In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weird 45 cases and a question

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
Was loading 45acp cases for the first time. They are range brass and some brass that I shot, which was federal. I noticed that some of the brass would not fit into the shell holder. I looked at the head stamps and they were marked, A USA. Whatever they are, the rims were bigger than all the others. I also noticed that the ones marked Blazer, had smaller primer pockets. I assume they used small pistol primers in these and the other cases use large pistol, a 300 or 350 Primer.

My question is this: What are these A-USA cases??? Are they military or used by our US shooting team??? Never seen them before. They ended up in the scrap bucket. The ones that did fit into the shell holder, had loose prime pockets. There was only two. Thanks guys. Oakie

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    A-USA is Armscor brass. I have reloaded them with out noticing an issue.
    Some brands, I forget which, are loaded with small pistol primers. Nothing wrong with that, but you don?t want them mixed in with brass with large pistol primer pockets.
    You will know right away when you try to press in a large primer. BTDT.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes brass isn't quite up to standards. You might have a shell holder on the tight side and brass on the loose ends of spec's.

Your data should tell you what primer. Way back in the day dad scored a shoe box of large somethings that were in like soda straws like tubes. I shot them away in the 45 ACP with gallons of RedDot so old it was pink dot.

Brass that annoys me goes bunny hunting and I don't even look for it.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blaszr cases (aluminum) are not reloadable. They use a unique size primer and are not meant to be reloaded.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you keep the small primer pocket casings keep them separate and use small pistol magnum primers to compensate for the brizance difference. Most of the brass I have found with the small pockets has been from the Federal cartridge family, so it is good quality.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For years I have had trouble with Armscor brass. The Blazer brass is good stuff, just keep it separate & load latter with small primers
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    Blaszr cases (aluminum) are not reloadable. They use a unique size primer and are not meant to be reloaded.

I never reload aluminum cases. All the blazer stuff is brass. The blazer brass all has small primer pockets, which I separated. Thanks for the info on the aluminum cases though, I didn't know you couldn't reload them, I just never did or had a desire to. Makes sense. This is why I ask you guys. Been reloading for over forty years and still don't know everything[;)]. I appreciate everyone's input[:)] Oak
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    62fuelie wrote:
    If you keep the small primer pocket casings keep them separate and use small pistol magnum primers to compensate for the brizance difference. Most of the brass I have found with the small pockets has been from the Federal cartridge family, so it is good quality.

That's a good idea using the magnum priners.

I chromed some different factory loads and I found that in 45 acp, out of a 5inch barrel, a cartridge with a small pistol primer will tend to be anywhere from about 100 to 150fps less than its counterparts.

That may not be much in a rifle load...but when your standard velocity is around 830 fps....well that is substantial!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a lot for factory loads.
    I shot four different combinations of powder and bullet reloaded in large and small primer brass. The velocity loss large to small was 25-40 fps, which was easily made up with a small pistol magnum primer or a little heavier powder charge.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think A-USA brass is from Montana. I never had any issues with them.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse wrote:
    That's a lot for factory loads.
    I shot four different combinations of powder and bullet reloaded in large and small primer brass. The velocity loss large to small was 25-40 fps, which was easily made up with a small pistol magnum primer or a little heavier powder charge.

I thought the same as well. Of course it was 18 degrees that day which, depending on the kind of powder those different factory loads used, could have been affected by the low temp. I would have to repeat the same test again in the summer time to be sure.

Of course not all chronoraphs agree.