In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Case primer than storage?

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
Question for some of you...

I want to do my reloading batches in steps over weeks.

Any known detriment to priming prepped cases and storing them for a few weeks till I load them?

Comments

• iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That depends on how you store them, no?

Sealed in 'zip lock' bags and stored in a 'cool, dry place' would seem to allow storage indefinitely.

Store them neck up under a furnace duct to collect dust and crud might cause 'misfires' down the road.

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is applicable here: All things tend toward chaos.

In other words, the cases will tarnish and collect dirt/crud/etc left on their own. (Which is why houses get dusty and need regular cleaning)
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day they sold primed brass.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    That depends on how you store them, no?

Sealed in 'zip lock' bags and stored in a 'cool, dry place' would seem to allow storage indefinitely.

Store them neck up under a furnace duct to collect dust and crud might cause 'misfires' down the road.

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is applicable here: All things tend toward chaos.

In other words, the cases will tarnish and collect dirt/crud/etc left on their own. (Which is why houses get dusty and need regular cleaning)

Yeah it would be in a plastic bag inside the house with A/C.....only for about a week.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kidthatsirish,

As with all things concerning reloading, it is the application of heat and humidity which can cause problems with your components.

Stored in ZipLoc bags in an air conditioned house should be just fine.

Enjoy!
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The primers I've acquired have not been in hermetically sealed packaging, so it seems to me a non-issue. I wouldn't think exposure to atmospheric conditions is as significant as it is for powder.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Size and prime 200 or more, put them in 50 round plastic boxes.
    Then I load them 50 at a time and shoot them.
    Have left primed cases for months with no problem.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    Question for some of you...

I want to do my reloading batches in steps over weeks.

Any known detriment to priming prepped cases and storing them for a few weeks till I load them?

In the early 70's...a friend moved into a house and found a case of assorted primers in his attic...He knew I reloaded and gave the box to me...It was post marked 1953! All were in paper and wood divided packs...Every year or so I pull out a pack and load them up...I have yet to have a misfire...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Yonson
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone does.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yonson wrote:
    The primers I've acquired have not been in hermetically sealed packaging, so it seems to me a non-issue. I wouldn't think exposure to atmospheric conditions is as significant as it is for powder.

Spot on.

It is really hard to kill a primer.
    I have used primers that were WET. let them dry out slowly and they all fired in test reloads.
    To kill primers in dummy rounds I had to use wd40 filled in the cases and let soak for days before the primer was bad.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy that uses tweezers to put the primers in the arm. If he touches them much fumbling around to get them into the arm he experiences miss fires, so he says. A different guy puts on gloves to handle firearms other wise his fingerprints rust quickly into the bluing. I have neither issue.