In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

T/C .50 barrel question

reddhawkreddhawk Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I'm looking down inside my T/C .50 black powder muzzle loading rifle and there appears to be a protruding ring just above the bottom of the barrel. I can feel it with my cleaning rod, too.
Question: Is this ring to prevent pushing the round ball down further onto the charge? It would allow the charge to remain below this constriction where the ball is resting on.
Thank you.

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ring you see is the end of the threaded breech plug. The reduced diameter of the hole in the plug isn't deep enough to hold a full charge of powder. What it does do is get a small portion of the charge down to the flash hole where the cap can more readily ignite the powder charge.

It is something similar to, or a variation of, the Manton chambered breech.
    f2r7H14l.jpg

Trying to fire the rifle with such a small charge of powder would probably leave a PRB lodged in the barrel.
  • reddhawkreddhawk Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    asphalt cowboy, thank you.
    This drawing appears to be what I'm seeing. I was concerned it is some kind of lead/powder buildup which could be detrimental.