In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Statue of Liberty

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Politics
the writing on the plaque at the base does NOT finish with the words that anyone can freely come in till AMERICA is bankrupt, broken, and trashed by the hordes seeking everything FREE.....

Comments

• Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was given to the USA by the FRENCH

C&P

"The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World" was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the United States and is recognized as a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886. It was designated as a National Monument in 1924. Employees of the National Park Service have been caring for the colossal copper statue since 1933.

Emma Lazarus, a native New Yorker, contributed one of the most well known pieces of art inspired by the Statue of Liberty and its optimistic message to the world's disenfranchised people. Her sonnet entitled "The New Colossus," written in 1883 for an auction to raise funds for the pedestal, was a tribute to the symbolism of Lady Liberty. In the past, many large monument statues were meant to deter enemies or to represent the strength and wealth of a nation. But this is not so for Lady Liberty:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flameIs the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" - Emma Lazarus

More: https://www.history.com/topics/landmarks/statue-of-liberty
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock: