In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thoughts on a new direction for BP revolvers

stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
Out shooting my 1851 Navy the other day and , even though I shot one handed competition (Bullseye) in the past , I found the weight of the Navy offputting , i.e. the shoulder didn't let this old boy get a good sight pic.
Well, that led to thinking about a BP revolver (full size) with a min weight for us old timers. A solution would be to make the frame, including trigger guard, and the barrel and ramrod out of Aluminum alloy. All other components (cylinder , springs, hand etc.) from standard (steel) parts bin items. Of course the barrel would need a rifled steel liner. All this is not undiscovered country mfg wise and I figure it would halve the weight. I'd buy one..would you guys ?
Stan

Comments

• iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 36 cal "Navy", heavy? Surely you jest!!

The rear sight being a 'V' in the hammer, that moves once the trigger is pulled isn't the best of sighting systems. At least it's that way on my 1851 Colt
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do make a 1862 Police Model .36 cal., listed at 1 1/2 lbs., 5 1/2 in. barrel. Also, there is the .31 cal. 1849 Model. An aluminum frame may not work for the Colt design. I have read that the cylinder rod in the brass frame can shoot loose over time (no personal experience). An aluminum loading rod may not take the stress.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input guys. I am looking for a small, short barrel pocket model to add to the group. I think the Wells Fargo would fill that bill nicely --- small, short barrel, 5 shot and no loading lever to add weight. That said I like the lines of the Navy . Bad shoulders have knocked me out of Bullseye (every ounce counts when you have trouble holding an empty hand out straight) so I look for the least weight. As for the sight picture , I did improve the notch in the hammer ---it's the shakiness coming from a stressed joint (weight again).
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HELLO stankemp glad to see another old BULLS EYE SHOOTER Did you ever go to national matches at Camp PERRY [?]. I know it is not black powder but have you tried the Ruger mark 4 light weight