In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5x.257

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
This is the old wildcat conversion for the bring-back Jap rifles. I have recently (inadvertently) acquired one. Loading data is hard to find. COTW mentions it in the 6.5 Jap section but does not cover it in the wildcat section. There is one load mentioned in the book on cartridge conversions but that's all I've found so far. I have a lot of reference materiel that goes back quite far but haven't found anything yet. In the 1950's and 60's this was a common cartridge; I'm surprised there isn't more out there on it.

I've been hand-loading since 1958 and know the drill so I'm not afraid to do the low and work up routine so I'll probably start with low-end 6.5 Creedmore data and see how it goes but it would be nice to have data for comparison.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google "6.5x.257 jap loading data" likely the same boat as the 25 Krag.

I'll look in my PO books later.

https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=383016
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Use the link Charlie supplied as it will get you started and aimed in the right direction.

I just checked a couple of search engines by using "6.5x257 JAP reloading data". Lots of information using those words.

Best.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, gentlemen, you've been very helpful.

With more digging, I did find data in an old, worn Lyman manual from the early 1950's. (The cover is missing so I'm not sure of the date it was published but it has the .308 in it so it must be post 1952.)
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    same as the 6.5x57mm
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is an excellent ctg. It is superior to the 6.5 swede.

The first load I tried: Necked down new RP 7x57 cases, 43 gr. IMR4350, 140 gr. Hornady spire, CCI 200 primer. Velocity (average of 20 shots) = 2536 fps. Average of four 5-shot groups = 2.14". For anything this little rifle would be used for, I think I'll stop there.

I don't have dies for this cartridge but I've got them for several other 6.5's and I can "make do".

The rifle, of course, is a type 38 Arisaka. The barrel has been cut down to 18.5". The stock looks like a Bishop. It has an old Weaver K4 in a Redfield mount and the bolt handle was forged to clear. It's been fitted with a trigger-block safety. The work done (probably in the 1950's) is first rate and the obvious intent was to create a handy little deer rifle. The attempt was successful, but still, the overall appearance is kind of ugly. Trying to make a classy rifle out of an Arisaka never works very well.

Happy New Year.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

That comment hurt my feelings. Well, maybe not classy but very functional and not bad looking. There is a lot of info out there. My notes say: Gunbroker Forum 6-24-09 and 2-20-11; Use 6.5X55 data. Start low and work up; Can use .257 Roberts loads up to 120 gr. bullets. I can mail you a copy of my load notes.

I have never loaded for or used my rifle. It looked like a nice lightweight rifle to have.

6.5x57 | RWS

RWS brass cartridge rifle cases for the discriminating handloader wanting high reloadability. Cases are the same quality brass as used in RWS ammunition. Unprimed brass only - this is not ammunition.

6.5x57 (Available in 20 per pack, unless noted).

I ran into one of the variations you discuss quite a few years ago when there were still some vintage conversions on the market. I bought it for the action of course but I made some cases so I could test fire the version in hand. It's a nice mild deer rifle good for about 400 yards as you have loaded it.

Working smarter not harder, RWS provided me with high quality cases already made. Yes, pricier to say the least but just a phone call away.

Best.

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

If you can find one of PO Ackly's books, I think it may have a section of loads for that ctg, however, they will all be with propellants that are no longer available. (common problem)

I have Volume I and II of Ackley's books and, of course, that was one of the first places I looked for data. I was surprised it was not there. The books were copy written in 1962 and 1966 and I would have thought converting Jap rifles would not have waned by then.

But in any case, as I indicated, I've found a load that works well for this rifle and I'll probably stay with it. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

nononsense: Several years ago, one of the reloading suppliers was closing out 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer brass made by RWS and I bought a few hundred. I don't remember the price but it wasn't much. RWS is good stuff and I'm glad I got it since the only other stuff I had was Imperial from Canada. Imperial developed split necks pretty early on (sometimes while just sitting in the box!).

RWS has a strange methodology for selling here in the U.S. for some unknown reason. I've found .300 Win. Mag. being carried by then closed out by several suppliers. I was part of a group of individuals offered a drum quantity of that same brass as a one time deal. It was a little more than I wanted to afford at the time but I managed to purchase it then get it into the hands of shooters who really wanted it.

The RWS cartridge cases carried by Huntington's are an excellent resource when they have it in stock. There was a sale a few months ago where a few of the cartridges were reduced enough where I could afford to get more than just a few to test. RWS has always been the highest quality available to the reloading community.

Best.