In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thoughts On Underhammer Heritage Rifle

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
I just acquired an underhammer percussion rifle in a trade over the weekend in 36 caliber. It is stamped on the barrel Heritage along with Allen and Numerick on the barrel.

The bore is very nice and the action seems to function well but seems about as simplistic as I've ever run across with the trigger guard acting as a hammer spring! The rifle also is equipped with a brass hand guard rail behind the trigger guard and a Lyman tang mounted peep sight\front ring sight.

It will be a while before I can take this one out to the range for some testing (weather thing) but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience and or any information about this unique rifle.

Comments

• firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had this same underhammer rifle (Numrich/Hopkins & Allen) in .45 caliber; actually .44 in real life. They were popular in the 70's and were known for being accurate. Simple? You bet. Means not much to go wrong. Barrels were made almost always by Douglas and were top quality.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You lucky duck !!
    I always wanted one of those .
    Stan
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    Stan, for some strange reason lately, I seem to be finding a few unusual muzzle loaders that have followed me home.

A few months ago this fine little Navy Arms half stocked mule ear (side slapper) in 32 caliber was added to my stable.

I did get to shoot it out in my backyard range and boy what a fun little plinker it was!

Going to be introducing my grandson's to the muzzle loading scene shortly and this petite piece should work well for smaller folks!
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all of the years that was advertised in the gun magazines, I have only seen one or two at a gun show. I have never seen one in use at the range or in the woods. Based on other Numrich m/l guns I have seen or owned I would carefully check it over for (1) proper sight alignment, (2) proper sear and safety notch engagement.