In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.223Remington and H335 powder

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
My Speer manual says to use magnum small rifle primers with this powder but the Hodgdon site says standard small rifle primers.
Any input or recommendations? I really like the way the H335 meters in my Dillon 550 and am getting pretty good accuracy.
55 grain Berrys FMJBT's over 24 grains of H335 with the small rifle primers are giving me .6 of an inch groups at 100 yards from a 16" pencil barreled AR, 1/9 twist. Not a screamin' fast load but I'm loving the accuracy. I was gonna play with some Sierra 69 grain HPBT to see what it would do with those but got curious about the different primer recommendations.
Thoughts?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Speer manual says to use magnum small rifle primers with this powder but the Hodgdon site says standard small rifle primers.
    Any input or recommendations?

Ball powder has been known to need a little extra kick to get it lit up and burning correctly under some circumstances. Ball powder is heavily coated with deterrents, graphite and flash suppressants which can lead to slow or non-existent ignition. That's where the magnum primer suggestion comes from. It might affect you group size for the better actually, I've seen it before. It certainly doesn't hurt to shoot some tests with a small package of Magnum primers.
    I really like the way the H335 meters in my Dillon 550 and am getting pretty good accuracy.

Ball powders meter as close to water as you can get and still achieve proper volumes and ignition.
    55 grain Berrys FMJBT's over 24 grains of H335 with the small rifle primers are giving me .6 of an inch groups at 100 yards from a 16" pencil barreled AR, 1/9 twist. Not a screamin' fast load but I'm loving the accuracy.

You're actually in the lower middle of the pressure/velocity range. Your load percentage is a bit low and there are two more accuracy nodes above this, at least. It's common for folks to achieve their first node for accuracy and stop even though they could get the same or better accuracy with a better fill ratio and slightly more velocity which improves their drop and drift numbers. But once most folks find that first node it usually takes an act of Congress to convince them to move forward. Their fear is that they will lose that node and not find another...

Best.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input!
    These are just plinking loads so I'm not overly concerned that they're not as high a velocity as is possible though when I'm working up the 69 grain Matchkings I'll certainly take that into account. My twist is probably a bit slow for the 69's but It'll still be fun seeing what I can get it to do with them.
    You mention the ball powder not igniting well in certain circumstances. What are those circumstances? So far I haven't had any trouble with them though I haven't had them out in very cold conditions.
    You're right on the money with your Act of Congress comment. Once I hit on this load I pretty much stopped looking!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mention the ball powder not igniting well in certain circumstances. What are those circumstances?

You're right, it's usually the cold and sometimes combined with high humidity. But cold is the usual culprit.
    You're right on the money with your Act of Congress comment. Once I hit on this load I pretty much stopped looking!

Yep. I've seen this more times than I can count or remember. There is almost a superstitious thinking that overtakes our reasoning ability. But I still suggest that you increase your powder charge in small amounts to get a little better fill ratio which should put you in another node fairly quick. I'm not suggesting that this is a velocity race at all but simply a search for a better load.

Enjoy!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 70's the H-110 I was using in the 44 mag required mag primers even in 100 degree weather. I never needed mag primers in the 7mm Mag using H-870 even at below zero. Some primers are 'hotter' than others. I have seen comparison data but I don't remember where.

I like ball powders for metering.

Happiness is a small group.
  • Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been loading .223 with standard Winchester and CCI small rifle primers for years and have never had any issues with H335 or Win 748 powder in this cartridge.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.