pocket.

Layed awake most of last night, thinking about/figuring things out. Did not sleep, more than a couple hours.

Screwed on the Insurance aspect of things.

If you have the prescription for the machine you can buy it anywhere. The doctor may write xyz brand but you can get what your want as long as it does what the doctor prescribed. You can get set up probably for less than you may think.

Since CPAPs aren't sold on GB I guess it's okay to post sites for them. This is the machine I use: https://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/36015-ResMed-S9-Autoset.aspx it works great for me, I'm sure some others would as well. It is auto adjusting and is set within the parameters of the prescription.
    Tack on about $200 more for the humidifier. Then you'll need your mask and head gear, $125-200. When you are ready to buy give them a call and talk to a rep to make sure you get every thing you need.

I bought a humidifier but quit using it. I just don't need it and it saves a lot of time and work not using it. I also tried the climate control tubing along with the humidifier, I no longer use that either. I use a nasal pillow and I do not know if you use a full mask how much difference that may, or may not, make.

The company on the website is the one I've been using, there are others. If you buy from a local medical equipment place you will pay much more. My local place wasn't just more expensive it was ridiculously so.

You can get a battery pack on Amazon for about $325 plus what ever extras you add on. I don't have one but have been thinking of getting one. Be good of the power goes out but also for camping.