In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

crossbow question

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
I have my paperwork for a permit to use a crossbow during archery deer season so I'm looking for a suitable crossbow. I'd like to have something not too heavy shooting a decent bolt length/weight better than 300fps with a $500 upper limit for a total go to the woods package.
Initial research points me toward a Barnett Quad 400. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I'm thinking about diving into the life of crossbow, though I'm completely unfamiliar with brand, types or anything crossbow. If anyone could help me with what a good brand and well basically all the average info to make a relatively informed purchase decision I would be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    I have a Barnett x-bow with compound limbs and struggle with "unloading" it. A real PITA to have to haul a target around or use one of the "de-cocking" bolts (which still break if they hit something hard).
    While visiting a friend who has an Excalibur recurve x-bow, we were discussing this and he says "that's no problem, just use the cocking rope and let it down". We go to his garage and he proceeds to show me how he does this. After watching him, I realize there's no way I can do this due to my shoulder problems but it does work for him.
    So, my question is: does anyone else have a trick by which to de-cock a compound x-bow w/o actually firing it? I have a spare rope cocking devise that could be modified if I sort of know where to start.
    edited November -1
    Was wondering , how long can you leave a crossbow cocked ?

Without an arrow in it . If your hunting for 3 or 4 days in a row is it OK to just take the arrow off , or should it be shot off after each hunt , and then recocked for the next hunt ?
    edited November -1
    Can I use any broadhead with a crossbow? OR do I need to use crossbow specific broadheads? Thanks
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, i need some help. I am thinking about getting a crossbow for the next deer season. Im not sure why, I just thought it would be fun to take a deer with something different I guess.. So I need help on what makes and models are a good buy. If I end up getting one I want a good brand/model that will last, any of you shooting crossbows.??? Ive been shooting my mathews for years and love it- Never lets me down, but when it comes to crossbows Im clueless on what to look for.. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using one of the fiberglass bolts designed for de-cocking a crossbow? The de-cocking bolt I've used for years has never broke. The end is mangled from hitting small rocks under ground but still works fine. It was made by Horton I think.
    edited November -1
    I've never used one of the "de-cocking" bolts but have been told of the misfortunes of those who tried them-some instances of the bolt shattering on the rail, some of fiberglass slivers peeling off and embedding in the foregrip hand and at least one instance of the de-cocking bolt splitting and creating a "dry fire" scenario. I just use a target point bolt and a standard archery target.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I misunderstood and thought you had used a de-cocking bolt. Trust me, you will wonder why it took you so long to buy one. I used to hold the string with one hand and pull the trigger with the other. Not a fun way to do it, but wouldn't carry a target with me and wouldn't shoot a good broadhead in the ground either. I know Horton went out of business, but I bet you could find one out there somewhere.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just put a shooting block in the back of the truck and shoot a target tip shaft into it when done hunting. It pulls out with two fingers and it never leaves the truck the entire season.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    I just put a shooting block in the back of the truck and shoot a target tip shaft into it when done hunting. It pulls out with two fingers and it never leaves the truck the entire season.

Same here: Haul a unloader target. Cannot shoot into the ground in this neck of the woods too many rocks and I purposely grind the tip of the practice unloader points blunt on a grinder so as the unloader shaft is easy to remove from the unloader target and don't penetrate as deep as the sharp points. My crossbow is the Barnett DOA and this is the only way I've found to safely de-cock the bow.
    This crossbow has the optional crank cocker and can also use the manual rope cocker and this crossbow will break fingers and rip meat off if it gets loose from you while trying to de-cock it in any way other than safely shooting a unloader bolt into a unloader target. Shooting a blunted tip practice point arrow into target at 10 feet I can easily remove the arrow from the target.
    I agree that hauling a target all time is a PITA, but not as much pain as broken fingers or meat ripped off and I have forgot few times to place the unloader target in the vehicle and sweat being checked by a POSSUM COP warden for hauling a un-cocked cross bow and being issued a hefty fine. Possum cops in this area don't use any common sense, they just go by the book. (such as hauling a cocked crossbow in back of pickup and the arrows locked up in the toolbox, it's against the law boy and ignorance is no excuse, turn around and spread em boy, you carrying any knifes or got any weapons on you, Let me see your hunting lic. Why are you carrying a pocket knife boy.

You are going to jail for having a loaded bow and two knives.
    You are road hunting. I'll have to take your bow and have your 4x4 vec impounded and sold at auction tomorrow. But mister warden I just forgot to load my unloader target, sir. Again BOY, ignorance is no excuse to break the law. Well sir, I was born an ignorant redneck. That is no excuse either boy, put them hands behind your back for the cuffs, NOW. If you do any more whining you are also resisting arrest, you white trash redneck hunter.[:I]
    Are you a member of a terrorist organization, BOY. No sir, just a NRA Member.

How do I know these things.[8][:(][}:)]

How do I know this stuff.[:I]
    edited November -1
    Guess I'll just get one of the de-cocker bolts when the hunting stuff goes on sale next week.