In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6mm Remington load

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
Anyone have a good proven load for the Remington 6mm? I will be shooting it in a Browning B78 single shot rifle. Any info is always appreciated. Terrill

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No books here. I would look for a ball powder that fills the case or is even lightly compressed.

BLC-2 or maybe H-380? Boattails for me past 300 yards. I haven't spent much time with 6mm as I have with 7mm or 8mm even 6.5mm.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thing to consider about a 6mm: (if reloading)

When working up a load use a 85 Gr Sierra Spitzer #1520. Several powders usually produce good accuracy with this bullet on paper to name a few. My 6mm's like H4350, IMR4350 and as a last resort try IMR4064. The 85gr Sierra Boatail bullet usually produces a larger group when testing at less than 150 yards. Sometimes the Boat tail bullet wants to be pushed at higher velocity as compared to the flat base bullet to achieve the same accuracy on paper. Stay away from Hollow point bullets for deer sized or larger game. The HP bullet usually will remain inside (no exit wound) a large animal and not leave a blood trail.

We use this #1520 bullet on whitetail deer. For larger animals go to a Nosler Partition Bullet.
    The #1520 is not a good bullet for large Deer. It's actually a varmit bullet but will work ok when a accurate gun and shooter can place a broadside shot.

You can find loads on-line at the Hodgdon site for these weight bullets and powders. Start with H4350. H4350 is usually more user friendly with the gr loads as compared to IMR4350. (imr4350 usually more critical of powder charge weight for good consistent accuracy) Very few guns prefer IMR4064 for excellent accuracy but when they do it's usually really accurate. I've seen some 270 caliber hunting rifles produce very good accuracy with IMR4064 and not like any of the other powders in the Hodgdon selections.

The 6mm is usually one of the more user friendly to reload for accuracy, not critical if bullet weight is close to 85gr. Some do not even like a 100 gr bullet which is considered heavy for a 6mm. (assuming normal hunting rifle barrel twist rate)
  • pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's every load you can think of for $6.49 + shipping from MidwayUSA:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/519406/loadbooks-usa-reloading-manual
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure to check your twist rate on the barrel. IRC the cartridge came out about the same time as the .243 Win, but had a slower twist rate because Remington looked at it as more of a varmint load than a medium game round. It had difficulty stabilizing heavier bullets and didn't sell as well as the 243, even though it was, probably/arguably, a better cartridge. I think that was called the .244 Remington. It was withdrawn and the 6mm Remington came out with a 1 in 9" twist to handle heavier bullets. The accurate load for your rifle may need to factor in its ability to handle the length of bullet you want to use.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The B78 single shot Browning rifle has a twist rate of 1:9" according to my factory twist rate list. This means it can handle bullet lengths up to 100 grains in the hunting configuration when made from cup and core. Solids, because of the longer length, will be questionable.

I use the 90 grain TGK and the 100 grain SBT for hunting deer and the 75 grain and 85 grain Varminters for prairie dogs and wood chucks. Combined with IMR7828SSC full case I am just over 3,300 fps with this very accurate load. Don't ever let someone tell you a 6mm won't kill deer when you use a properly designed bullet place correctly.

Enjoy the process!

Best.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used 2 loads that worked well in a pair of Rem 788 6mm. One was a 75 grain Hornady HP and IMR 4320. The other was 87 grain Hornady SP and IMR 4350. Both had to be pushed hard for best accuracy but at that point, it was hard to beat for performance from a 22" barrel.