In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Schwacker crossbow broadheads question

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
I am new to crossbow hunting, but not new to bow hunting. I was having trouble with my broadheads sailing higher than my field points, making accurate shots almost impossible . The talk seems to be that the Schwacker 1.75" crossbow broadheads will not do this. Has anyone had experience with these? Is it as they claim? I shoot a Ten Point RDX bow.

Comments

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I have no Idea on them.
    I'm also new to the crossbow game.
    After sighting my new one in, I switched to the G5 heads I'd bought for it.
    It shot consistently 4" to the right.
    I just ended up setting the scope to the broadheads.
    Still accurate but not where the field points hit.
    A lot of the broadheads claim "flies like a field point" but, after talking with other crossbow shooters, I only found 1 that hit the same place with field tips and broadheads.

I only shoot fixed heads also.
    I had an early on bad experience with mechanical heads and now I do not trust any of them.
    I know that they have come a long way since my incident but not taking any chances.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    A buddy bought the hypodermics.
    Shot at a coyote, missed, and noticed on retrieving that the head never opened or tried to open even after hitting the ground.
    Shoots like a field tip because it is. :x
    Why I just shoot fixed.
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A buddy bought the hypodermics.
    Shot at a coyote, missed, and noticed on retrieving that the head never opened or tried to open even after hitting the ground.
    Shoots like a field tip because it is. :x
    Why I just shoot fixed.

Chief, Not trying change anyone's mind, but I have been using Rage mechanical heads for over 10 years. I have never had one fail to open. The current ones with the shock collar hold up excellent even at the 420 FPS that my Ghost slings them at. Two inch slot through the heart dumps them darn near where they stood.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I shoot the Rage mechanicals also.

When you pull a Rage mechanical out of the ground or out of anything it has penetrated the blades can and will go back to the forward position looking like they never opened if the blades are not bent or distorted. The blades are not mechanically locked open. When the arrow is pushed forward they stay open. Sometimes the little ears that hold the blades CLOSED in the shock collar break off after being shot into a animal or object and the blades look ok at a casual glance but are not, blades require replacement..

Also keep a heads up about buying mechanicals on-line. China has got into cloning mechanicals including Rage. I've not stumbled into them yet but when you see a price for mechanicals that seems to good to be true, heads up.

I fought the broadheads not shooting to same point as field points out of crossbows and had to go to mechanicals and I shoot the Rage brands with good results.

What I found also was when buying carbon arrows for the fast shooting crossbows some of the arrows would not hit at same place as others. I found I could fine tune such if they had moon nocks by indexing the nock to different places. Sometimes moving the nock only 1/8 inch would change the impact at 30 yards by 2-3 inches. Sometimes I would have to turn the nock to a different cock fletch to get the spine correct. Place a witness mark on the shaft and the nock and try such if you have some arrows that consistently shoot to different point than the majority. You are tuning the spine of the arrow. If it tunes in on a different cock fletch re-color the cock fletch with a permanent marker pen.

If it won't tune in doing this just use it as a unloader arrow or a arrow to finish off a downed animal.

Added:

I now see some China clone Schwackers and Rage clones on flea bay.

12pcs Durable Archery Shooting Broadheads 2 Blade Cut Hunting 2.0 inch. NEW $18 from China

Also see the Schacker’s from China