In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ejector Steyr M95

cohenmj770cohenmj770 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited April 2019 in Ask the Experts
Hi all - I recently bought an old Steyr model 1895 in the original 8 x 50 R. I tried cycling a few rounds through it and after the first round ejected quite nicely, all subsequent rounds just kind of lay there at the top of the en bloc clip. I replaced the ejector, but that didn't help. What else should i be checking? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Your post isn't clear? When you chamber a cartridge. On extraction, does The extractor pull back the cartridge case far enough? So that the ejector contacts the rim of the cartridge?
    edited November -1
    The Mannlicher feed mechanism, as used in your Steyr. Requires a very strong spring, that tensions the follower. If your cartridges, aren't being forced upward by the follower. So that the bolt, won't push the cartridge into the chamber. Check the follower, and follower spring.
  • cohenmj770cohenmj770 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick reply. The extractor seems to be working OK as the (unfired) cartridge gets pulled out of the chamber. But when the bolt gets to its most rearward position the cartridge just sits at the top of the receiver instead of getting thrown off to the right side. If I turn the gun over, the cartridge falls to the ground and then the next cartridge chambers perfectly well. Does this sound like a weak follower spring? Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    Going back to your post of 8:35 PM, that's a good question. What can I check to ensure that the extractor is pulling the cartridge back far enough to contact the ejector? I know that these guns had problems with the extractors. I assumed that if the extractor wasn't obviously broken off (and it's not) that it was OK. Is there something else i should be checking there? Thanks, Mike
    edited November -1
    I went through all my references. But couldn't find a schematic, for a Steyr straight pull bolt. Closest I could find were the Italian Carcano, and German 88 Commission rifles. Who used the same Mannlicher type, of en bloc feed mechanism. Both have spring steel extractors' that are self tensioned.

If your Steyr has the same type of extractor? It might be the cause of your problem? Take the bolt out, and check the extractor. To see if it's broken, or that anything is affecting it's spring tension?
    edited November -1
    Good suggestion; I'll give that a try.
    edited November -1
    So I took a look at the gun yesterday. The extractor pulls the cartridge out of the chamber but it doesn't hold it tight against the bolt face. I'm not sure how this is possible, but that may be the issue. Has you seen this before?
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ejector is part of the sear housing, and it has to be clean. The extractor needs to hold the case tight enough for the ejector to work, and the bolt has to be pulled back like you mean it.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/steyr/rifles-steyr/9524
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips. I disassembled the gun and cleaned the seat/ejector (along with everything else). The extractor is definitely not holding the cartridge case tightly against the bolt face. I found a ?new? extractor on eBay and I?ll install it once it arrives.
  • 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to be a kill joy or accuse you of anything, but WHERE and with what type ammo are you testing this? Unless you have a snail trap or are at a range I would suggest being circumspect about ?testing? the feed system on a 95 Steyr...getting old enough for various and sundry components to become somewhat brittle or worn; that could suck.
This discussion has been closed.