In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

getting back into bow hunting

mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
Looking to to get back in the woods bow hunting for next year, looking at a bit of an older bow to start, its a 2007 pse mossy oak x, anybody got any experience with one? The shop is asking 219 and that includes the shop putting a new main string on the bow, old one is badly frayed, its a complete setup with sights, quiver, whisker biscuit and a few arrows

Comments

• DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that exact bow! I took 2 deer with it this season. Great bow and $219 is a excellent price if the bow is in good shape. It is fast, quiet and accurate. I posted a picture of the bow with a doe I got back in October in an earlier thread. Any questions feel free to ask.

Don
  • mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    I have that exact bow! I took 2 deer with it this season. Great bow and $219 is a excellent price if the bow is in good shape. It is fast, quiet and accurate. I posted a picture of the bow with a doe I got back in October in an earlier thread. Any questions feel free to ask.

Don

what sorta drop are you getting out past 30? I usually wouldn't shoot that far but I know a couple spots where its a possibility
    edited November -1
    The bow shoots very flat out to 30 yards, then drops about 4 inches every 10 yards beyond 30. I use a single pin Pro Sight and shoot 27" Gold Tip Hunter arrows with 100 grain broadhead. From 30 yards dead on, the arrow drops about 4 inches at 40 yards and 8 inches at 50 yards.

Don
    edited November -1
    Ah, that sounds perfect for the woods here in Wisconsin, i think its settled, im buying it Friday after im payed, hopefully if im lucky i can squeeze in a couple late season sits amd get a doe or something after a little practice, ive shot bow plenty just been a little while
    edited November -1
    I think you will be happy with the bow. I'm not one of those archers that upgrade bows every year or every so many years. I find something that works for me and something I like and I keep it as long as I can find parts for it- if it breaks. I bought mine new from Cabelas as a PSE closeout deal from the "Bargain Cave" in 2008 ($399.00 IIRC). It was a stripped bow and I added everything to it and got it dialed in. I was and still am amazed at how quiet and accurate it is. Good luck with the bow. I hope it serves you as well as mine has for me.

Don
    edited November -1
    Shot the bow for the first time tonight, absolutely loved it, not the fastest bow ever but otwas easy sshooting, very little hand shock and once i got it dialed in,quite accurate