In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Know anyone serving life in prison?

Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
Do you know someone serving life in prison?

Why did they get that sentence?

I only know two.
One a co-employee back in the 70's ... sentenced for rape of a 2 year old.
The other owned a local business some 15 years ago .. sentenced for underage sexual content & selling kiddie phorn.
:twisted:
The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know him personally, but a Co-Workers Uncle (I'm going to say about 58yrs of age.) Got in to it with another younger Co-Worker, a couple years ago. The guy had poured gas all over his truck, and was about to light it up. Co-Workers Uncle ("Snake") pulled a NAA .22mag revolver, and shot him right between the eyes.

Found guilty of Murder about 6 mo. ago.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fella in my high school class was doing life for beating a cop to death but the namby pamby state parole board bought into his line of "I'm a new man!" BS and let him out a couple years ago. He should have been hung.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to high school with a guy who went on to become a big drug dealer after we graduated high school.

He must have been quite an entrepreneur as the FBI was at the time of his arrest comparing him to Mexican drug cartels.

His family was extremely wealthy- having sold a private business built by his grandfather for the tune of 50 million dollars.
    He was sentenced to 20 years and served about 12 or so in Federal prison. I remember he went to the super-max in Colorado where the Unibomber is kept.

He has been out a handful of years and I think he is now a bartender or something like that.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Warbirds wrote:
    I went to high school with a guy who went on to become a big drug dealer after we graduated high school.

He must have been quite an entrepreneur as the FBI was at the time of his arrest comparing him to Mexican drug cartels.

His family was extremely wealthy- having sold a private business built by his grandfather for the tune of 50 million dollars.
    He was sentenced to 20 years and served about 12 or so in Federal prison. I remember he went to the super-max in Colorado where the Unibomber is kept.

He has been out a handful of years and I think he is now a bartender or something like that.

My best friends son did 8 years for bank robbery at supermax out side of Florence, Co. He was not housed in Supermax proper but in the same complex. Funny how a kid can be brought up in a loving caring home and still turn bad.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RobOz wrote:
    Warbirds wrote:

My best friends son did 8 years for bank robbery at supermax out side of Florence, Co. He was not housed in Supermax proper but in the same complex. Funny how a kid can be brought up in a loving caring home and still turn bad.

Didn't really know the guy that killed one of my workers 30 years ago. In the trial where I was called on to identify my workers car and stuff that the * had in his possession when arrested he threatened to get even and kill me too. Not to worried as he got something like 99 years with no parole.

Last week a 17 year old neighbor kid was picked up for armed robbery. This in in a village of about 800 people. There is a dollar store, general store and a small branch library. Yup, you guessed it - the * held up the LIBRARY! He made his escape by bicycle and was picked up quickly. Sure hope the theft of over due book fines was worth it. Because of the gun I believe he will be charged as an adult.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    No not life that I can think of right off the top of my head, but I personally know at least three people who have done four to eight years time in state prisons. One has done at least a couple passes through due to parole violations.

Well wait, I think the son of the parole violator is doing life for killing his girlfriend with a 12 gauge in their front yard. I don't really know him, but met both him and his brother when they were tweens or early teens. Both were hellions......
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually two...one man and one woman. The guy is a distant cousin who killed two women and buried them on the property of his employer. He's doing Life with no parole up in Dannemora Prison in New York.

The woman married my well to do widowed brother in law. Shot him in the back of the head while he was making coffee in their kitchen. Turns out she was a black widow whose first husband was also shot in the head. She claimed he committed suicide..the hand gun was found in the right hand of this left handed man.

During her trial , it turned out she had tried to kill him previously by sticking and lighting a rag into the gas spout of his Caddy while he was sitting in it. Her case and trial was a feature on NBC's Dateline.

She is now doing Life with no parole in Colorado.

Every year I send her a calendar....
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sister and her boyfriend at the time got arrested for dealing drugs. She pled not guilty, and got community service and rehab/ time served. He pled guilty, and got life.

Don?t remember how much the guy was supposed to do, but died about a year in. He was in his 30?s. Full of cancer.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    icdoty I watched that Dateline show about Psycho Woman. And here she is, doing life in Colorado. Mean looking.

https://deadlywomen.fandom.com/wiki/Miriam_Helmick
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does marriage count? :D
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    I know of 2. One, a guy a few years older than I who was a friend of an older brother. He was born pretty well to do having a dad who was a doctor and his mother came from a rich family. He was diagnosed to be bi-polar in his early 30's and couldn't hold any kind of job but lived very comfortably in his mothers mansion home.

He was a gun enthusiast and had quite a collection of just about every kind and type of hi-powered rifle you could think of. He would always carry a handgun with him and that was the reason for the incident that put him away.

Back around 1997 or so, he was outside his house mowing lawn with his usual sidearm holstered at his side. According to court records he was legal in doing so but a neighbor called the local police and pitched a complaint. An officer who knew "John" went to his house and got into a bit of an altercation with him trying to take his gun away. John, pushed the officer down and made a bee line into his house.

By then, half the local police force came with lights flashing and sirens howling. The downed officer got up and went to the homes front door. The armed force around the home were poised with weapons aimed on the place. A single shot was heard coming from inside and all hell broke loose! The policeman that was on the porch went down in a barrage of gunfire that turned the massive front door into swiss cheese. When the smoke cleared, John, inside lay wounded and the officer was hurt mortally and later died in hospital.

His trial was a big local deal and the dead officer became a hero who later had city offices named in his honor. John got life with no parole. There has been a lot of talk in private circles that the policeman was actually killed by friendly fire. It would take a true miracle to change the outcome of this incident.

