Need a Civil War Rifle

A forum for Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting enthusiasts

Moderators: Spider7115, montanajoe

allen griggs

Need a Civil War Rifle

Post by allen griggs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:13 pm

I want to buy a Civil War rifle. I bought a Zouave from Dixie 30 years ago, good rifle killed some deer with it but I screwed up the barrel, want a new one.

I want a rifle that is good looking, and above all accurate with a minie ball.

Sam06

Re: Need a Civil War Rifle

Post by Sam06 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:03 pm

RLTW

montanajoe

Post by montanajoe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Sam06

Post by Sam06 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 am

Thats kind of spendy Joe :o
RLTW

firstharmonic

Post by firstharmonic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:53 pm

" I bought a Zouave from Dixie 30 years ago, good rifle killed some deer with it but I screwed up the barrel, want a new one."

I think you answered your own question. Why not pick up one from the auction side? Or when you say that you want a new one do you mean you a NIB, not previously owned one?

allen griggs

Post by allen griggs » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Yeah, montana, I like that one for just $4500. But I haven't won the lottery.

I see a lot of guns made these days by Chiappa. I never heard of 'em. Do they make good rifles?

I have been looking at the 1861 Springfield by Pedersoli I know Pedersoli makes good guns.

I was looking at a 3 band Enfield by Chiappa at a gun store the other day, it was the only Civil War rifle they had. It looked to be a well made gun but, it was weird I couldn't get my eye down on the sight. Had to put it on the 700 yard sight to be able to acquire the sights. So nix to that one.
Had no trouble with that on my Zouave.

Obviously I have to try and handle the gun before I buy. Looks like a trip to Dixie Gun Works is in order because they have every gun in the world and, last time I was up there, every rifle in the catalog they had one on display, and you could pick it up and handle it.

Brookwood

Post by Brookwood » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 pm

I have owned a few Enfield types over the years including a really nice Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter carbine. Turner Kirkland (Navy Arms founder) took that rifle big game hunting in Africa! That one was my favorite because of the heavy brush I hunted in. A good manufacturer IMO is Antonio Zoli out of Italy. Not made anymore but they are around and up for sale often.

My least favorite rifle was a 3 band Enfield made by Euro Arms. A real clunker that was very difficult to hit anything I aimed at. I cast my own mini's and have always wondered if my mold was not up to par with that Euro's bore.

He Dog

Post by He Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:41 am

I agree Pedersoli is good. The Chiappa's I have seen have been junk. You hit it with Dixie and hands on. I think Uberti also makes good repros.

gruntled2

Post by gruntled2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:24 pm

I have one of the replica Confederate rifles that I intend to take to a gun show to try to sell. I had it on consignment for over a year with no offers before I took it back. I also have a bayonet & a bullet mold. I am NOT offering it for sale here but I would like to get some idea of what I should ask for it.

roswellnative

Post by roswellnative » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:38 pm

I find Chiapas quality to be pretty high. The prices are low as well.

I have a BP Remington I think it’s 50 Ml. I know you want a civil war gun but the in-line is the bees knees in a wet hunt and/or tree stand.

Also check pendersoli. They make good replica bp
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

charliemeyer007

Post by charliemeyer007 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:06 pm

I built a 58 Remington Zouave from a Miroku kit back in the late 70's. Wonderful shooting rifle with a patched round ball. 175 gr of FFFg and a moose milk patch was a good accurate hunting load. Sadly I sold it when I thought I was done with black powder.

I was given a 50 TC Mountain magnum. Not a good round ball shooter. Does ok with a elongated slug.. Really shoots good with 44 or 45 pistol bullets and the plastic sabots.