In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fake? Ranger

2»

Comments

• Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I met a poser a couple of years ago, He said he was ex navy and made chief(E-&) in 6yrs. The part I got him on was when he said he was forsed out during the Reagan administration downsized the Navy.
    The way I do math, 2 yrs to make E-4, one more for E-5 and 3 years in rank to make E-6 plus 3 more to try for E-7.
    Last summer I had a guy tell me he was piped off a carrier as an E-2. I had to call him on it. Especially when he said a QM2 was the one piping him and an Admiral off.
    I hate posers.
  • Options
    Bongiovanni275Bongiovanni275 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodguru
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    quote:Originally posted by pipe7

6 BLOCKS OF C-4, that must have been one heck of a front door. He is 19 with no diploma he was never in the Navy let alone a SEAL. He might have been in the delayed entry program, and they threw him out when he failed high school. Don't worry he won't make it to the police academy nobody will hire his sorry butt.

6 blocks of C4....WOW

Booger bomb. ;)
  • Options
    wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAHA! I love these guys, really gives you somebody to amuse everybody at work. We gotta guy who was Marine who fought in Iraq that can't remember what FOB he was at, he supposedly spent a year in Iraq but can't remember where! Semper Fi liars!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wildeman.7.62nato
    HAHA! I love these guys, really gives you somebody to amuse everybody at work. We gotta guy who was Marine who fought in Iraq that can't remember what FOB he was at, he supposedly spent a year in Iraq but can't remember where! Semper Fi liars!

That is certainly possible. One problem that a lot of Gulf War Vets have is severe memory loss...it is associated with Gulf War Syndrome. I'm kind of surprised a Marine would have been there that long though. I was only over there around 8 months (but I was Army, out of Ft. Bragg). (I assume you are referring to the first gulf war)
  • Options
    SGMBalzSGMBalz Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I would not worry about it too much. If the guy is going to lie, then he must not think much of himself, his worry not yours. Here is the facts I have learned over the years. I went all the way in the Army, everything but Delta Force. You know that unit that hangs out at WALLY World at Fort Bragg. They used to be HQ'd at the old stockade, when Beckwith first started the unit. (TOP SECRET STUFF, delta force would never have gotten off the ground if it had not been for General "shy" Meyer.) I always liked him. General Abrams on the other hand hated Special Forces and Delta too I suspect, unless he passed away before Delta got up and running. Anyway I got off topic. I was a Master Parachutist, (Jumpmaster), a Ranger, (difficult training started with 200 guys and graduated about 90, quite a few were recycles from the previous class, at age 24 I lost 47 lbs in 2 months. Then I went on to join Special Forces, a few years later. I went to the course in the best physical condition I could be in. I trained hard, weights, 10 mile runs, swimming and other stuff. Smartest thing I ever did, I saw some of my buddies really struggle to get through it, I had an easier time of it, because of my physical conditioning. So after 34.5 years I retired. 27 years of that I spent as a "Green Beret" best job in the Army.
    For those who do not know (V) as a suffix on you MOS means you were an Airborne Ranger, (G) as a suffix means your were a leg ranger, non airborne. I had 5 MOS's when I retired. 11Z5V Sergeant Major Airborne Ranger Infantry, 12B5S (combat engineer special forces qualified) later changed to 18C5V (special forces demolitions sergeant), when special forces got their own MOS, in my time the "S" suffix denoted that you were special forces qualified. 18F5V SF intel sergeant. and last but not least 18Z5V Special Forces Operations/Sergeant Major. So here is the most important point of my long windedness. As I got older I never looked down on other soldiers, or other branches of the service because they were not SF or Ranger or Airborne. It is force of character that counts for me. Some of the most miserable buzzards I have met in my 30 plus years were SF qualified guys. Some guys just slip through the cracks. So if you meet some guy who says he was this or that, and your are sure is is full of it, do not fret over it. It is a character flaw, and he will have to live with it, or get his * beat off if he meets the right group of fellows some day. Say like FT Benning Home of the Infantry (Airborne and Ranger School) or FT Bragg Home of SWC pronounced swick Special Warfare Center, Home of the white flash, the guys who train you to be sf qualified. If anybody thinks I am full of BS send me some questions at sneakypete211@yahoo.com I will give you the right answers for sure. PS I will send a shinny new dime to the first person who can tell me the significance of the phrase "sneakypete" Thus endeth the lesson for today. Did I really say all that, I am quite the chatty kathy tonight.
  • Options
    airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok,I have to chime in... to be ranger, there is no rank requirement, I had rip in my enlistment contract. There is a difference between going ranger and going to ranger school... rip, ranger indoctrination program, takes all e4 and below through a 3 week initiation course to be placed in ranger bn. Your first 6 months in battalion are preparation for the 62 day course of ranger school, which allows you to wear the tab. It is possible for a unit to send people to ranger school, the 82nd had a pre ranger course to prepare you for the school. I have no idea what the unit's requirements were, but I'm sure they were high.
  • Options
    divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stinky pete, during sex the pinky finger goes in a girls * without them knowing.thats my guess roflmao
  • Options
    divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most likely this When you start and finish sex with your partner while they remain asleep. sound like sneky ranger to me. lol
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two cents worth, not all folks that go and pass ranger school will be in the pic. Depends on what unit they came from or are going too. Also most files of folks deep in special ops are kept not at the normal archive but a different place. I went to Ranger school as punishment for ticking off my CSM, by being a smart *. Lesson learned, I made it, however you will never see my pic there. Not all is at it appears, and if someone was sheepdipped well then they are gone. I am sure SGM Batz can confirm some of this.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in the Marines We would catch Posers by just making up a Story and then listen to what the Guy would say.
  • Options
    DarkshamanDarkshaman Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blackguns
    It is always the little things that get these guys. One time I was listening to a guy talking about his confirmed sniper kills at Guantanamo, the stories sounded a little fabricated. I asked him what unit he was a part of and he says Marine "Forest Recon." He had obviously misheard the Force part, so I told I knew a guy who was part of the "Beach Recon" team, which he had worked with! That is usually the best way to bust these guys. Just make something up and when they confirm it you know they are full of sh@#t!

