In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Caps for the Ruger Old Army

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
Well I bought it right here 3 years ago but never have fired it.
I have heard that there is some problem getting caps to fit.

What size caps work on these guns?

PS. I do have a half pound of black powder. But, where can you get black powder these days?

I was looking on youtube at a video on how to clean this gun, Good God it looked complicated like building a damn abomb or something.

I like to shoot 'em but don't like to clean 'em.

Comments

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last I bought some years ago was from the Maine Powder House. I don't know if I recall correctly or not - but in the cobwebs of my mind I think I remember someone mentioning The Track of the Wolf.

However the "Haz-Mat" fees were such that it was only practical for me to order what I would consider a life time supply..

Best Regards - AQH
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    Hogdon 777 works well or pyrodex pistol. as for caps, try to find some #10
    cleaning, just remove the grips and make 'pistol soup' (boil in soapy water, rinse, blow dry and oil).
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cleaning at the end of the day is part of the Black Powder game. If you don't want to clean (and preserve your gun), don't shoot it. That's just the way it is.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK I bought 3 pounds from Grafs, fffg Goex.

That is their minimum order, hell, everybody else wanted you to buy a 25 pound case.

Also bought a set of screwdrivers from Brownells, hell you never know, I may get back into black powder shooting again. Screwdriver set cost $75 but I have been watching cleaning videos and you got to have good screwdrivers.
    Just bought an 1873 Colt Pietta from Dixie yesterday. The gun that never existed, the classic SAA Colt in cap and ball.

See, I bought my first cap and ball in 1966 in the halls of Chamblee High School in Atlanta, my buddy on the football team Bob Macy had bought it mail order from Dixie Gun Works.
    I really liked that pistol and shot it quite a bit, and did a lot of muzzleloading hunting in the next few decades with some rifles.

But in the last decade I have just gotten away from it. Got tired of cleaning 'em.

But I do use several cap and ball pistols for household defense, along with several other guns. I like old time stuff.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are ever to stop at "Loves" in Ellisville (Columbia County, Florida) or the rest-stop about 2 miles away from there in I-75 or at the intersection of I-10 & I-75 also in Columbia County --- Give me a shout. I will bring you a can or two of different brands.

Best Regards - AQH
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK Adams I will keep you in mind, would like to see you but I hardly ever make it to Florida.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or New Mexico.[:(]
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Well I bought it right here 3 years ago but never have fired it.
    I have heard that there is some problem getting caps to fit.

What size caps work on these guns?

PS. I do have a half pound of black powder. But, where can you get black powder these days?

I was looking on youtube at a video on how to clean this gun, Good God it looked complicated like building a damn abomb or something.

I like to shoot 'em but don't like to clean 'em.

I use RWS # 10 caps on my ROA's. Have tried CCI and Remington but didn't fit well.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a very early Ruger Old Army years ago. I never did find a number or brand of caps that properly fit the original stainless nipples.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Balliston is a good cleaner for BP firearms.
    RLTW

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    I just use water and a dab of Dawn dish soap to clean my black powder guns. Works well and is cheap. Also use a coat of RIG grease down the bores after I get them DRY. Never had any problems with rust.
  • 44mag444mag4 Member Posts: 47
    Maybe, I look at things different but, it takes less time to clean my Ruger Old Army that it does to reload cartridges for modern guns. 
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Very best way to clean any black powder firearm, fill bath tub with hot soapy water, insert self and firearm in tub, soak for about 1 hour then dry off well. Oil firearm properly afterwards.
    When I clean my long guns I like to take a bucket of hot soapy water and poke the breech into the bucket and take a jag with patch on it a churn away. The hot water makes everything dry out better.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had a ruger Old Army for a lot of years, but as I recall #11 caps were recommended. That said, there don't seem to be a lot of uniformity from brand to brand. Find one that fits snugly. If need be, after putting the cap in place, pinch the sides just a bit to snug it up.