I have written enough for now. I may later share a bit about the 2nd convicted felon I know that is serving life in the pen.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    icdoty I watched that Dateline show about Psycho Woman. And here she is, doing life in Colorado. Mean looking.

https://deadlywomen.fandom.com/wiki/Miriam_Helmick

Yup that's her. The Colorado police did a great job. When they picked her up, she was back in Florida cultivating a third affluent gent. At the time she was identifying herself as my dead brother in laws first wife...she had all the dead woman's ID and was driving around in my dead sister in laws car.

Hardcore...and evil.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to school with a fellow from middle school thru early high school . he seemed to be always getting in trouble and pushing the limits had not seen or heard much about him for years
    about 25 years ago =/- my brother got a year for not paying child support ( a story for another day ) any way I would call him once a week
    he told me during a call you remember Ron xxxxxx he ask If I was your brother , seems he killed his wife and took her to the police station
    JMHO guessing the way the systems work on such cases , I would bet he was out a long time ago

side note every time I talked with my brother during his stay I just had to ask :twisted: :twisted: " you got a BF or 3 yet " just to piss him off .
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ltcdoty wrote:

snip . . .
    Every year I send her a calendar....

I would probably send her an appointment book.

They are broken down into hours.

:lol:
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does marriage count? :D

Noe that is just too funny! :lol:
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not life but I had a co worker who is doing 15 years for drug trafficking. Very young guy with a family. We had the FBI show up at our work looking for him.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, went to school with them. Killed an Oklahoma State Trooper. Labor Day was his 37th year in Prison,
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep. had a party at the folk's house and when they came back in town, a bag of quarters my dad had stashed away was missing. one of my friends thought it was his cousin from out of town, who was briefly there, who later turned out to steal a VCR from some other relatives. so I thought it was him.

not too long after, we were at another party and he was there. I said gimme back my bag of quarters. (like he's going to have it) he said what are you talking about. so I grabbed him by the shirt and hauled him outside so he could tell me that. one of his friends walked up and said you aren't going to hurt my friend. so now the confrontation was between me and him. we stared at each other for a while, by that time the thief had slinked away, so screwit. back to partying. later on I was listening as he was bragging to some others how he hit some dude on the head with a hammer and turned him into a vegetable but got off on a technicality. he thought it was hilarious. I thought it was disgusting, but I wasn't part of that conversation. I stayed in some other corner of the party because the troll nauseated me.

a year or three later, in the news, one of the troll's friends got his car stereo stolen and they thought they knew who did it. so they conned that thief into riding in a car with them, where they took him out in the country and he marched him into the woods with a shotgun. you can guess the rest. life in prison.

now if I would have beat up his friend, you can bet he would have come after me and I wouldn't even see it coming.
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a guy who was 3 years behind me in school who is serving life in prison. He had worked at the drive in theater that my friend managed. He and his girlfriend stabbed a guy to death in Des Moines Iowa a few years later. It sounded like it was some sort of a love triangle.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serving a life in prison sentence, no. However, a stepdaughter who is a heroin addict that seems to spend her life in prison...yes... Very, very tough..
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spent a month on a jury. We convicted the guy for 1sr degree murder & a couple of other counts. I went to the sentencing hearing & he got something like 300 years. So even in the DPRK I expect he will be there for quite a long time. Of course he was an Indian who killed a white man so I suppose he might be out already. We found out after the trial that he was getting over $10,000 a month from his tribe so he can afford a good lawyer.
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    l was 26 years into serving a life sentence with the 'baby's mama' when l finally managed an escape to FREEDOM with only the clothes on my back :D
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago, a local "gangsta" sort of worked in my office. I think his real job was selling drugs to co-workers, he never did any work that I saw. Eventually he was arrested & given life in prison for murder 1. His cousin told me that the gangsta told his family, "They framed me; I didn't kill the guy. But, there were a couple that I DID kill, & they never knew I did them, so I guess it's all right."

Neal
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several

One came back from OEF killed his wife, chopped her up and scattered her remains along Plank Road on Ft Bragg. He was in jail and convicted when he hung himself.

Another guy I know is about to be in Jail for the rest of his life. He killed 2 guys in a fight. He says Self Defense but its very sketchy. I would have never thought he would do that but you never know.

I was in 2/75 when the assistant Armorer took a 1911 from the arms room and used it to "execute" two people at a store he robbed this was in the early 80's and he was from Ireland. He got life.
    RLTW

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I met a coworkers father who was driving his OTR truck - he had done 30+ years for what was nearly a double homicide - one man dead and one paralyzed below the waist...

He claimed self defense - the other guys had been loosely mobbed up with the remnants of Nicki scarfos crew in North East Philly and had a great Jewish lawyer of some renown...

He seemed pretty normal to me.

Lot of time 30+ years - was a different world when he got out - he went right back to the same home in the same neighborhood - driving produce trucks and making bio-diesel in an outbuilding....

What happens when you retire after 65 with 30+ years spent in prison and say 18 spent in school...

Mike
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strangely, I have known several. I worked for the PD that looked after the Governor & First Family of VA. The Governor's mansion is at the State Capitol in Richmond. Back in the 70s about half the groundskeepers at the Capitol were trustees from the State Pen. They would bicycle down to the Capitol in the early AM, work, and go back to the pen that evening.

When Spiro Agnew was the VP, he was coming down for a visit with our Gov. The Secret Service starting checking the background of staff around the mansion and threw a CLASSIC hissy fit.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no. but have had a couple of friends get a stint in the big house for being stupid....and one was big enuff to take care of himself and the other smaller got his poop chute used as a luv muscle by big nigerians..BOTH have stayed on the straight side of life ever since.......prison is NOT day care