In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nice shotgun

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847654937

That is a nice little 28ga Ricci.

My Dad loved 28 ga shotguns. He said the 28 and the 16ga were the best patterning guns because the shot column is more square. I know one thing though my Dad was a heck of a wing shot and when I was a kid and we still had Quail in Ga we would go hunt them. He always carried a 28 and he would nail those birds with that little gun.

It broke his heart when I bought a Rem 870 12 ga ;)
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that is really nice. Would look even better sitting alongside my 20ga. SXS.

Not in the cards just now.

You have been featuring some really nice stuff Ricci.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    because the shot column is more square

Uh, that makes no sense to me, how would that work? They all have round barrels as wide as they are tall, so each is a close to "square" as any other. Given that the loads are adjusted for the barrels, I don't see that one would be more cubic that another considering the load traveling down the barrel in 3 dimensions.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can easily look it up Hedog it has to do with the weight of shot to powder and the height of the shot compared to the bore diameter.

I am no expert on shotgun stuff I am more of a rifle guy.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    You can easily look it up Hedog it has to do with the weight of shot to powder and the height of the shot compared to the bore diameter.

You are ahead of me Sam, I am more of a handgun guy. Who owns some rifles and shotguns.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,010 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes sir,very nice. :):):)
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a nice looking bird getter. I'm not a SxS guy unless there is a 3rd or 4 barrel involved.

My favorite gunsmith insisted that a shorter stack of shot works better. When you are swinging the barrel to hit a moving target, the first shot out the bore has a different path than the last. Shooting at stationary target doesn't reveal this form of lineal shot spread.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what I love about the 28ga is the recoil, they kick about like a 410, with the pattern of a 20ga, and a 50 caliber lead round ball will fit snuggly in a 28ga hull, I have played with these homemade "slugs" but haven't hunted with one.......
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only problem with a 28 compared to a 20 is the cost of factory ammo , 28's are about double of 20 ga.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only problem with a 28 compared to a 20 is the cost of factory ammo , 28's are about double of 20 ga.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

28's are hard to come by.

I have 3 20ga. (Savage 24V .30/.30 over a 20ga., a Savage Stevens 311A SXS, and most recently a Western Field 550CD Pump.) Ammunition is not hard to come by, nor is it rediculously expensive.

Would not mind owning that particular firearm though. The ultimate owner, will be very proud.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:
    Sam06 wrote:

You are ahead of me Sam, I am more of a handgun guy. Who owns some rifles and shotguns.

The longer the shot column the more chance of deformed shot from contact with the bore as it travels the length of the barrel. Full length shot cups have cured some of this problem but not all. That is why a .410 always had a tighter constriction for each choke designation. It is an attempt to control some of those out of round pellets to keep them in the pattern. When fired the shot is moving so fast that I doubt any amount of barrel swing would cause the shot pattern to move and spread out. Shot columns do string out as friction, deformed shot, etc..., have an effect on the pellets. With the same weight and number of pellets, the shorter shot column tends to be much denser and more uniform than a long skinny column. Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a cute little shotgun!
    As I've mentioned a few thousand times, I love a 28 gauge!
    Currently have 2 and am negotiating on a 3rd.
    Ammo costs more, but nothing shoots like a 28 gauge!
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E=MC squared :shock:
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1