In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New CA Laws

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
I m confused by what I need to do.

I have preban registered and post ban bullet button semiauto rifles. What do I need to do with them.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a lawyer nor a Californian, so all I can do is suggest you get on the board where such people hang out.
    http://www.calguns.net/
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived there for 35 years. Left in Y2K, and only been back to LA once since then.

IMHO, not going to get any better for gun owners anytime soon. Only a matter of time. Until the JBT's, Will be door kicking at 6 AM. To grab any guns, that don't conform to the recently enacted or future legislation.

If you have any AR type guns that have been registered/papered, or that other folks know that you own. Watch out! It's only a matter of time.

As long as the Democrats/liberals/progressives/communists, whatever you want to call them. Control the political spectrum in CA, gun owners are a endangered species.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Vote.

[:)][:D][8D][:p] If voting did any good they wouldn't let us do it.
    You are talking about the DPRK. The Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia where they bus in "undocumented aliens" & teach them how to vote. Even when we do win an election like on happy marriages the courts overturn the elections.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that they done something similar to NY's SAFE ACT.

In NY, they took all the Pre-Ban, and made the people register them, if they had more than one feature. Detachable magazine counted as 1 feature, so you could not have muzzle device, bayonet lug, pistol grip, or folding/collapsible stock. Pre Ban was not "GRANDFATHERED"(so you might want to check to see if Pre Ban was grandfathered in this time or not) this time. However, they did include in the definition that it had a detachable Magazine. Many of us got pin in kits, and pinned the magazine in. One has to physically pull the rear takedown pin to break the rifle open like a shotgun to load it. It takes about 2 minutes to switch it back to normal detachable mode. 95% of NY did not pin the magazines or register their weapons.

EDIT 1

quote:quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

In NY, they took all the Pre-Ban, and made the people register them, if they had more than one feature. Detachable magazine counted as 1 feature, so you could not have muzzle device, bayonet lug, pistol grip, or folding/collapsible stock. Pre Ban was not "GRANDFATHERED"(so you might want to check to see if Pre Ban was grandfathered in this time or not) this time. However, they did include in the definition that it had a detachable Magazine. Many of us got pin in kits, and pinned the magazine in. One has to physically pull the rear takedown pin to break the rifle open like a shotgun to load it. It takes about 2 minutes to switch it back to normal detachable mode. 95% of NY did not pin the magazines or register their weapons.

All well and good, as long as somebody doesn't rat you out. They catch
    one of your amigos, with a unregistered/unpinned AR. First thing they are going to tell him. "Your going to have to help us, we don't want to put you in jail." Next thing you know, your front door is going to be kicked in at 0600.

The only safe way to keep you unpinned/unregistered AR. And yourself out of trouble, is if nobody knows about it. Which is dam near impossible.

Yes, I hear what you are saying. They have not been to harsh about registry, and have said, that you have 30 days to register if you get caught...I would not want to take that bet either. They have been coming down on magazines over 10 rounds, and they make examples out of those, especially if rifles are in the mix too. But only the NY State Police, and any of the other LE agencies if you were being naughty.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

All well and good, as long as somebody doesn't rat you out. They catch
    one of your amigos, with a unregistered/unpinned AR. First thing they are going to tell him. "Your going to have to help us, we don't want to put you in jail." Next thing you know, your front door is going to be kicked in at 0600.

The only safe way to keep you unpinned/unregistered AR. And yourself out of trouble, is if nobody knows about it. Which is dam near impossible.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Vote.

Nah that only works in movies. You gots to move out of the state. Or get the "Bullet Button Reloaded" by Darrin Prince you can see it on youtbe. Let me know if you can find one to buy.

There's also a similar product by ARMagLock.

Basically the current "bullet button" won't be "California Compliant".

Or make your AR "featureless". I think you can find the sailfin grip lots easier than the "new" bullet button.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    I m confused by what I need to do.

I have preban registered and post ban bullet button semiauto rifles. What do I need to do with them.

Thank you.

Hawk Carse gave the best answer - go to CalGuns and get info. There's much in the "still to be decided" column however the most significant relates to "bullet button" (BB) equipped rifles.

Effective 1 Jan 2017 you won't be able to buy or sell a CA rifle with a BB. You will have a certain time period in which to register (not sure of time frame, IIRC 1 Jan 2018) just as you did your previously "registered CA AW" last time. The big unknown right now is can the gun be registered WITH the BB or with a conventional mag release. In effect, will the law allow us to go from "BB & not registered" which is what we have now to "conventional mag release but registered"?

That the CA legislature, Democrat and anti-gun to the core, would allow rifles to go from BB restricted (it is a PITA using the BB) to "drop mags" conventionally strains credulity, unless you presume they a) screwed up through ignorance b) plan to ban ALL semi rifles c) plan confiscation or registered AWs.

There are a dozen twists and turns, workarounds that will take place - for example, an AR 15 "30 round" magazine is the same as a 450 Bushmaster 10 round magazine. AR 15 lowers that are attached to 22 lr uppers don't need to be registered and can continue to "drop mags". So there will be much to be decided.

I've already decided to move to Rogue River, Oregon or Grants Pass. Not the safest gun state in the country, but better than CA. Fours years to a company payout and retirement.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Planning to move to WA in three years. Need for wife to retire. Guess I can move my lowers to my place in NV and keep 1 lower here.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just great. If we all move out of Kalifornia how is that going to make things better?
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well if everyone who contributes leaves, then maybe it will get better. Some people may actually have to get jobs.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    Just great. If we all move out of Kalifornia how is that going to make things better?

It'll make my life better.

We're a minority and just in their way for this "utopian" Star Trek state. I figure when I leave, the whole state of California'll turn in to Detroit [:D]. The new governor "gavin" will rule from his ivory fortress the New Detroit with hipsters.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad to say but Cali seems lost... Best start making plans to move. Try Calguns and see what others are doing there...
    "What is truth?'