In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Background Checks

mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
Meaningful background checks.

Bring to the table this change. If I pass a background check, I am authorized to carry, open or concealed anywhere in the USA, that includes Federal Buildings, Stores with "no guns", Airports and airplanes...Anywhere.

Let's talk "meaningful" legislation. What would you support?

Comments

• lt496lt496 Member Posts: 116
    edited November -1
    Background checks are an infringement. Having a set of (potentially changing) govt promulgated criteria for approving or denying an individual from purchasing a firearm can be seen as nothing else.

Here is a wild and radical concept. If a person has committed a bad-act that is found to be criminal then that individual is punished for that specific bad-act. Once that punishment is completed, that individual is free again.

Prior restraint, application of ex post facto, background checks, prohibitions, bans, regulations ect....are all anti-liberty and antithetical to the principles of our founding in addition to being textual violations of Amendment II.

A man should be free to exercise all his rights including the right to keep and to bear arms for any reason he deems necessary and ultimately for the bedrock reason Amendment II was enumerated as a pre-existing individual right and as a crystal-clear prohibition on govt from infringing upon that right...to prevent or destroy tyranny of govt.

If a man abuses his rights via the specific commission of a specific bad-act, that man is individually punished for what he did.

Old TJ had the whole concept pegged dead-nuts on... :

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

- Thomas Jefferson
    "Freedom is not for the timid" III% BFYTW