In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

168 Sierra HPBT match king

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
I just acquired these and I have some imr 4350 laying around. I am going shooting tomorrow and have some time to load them up...what charge do you reccomend? I have multiple lots of brass from different manufacturers that are sorted....

What says the peanut gallery?[:D]

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornady web site has all the loads for current mfg powders.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    The Hornady web site has all the loads for current mfg powders.

Yes I have downloaded load information from the imr website as well....I'm just looking for what others have experienced as far as accuracy goes.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some real fine shooting loads for that bullet, but I seem to have missed WHAT cartridge you are loading it in??
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree charge is cartridge dependent. I like full cases and even lightly compressed if possible. Lastly I like ball powder for several reasons.

Depends on how worn the rifles throat is if you can seat them out far enough. Blacking with candle or match soot is how I set them.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Also keep in mind, a boat tail bullet "acts" like a lighter bullet to the rifling twist rate.
    The rifling "sees" a shorter bullet.
    boattail.jpg[
    boattail.jpg
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    I have some real fine shooting loads for that bullet, but I seem to have missed WHAT cartridge you are loading it in??

Yep, knowing the caliber would be a good thing?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its for a 30-06 4350 is fine and will do a compressed load. Would not be my first choice M1 Garand
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lol....sorry folks, I just realized that I did forget the little crucial piece of information called the type of cartridge! Lol...

Anyway it is for 30-06 and I'm shooting it out of a 2 groove 1903a3.

I do reload for my M-1 as well, but despite having a modified gas plug to reduce gas system pressure I still find myself using IMR 4895 for that cartridge.

After I burn through the last of this 4350 I'm going to start trying to see if I can get a load with 4895 that will give me best accuracy with my 03a3 and acceptable or better accuracy for my M-1 (this being relative to the bulk M-1 ammo I currently use for it.)