In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IMR 4895 in 222

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
Hello. I'm looking for some opinions as to whether IMR 4895 would work well enough in a 222 Remington. I'm not opposed to buying something different, but I've got a pound sitting around not being used, so I thought I'd give it a go. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman 47 Ed. Reloading Handbook lists IMR-4895 for every jacketed bullet weight 40 to 63 grains. No listing for lead bullets.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I had 222s, I didn't put anything but IMR4895 in them.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will work. I try and buy powder, primers, bullets and cases in larger lots.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

Just because a powder and loads are represented in manuals does not mean that they are either the right combination or worse, efficient. This is the case with IMR-4895. It is severely inefficient and slower than what can be accomplished with other, more efficient powders. Using a full case of powder with median weight (50 gr.) bullets in the .222 Remington wastes about 10% of that powder when fired in a 22" barrel.

I use and have used for years, Re-10x and Accurate 2015 for the best velocities, accuracy and efficiencies. My favorite is IMR-4198.

Best.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading for my .222 Sako L-46 for nearly 50 years now. After the search for the ideal bullet/powder combination of the first year the rifle showed a definite preference for 19.5 grains of IMR-4198, a 55 grain Hornady SX bullet and a CCI or Federal small rifle magnum primer. Every once in a while I will try one of the newer items just to see if I can do better, but this is still #1 for me and my Sako.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload several caliber s and IMR-4895 is ONE powder that I don't use. It's seems to be erratic for consistent accuracy.
    I call it firecracker powder.

H4895 is more stable and less temperature sensitive.
    but the only way to know what a gun wants for accuracy is to test. You will get a surprise if you start testing the triple deuces and 223's as to how some can be very picky about what they want for excellent accuracy, cold bore to hot bore groups. :o