In my expirence with fakes, they almost ALWAYS claim that they are getting a percent disability pay that does not exist. If they say anything other than a factor of 10% its a lie. And below 20% total is a lie. In other words they pay 30% 40% 50% 60% and so on. Well i can't even tell you how many people have tried to tell me they are getting 55% of 78% or even 20% VA dont pay from 20% and below. Its BS. And to be honest i don't even find it funny anymore its literally sickening to see people claim they are something they're not.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    Fakes are out there. In my experience the "fakes" are actual veterans telling stories that were not thiers. Kinda like when someone tells somebody else's hunting story as thier own. We went to a base in Balad Iraq and watched a movie( I felt so spoiled), before the movie, there was a video of a 2 star that had some good advice. I dont remember everything he said word for word, but he said( and I'm probably paraphrasing here) "when you go home tell your stories, but stay in your lane."
  • Options
    BobSmBobSm Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a while, but the skill identifiers for junior officers are different. Now that you jog my memory, I was an "11AC5S", the "11A" being basic infantry, the "C" being at least one tour in a mech outfit, and the "5S" being airborne-ranger qualified.

393798093.jpg
  • Options
    crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    Seal snipers!! Apparently they are abundant in the south... in the first gulf war... I asked one how old he was and did the math he woulda been in 8th grade at that time!!! He was pissed that I called him on it when he was hitting on a woman in a room full of people..

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of good seals/snipers born and raised in the south (texas makes a lot of them for some reason)... But damm for every one there are 100 liars
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just posted this in another thread any how, Get over it for sure there is 50,000 navy seals in bars across America any Friday night. I would take it as a complement [;)]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    kdixonkdixon Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    its funny that the only ones you can trust right off the bat are mechanics,cooks, truck drivers, anyone almost that was not elite. All others I just listen and wait for the slip, most don't know the 4th point of contact which is where their head is.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BobSm
    It's been a while, but the skill identifiers for junior officers are different. Now that you jog my memory, I was an "11AC5S", the "11A" being basic infantry, the "C" being at least one tour in a mech outfit, and the "5S" being airborne-ranger qualified.

393798093.jpg

Bob, When were you in the 5/87?
    RLTW

• Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Darkshaman
    quote:Originally posted by Blackguns
    It is always the little things that get these guys. One time I was listening to a guy talking about his confirmed sniper kills at Guantanamo, the stories sounded a little fabricated. I asked him what unit he was a part of and he says Marine "Forest Recon." He had obviously misheard the Force part, so I told I knew a guy who was part of the "Beach Recon" team, which he had worked with! That is usually the best way to bust these guys. Just make something up and when they confirm it you know they are full of sh@#t!

Not so fast there Darkshaman. Almost 14 yrs active US Navy I get 10% VA disabilty for hearing loss. It went up $2 this year for a total of $129. The worse poser I met was wear a Seal Trident lapel pin, running for office. I reported him to an active duty Seal I knew. His name never showed up on ballot.In my expirence with fakes, they almost ALWAYS claim that they are getting a percent disability pay that does not exist. If they say anything other than a factor of 10% its a lie. And below 20% total is a lie. In other words they pay 30% 40% 50% 60% and so on. Well i can't even tell you how many people have tried to tell me they are getting 55% of 78% or even 20% VA dont pay from 20% and below. Its BS. And to be honest i don't even find it funny anymore its literally sickening to see people claim they are something they're not.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After being out a few years this is what I have noticed. Everybody that find seems to have been a Ranger, SF, something. What I usually find is that people that come out right away talking about it are probably full of it. The guy that says yeah I was in, and then down the line mentions his unit is probably telling the truth. Ive been to Iraq and Afghanistan and can for the most part tell if somebody is bs me. now for other conflicts I dont know.

I always respected others badges achievements etc, but never thought they were above me regardless if they were ranger or not. Because when it came down to it we were on the same team, there were things they could do that I couldnt do and vice versa.

And to be honest while in Iraq SF did nothing to benefit me or my unit in particular, but I do remember helping them a few times. So my hats are off to anybody that does something above the norm, but do I really care, no probably not.