In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger old army 1st year of production?

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
Well, traded into a Ruger Old Army at a local gunshow. Always liked these things! Checked the SN today on ruger's websight, and it looks to be first year of production! 140-01xxx....so one of the first 2000 made! Of course someone in the past let it get pretty bad, and bluing is missing on the barrel and loading lever in some places.

Does anyone specialize in restoring these things? Might get it done.....well, after I shoot it a lot!

Comments

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a hand me down stainless version, haven't shot it yet. It looks new without the box and stuff. My first pistol ever was a 44 Remington frame Italian copy. I shot that pistol a lot, the bluing took a beating around the fire places but the rest held up good because I cleaned/oiled it soon after firing.

I would just 'cold blue' it as needed. It will never be original again, so any extra collector value is gone IMHO. Enjoy shooting it.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cold blue would be my solution. Normaly professonal re finish will cost more than its worth and a re finish is never worth as much as a pristine original. Shoot it and enjoy it.