In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

!!!

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Politics
TRUMP proposal to require drug companies to post prices in ads......YEAH !! BRAVO !!....big pharma is screaming FOUL ???? i had to go on a new med for a problem and about fainted when the month scrip cost about 10 times the usual stuff..pay up or suffer...seems drugs would be a whole lot cheaper if they had a simple ad and price instead of 2 minutes of glorious blather and 8 minutes of side effects alway listing diahreaa, constipation , and sudden death....and......TELL YOUR DOCTOR ???? he has never told me how to farm ???

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a big fan of companies advertising a controlled substance to end users and then being able to bribe prescription writers to prescribe that substance. Supposedly the practice has been brought under some controls over the past few decades, but we are hearing, particularly with the opiate problem, that it is continuing.

All that said, mandating something for the pharmacy industry that is not mandated for all industries seems to be a bit of overreach. Transparency in drug pricing is available today if the consumer asks. I would think a more important regulation would be mandatory price detailing at point of sale or point of prescription. The fact is that with the vast majority of prescription being paid by third parties, the average consumer has no incentive to monitor or even care about the price of the meds he is getting so long as the co-pay does not break the bank.

Drug price escalation is, IMO, a problem created by insurance companies via the shielding of the their end customers from the actual cost of the drugs. The largest insurance company (and thus the largest contributor to the problem) is the US Government. Finding ways to get th US Government out of the equation should thus be the best way to allow the market to bring pricing under control.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trump at the same time is pushing to eliminate "surprise" medical bills. Anyone who has "discovered" added medical costs to procedures they believed had been paid weeks before, or the costs were significantly higher than they were told. Easy to understand how devastating this can be to their finances.
    White House takes on surprise medical bills in continued push to lower US health-care costs
    Trump announced a new push Thursday for legislation designed to end surprise medical bills.
    The announcement comes as the White House prods the health-care industry for greater transparency and lower prices.
    Trump also said Thursday that he would support states that allow residents to import drugs from other countries as part of his continuing campaign to lower costs.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/trump-takes-on-surprise-medical-bills-in-push-to-lower-health-costs.html
    Quite sure NO PRESIDENT has accomplished more than any I can remember. With a little help from the DIMS Trump would have accomplishments like border security and health care. Wait, health care wasn't all the DIMS fault, Senator JOHN McCain can be posthumously thanked for that one. Maybe he'll get a hurt_* medal:
    painmedal.jpg

The DIMS are entirely focused on destroying Trump and the country while spending huge amounts on BS programs and pork barrel projects. Remember Obummers "shovel ready projects" don't know any that exist but I've read there are still some in planning. :x
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big pharma buys there ingredients from china,india ect good thing on the news tonight products contain nasty things :evil:
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Pharma has been ripping off the American consumer since near forever.

It's a rip off when XYZ drug mfg in the USA can be ordered from Canada for $ including shipping when the same XYZ drug from your local neighborhood pharmacy costs $$$$.

And as far as a 'third party payer' such as your insurance company and the public not caring about price, only a fool would believe price competition would NOT lower costs and therefore, lower insurance premiums. DUH!

Of course, the insurance companiers have been ripping off the public for decades also ~ otherwise they would have huge expensive building and pay their executives and employees as much as they do. Some employees make in excess of $100,000 a year plus full benefits.

Add to that: the entire health care industry is all about money....not the hypocratic oath. It's about hooking you on pills for your whole life, return doctor visits, "routine checks/tests for whatever & often called "maintenance" etc. to feed the medical industry bank accounts. Also, I believe the medical field found a cure for cancer decades ago but there is to much money in it for 'research' and 'treatment' for the cure to be given to the general public. They don't want to "kill the golden cow they continue to milk."
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last poster made a good point on buying from Canada. 15 years ago needed MORE medicine than what was prescribed by the U.S.Pharmacy. ie: Could get 6 months but needed 12. The price U.S. price was higher than Canada. Sent canada pharmacy the "prescription" and they filled it with exactly the same drugs.

Not sure how Canada is NOW, but when I had the correct amount I'd do a "first in" / "last out" and was OK until this day.

Many "online" Canadian Pharmacies, just need to know which one is reliable. A penny saved is a penny earned. :D
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh big bills ....annual doc visit i go in 2018 and get bill a month late and PAY it next day..same annual visit in 2019 get the bill about a month later and PAY it next day ...3 months later in 2019 get another bill for my annual visit in 2018 with same patient number but a different billing date (4 days ) and a different cost (by about ) $5......?????? i have cancelled checks from both years ....so we did a big email detailing all this and a week later have heard NOTHING...now someone there is the worlds worst bookeeper or they have someone stealing money from those that sleepwalk in a second payment ......notice diff date and slightly diff charge ??????...
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    I am pretty sure I am able to set here and type this because of doctors, hospitals and drug companies, and most of all the grace of a great God. BUUUUT the wrinkle is this. Had a pacemaker installed several years ago, (AFIB) 40,000.00 and change, that one wore out and the another one installed about 4 years ago, 40,000.00. Had oblation on some bad nerves in the old ticker couple years ago and when I asked the doctor how much this was going to cost and he said he did no know but he did tell me he received 600.00 to do the pacemaker install and the cost for the device could run 1,500.00 to 2,500.00. Don't remember how much the oblation cost but I think it was somewhat over 100,000.00.
    Also was placed on Bilintia, 400.00 a month. Doc gives me a coupon that lets me buy it for 5.00 a month with Blue Cross insurance. Guess what, went on Medicare last December and they won't honor the coupon, cost me 200.00 a month, my share. Don't tell me health care is not rigged. Hospitals say they are going broke all the time but drive around the country and see what is being built and remodeled.
    Another note, my Blue Cross and the hospital would settle for .50 on the dollar then my part would be about 10% of that, said it was member savings.
    Blue Cross was charging me 2200.00 a month for insurance when I went to Medicare.
    One more rant while I am at it. Business near me hired a new worker, he left a company that had him insured. New employer's insurance would not kick in until 90 days. He had worked 6 weeks and had a major stroke 10 days ago, in intensive care, can't walk and can't talk. I bet if he had entered this country illegally he would still be in bad shape physically but he would be provided with all the health care one could ask for at our cost.
    On a better note, scheduled for a "Watchman" procedure next month and will never need blood thinner again, whoopee.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edspdog1 wrote:
    Bla, bla
    On a better note, scheduled for a "Watchman" procedure next month and will never need blood thinner again, whoopee.
    One of the newer replacements for blood thinner. Have an appointment with my Cardiologist next week and I'll specifically ask him about the watchman. So far nothing would be a replacement for coumadin / warfarin for what ails me.
    The Watchman Device is a small implant placed in to the heart that can reduce the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation. Patients with atrial fibrillation are at increased risk of stroke, mainly due to clots that form in a small chamber in the top of the heart known as the left atrial appendage. In the Watchman procedure a small tube is passed up to this appendage through the veins of the leg and the watchman device is deployed, closing off the appendage. For this reason the Watchman procedure with the Watchman Device is known as a form of left atrial appendage occlusion.
    https://myheart.net/articles/watchman-device-explained-and-faqs-answered-by-a-cardiologist/