In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Neck turning tool

bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
I?ll start with a little background. I recently had a 6.5 wsm built on a model 70. I have been reloading for most of my life and I am not a beginer however this is my first time having to neck turn. When necking down 270 wsm brass for this 6.5 I just don?t have the clearance needed without turning. I anticipated this and purchased a hornady neck turn tool. I don?t want to make this about complaining so all I will say is that I returned the first one and when I received the replacement it has the same issue. Both had a severe amount of runout. So severe that when you tuned your brass if you finished and then loosened the brass in the shell holder and turned it slightly then retightened it it would then begin cutting on one side of the neck again. So this tool is not what I need.
My question is now that the hornady tool isn?t an option what neck turn tool do you guys reccomend. I have did several internet searches and there are several options. I just don?t want to make the same mistake I did the first time also it seems that most other options require purchasing multiple parts separate. I just wanted to hear from the experts.

Wow thanks for the heads up on the brass. I searched because would like property headsramed brass and came up with nothing. I might still have to turn though the reamer my smith used has a very tight neck.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting. I have one like this https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/neck-turning/neck-turning-tools/nt-1000-standard-neck-turning-tool-prod36849.aspx.

What about inside reaming. I'd bet you could do a decimal drill with a bushing in your full length sizing die.

Bertram Brass lists 6.5 WSM
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bandcollector,

I think I've been turning necks for far too long. Only now have the newer brass case manufacturers started to catch up with the cartridges which usually require neck turning and are providing properly made and sized cases for sale to the general public. Unfortunately, the 6.5 WSM is not on their radar yet![:(]

I have used the Sinclair NT-1000 for about about 25 years now. It works great for the small runs of brass I need. But on far too many occasions I need a large quantity so I set up my lathe to handle the larger runs. I'm not suggesting that you run out and spend the money it will take to purchase a lathe and tooling, I simply express the idea that there are even faster ways to solve the problem. Talk to Sinclair and let them help you make a good decision.

You can do as you see fit, but I've been forced to use Bertram brass when making rifles in some of the older, obsolete cartridges. Most of it has been O.K. but basically soft and inconsistent, besides being overpriced because it comes from Australia. The internet is fraught with paid fan boys who sing the praises of any company willing to pay them, then you read what the regular folks think who aren't receiving the same paycheck.

Buy some of the 6.5 WSM if they will tell you the case sizes for your planning but don't count on them being consistent in manufacturing. You will still need to neck turn but only for clean up this time. The top end, higher pressure loads may defeat the brass before you get more than 4-5 reloads.

I load and shoot just about every 6.5mm cartridge there is and Bertram is my last resort.

Best.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Sinclair stuff. It's all made for bench rest shooters and they will settle for nothing but the best.
  • 44hunter4544hunter45 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Sinclair tool but do they make it bigger than .338"?

I need something for 300WM to 358 Norma Mag conversions.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one I've used is the Forster. If there is "run out", I didn't notice it.
    You have a stem(or pilot) and an adjustable cutter. How can there be "severe run out"?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.sinclairintl.com/helpcenter/index.htm

They have a live chat and phone #'s for help.

My earlier post had a slight error. Decimal reamer would be the tool of choice. Depends on your dies configuration. Run the brass through the die to bring down the neck with expander shaft removed.

Make a bushing that fits in the die body (doesn't need to thread in but it would better I think). Do the math to select the proper size decimal reamer that leaves your desired neck thickness. Fit the reamer into the bushing.

I have used modified fired cases in the cylinder as the bushing to ream the all the throats out to the largest one's size.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the K&M neck turning tool with the drill mount shell holder for years and have had excellent results.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC wrote:
    I have used the K&M neck turning tool with the drill mount shell holder for years and have had excellent results.

Ditto, I have used the K&M for 22BR and neck turning 300AAC formed from 5.56 brass for years. It is a good product and once you develop a rhythm with it neck turning goes quickly. I do recommend a dab of case lube on the neck, inside and out to help it turn and cut more evenly.