In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 ACP powder suggestions

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
Just getting into reloading for the 45 acp. Just some background. I have been reloading for almost 45 years, but only for my revolvers and rifles. I have a Kimber pro carry II, I want to reload for. I have many reloading manuals, and the newest Hornady manual.

My question is, what , In your experience, has been the best powder to reload the 45 acp.?????????? I bought Hornady HP-XTP 185 grain bullets to shoot. I was leaning towards reloading with bullseye powder or W231. I have never tried titegroup, which is in the manual. I would venture to say that Unique, or W296 would not be viable to use, since I don't see any data for them.I know they are a lot faster burning powder. I use them in my revolvers. Oak

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique is fine, data in Lyman.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up on Bullseye in a 45 ACP. I'm shooting 231 these days in it and the 38 Special because I got it cheap - buy 3# get 5 free. Unique in the 22 Jet and BlueDot in the 44 Mag. I have used nearly everything in pistols over the years with both cast and jacketed bullets.

Pistol powder is still hard to find last time I looked.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

his homepage lists every pistol round.

[8D]
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.5 gr 231 behind a 230 grain pill
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just so you know: W296 is a slow burning pistol powder, generally used in magnums; .357, .41, .44, etc.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep...231 and red dot worked for me...mostly 200gr HG's...

quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    5.5 gr 231 behind a 230 grain pill
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Bullseye, Win 231 and Unique.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone[:)] Heading out tomorrow for some W231 and Bullseye powder. Have tons of Unique.

Ambrose, you sir are correct. I meant slow burning. Thanks. Oakie
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Info from our resident Bullseye shooter.

quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello it is no contest HANDS DOWN VIHTAVUORI N 310 is the cleanest and best powder I have ever used in 45 ACP a once fired case still looks new . after 30 some years of loading 10 K rounds of 45acp each year this high priced powder gives smallest groups out of ransom rest and really clean burning.

I used Bulls eye for practice
    great group size but it is dirty

Praise the hard ball Gun
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been loading for the .45 ACP for nearly 50 years, both target and carry. For target I use either 231 or 700X. For field I use either Unique or Herco with a 200 grain Gold Dot. I am experimenting with AutoComp right now, but no decision yet.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Info from our resident Bullseye shooter.

quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello it is no contest HANDS DOWN VIHTAVUORI N 310 is the cleanest and best powder I have ever used in 45 ACP a once fired case still looks new . after 30 some years of loading 10 K rounds of 45acp each year this high priced powder gives smallest groups out of ransom rest and really clean burning.

I used Bulls eye for practice
    great group size but it is dirty

Praise the hard ball Gun

I see it listed in my newest manual, but in VIHT N 330, not 310. Hmmm. Misprint in book????? I trust Perry with all info. He has helped me before. Thanks for the post. By the way, I ended up buying W231, as it burns cleaner. I also got a couple pounds of 2400 and unique today.[:)]
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Oakie, if you need brass, Steve Marshall on the auction side has good stuff.
    Titegroup is good and is usually a little cheaper than others.
    HS6 is good, also.