In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sighting in??

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
OK so now that my son is at the age he is hunting with me for a few years now, he has expressed interest in bow hunting this year. I am going to dig out the Barnett crossbow and get back into the sport. My question is this:

will field tips and broadheads (of the same weight of course) impact at the same POI??
I remember when I used to sight in with the broadheads (125gr thunderheads) that I COULD NOT pull the bolt out of the target. I had to push it all the way through, which IMHO damaged the fletchings.

Also, I seem to remember something about the broad heads having to weigh 125grs with a crossbow, but that may have been "bubba information". Can I use lighter broadheads?? and is there any advantage or disadvantage??

The bow is a Barnett Rhino Quad

Comments

• MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have zero experience with a crossbow as they are illegal for hunting where I'm at (I am not old enough, which I believe at 60 you can use them and I'm not handicapped). As far as your poi, most broadheads I have used in the past few years have also included the appropriate "test tips" which supposedly mimic the broadheads flight almost exactly. In my experiences with a compound bow, store bought field points, the practice tips or the broadheads themself all shoot more or less the exact same..

I've run into the same problem with too much penetration with the arrow. I just aim for a random spot (but markable) and not the bullseye like the 100 people before me did, seemed to work out just fine for me

Again no experience with a crossbow so all of this is probably null and void! [:D][:D]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I have zero crossbow knowledge but, with my bow, my broadheads did not hit POI.
    The heads I shoot even state they "shoot just like a field tip."
    I had to very so slightly move my rest a fraction of a fraction for the broadheads to hit where my field tips did. I'm saying that they hit about an inch off at 20 yards.
    I have a friend who never shoots his broadheads and just assumes that they will hit the same. I have to know they do.
    My advice is to shoot the broadheads to be sure where they hit.
    Not sure if there is a crossbow specific target that would help on the removal of the bolt.
    Like I said tho, I have 0 crossbow knowledge
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a specific broadhead target or a cheap foam one for sighting in. When I hunted with a crossbow it was a waste of time using field tips. Crossbows don't really need shot consistently like a bow an arrow for practice, once zero'ed they should be ready to rock and roll unless you drop them or something. Try zero'ing in with a broad head and go from there. I am speaking of using the traditional broad heads and not expandables. If you go the expandable route I'm sure they will be close to a field tip in accuracy. I always used 125 grain heads in a x-bow as well. I always liked muzzy 125's.

Remember if you're shooting low or to the right at 10 yards it will be even worse at 20. Always sight in close then back up gradually. Shouldn't take but half a dozen shots to get you in the ringer. Also hay and cheap foam make good backstops.

Good Luck this season!
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Barnett crossbow. I've found that target points hit very close to SOME broadhead POI. I use Thunderhead and Muzzy 125 grain broadheads to keep my bolt weight up to optimum for the bows.
    After destroying one of the layered foam targets with only 50-60 shots, I've been using a target made from two layers of 2" rigid foam separated by about 6"(home made). I find it much easier to extract the broadheads from this target than from a solid foam block. Even with this target, I often have to unscrew the head before pulling the bolt if shot under 30 yards.
    Last year I caused myself serious aggravation when "sighting in" by using poor form and a solid support under the front of the X-bow. For whatever reason, this caused my POI to be 6" higher than when held in typical hunting fashion. I shot under 3 deer before realizing what the problem was.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You asked:
    will field tips and broadheads (of the same weight of course) impact at the same POI??
    Thread is couple months old but anyway!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes!
    Most times NO!
    I did not get this info by reading a book, it's from hands on testing of crossbows.
    Even arrows (bolts)that appear the same need to be tested and pick out the ones that shoot to same POI with field tips first. It's not uncommon for 2 or more out of 6 arrows to fly to a different POI and maybe not even group from one shot to the next.
    You can sometimes tune a arrow to group with others by rotating the nock to another cock fletch, on both carbon and aluminum arrows, especially carbon arrows. This is termed tuning the spine!
    The more draw weight a cross bow has the more they tend to be contrary and not user friendly about tuning to the arrows and broadheads.
    Sometimes a mechanical such as a tru-fire or rage has to be used to get good groups. These expanding heads also have a practice head type.
    When first testing arrows (bolts) for consistency I purposely blunt the end of the practice head tip so as it don't penetrate deeply into a target.

Here is couple of mechanical types that normally group to same POI as a practice tip on flea bay and the tru-fires are a good buy it now price. 272037945522

If you are going to try non-mechanicals fixed blade types, first take a shot with the blades removed from the head, then install the blades and test. If the crossbow is a fast shooter the arrow will most likely hit at different places when the blades are installed and may not even hit in the same area if other practice shots are taken because the arrows will have a tendency to SAIL and setting the blades in-line with the fletching really don't help much either.
    I do not like the high price of mechanicals but if you are going to hunt you need to at least respect the animal (Bambi and Rudolph) and know if your set-up shoots straight and true. It's not uncommon now days to get $12 or more into the price of a single bolt and have to break down and buy a target rated for broadheads or go to a pro shop and use their target.
    Good luck to Ya!