In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LilGun and the .222 Remington

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
Has anyone had success, or "stories" to relate of using Lil'Gun in the .222 Remington.
It's all I use in my Hornet these days, and I seem to recall success in the .44 Magnum, but can't find any loads for the Deuce.
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old Sako has a decided preference for 19.5 grains of 4198, a CCI small rifle mag primer and a 55 grain Hornady SX bullet so that's all I use. Every once in a while I will try something new on the market, like CFE223, but still wind up with the old load. Spend a little time finding the load yours really likes and stick to it. I would expect Lil Gun to be a bit too fast for the Triple.

Mine is another L46 and I have 2 mags left after I gave one to a friend who lost his. I mind them carefully.

You might consider having a gunsmith run a "K-Hornet" reamer into yours to get a bit more out of it.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    62fuelie,
    I suspect your advice is right on the money.
    My .222 is an L46 and despite reading in more than one place that 21 grains of 4198 is THE load, I long ago settled on 19.5.
    Maybe not the hotest, but damn its accurate.
    Looking at leaving my Hornet and .44 behind and was just pondering whether I might have a use for a quantity of Lil'Gun.
    A fools errand, I've concluded.
    Thanks for writing.
    p.s. Know of any source for L46 magazines? ;-)
  • Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I knew of a source for the magazines you would have to be in line behind me. As for the load, my Sako prefers 19.6 grs. of 4198 behind a 50 gr. bullet. Not hot, but man is it a tack driver, and makes for great barrel life.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That auction magazine is an after-market 6-shot: Sakos came with 3-shot magazines that fit flush. Still, the long mag is better than having no magazine at all. I like detachable magazines right up until I lose it!