In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Things got a little weird

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
So, my daughter broke up with her boyfriend over religious differences on Saturday. Basically, she didn't see things working out for the long term due to them. I thought the move was wise. No need to add extra stress to a relationship that was, until recently, moving toward marriage. They'd been together for over a year.

Sunday, I get a text message from him telling me what great parents me and my wife are and how he's wishing for the best for my daughter. I thought it was kinda nice, if not sad. My wife gets a sense of impending doom and tells me to call him. I do, but it goes to voicemail, like he sent it there. So I sent off a text to him in reply with no response.

Come to find out the following day he took a bunch of caffeine pills in an attempt to OD, apparently because of the breakup, and apparently after texting me.

He contacts my daughter to tell her this (from the hospital where he's recovering, apparently) and how stupid he feels for doing something so dumb.

My wife has an uncanny sense of when things are going to pot. She is amazing.

Now, isn't taking pills to kill yourself something generally done by girls? And isn't it usually just an attention seeking * move, on their part?

I guess he's going to do some counseling. (What's ironic here is that my daughter is a psychology major! ... and no not counseling with her)

Kudos to my daughter for ending it with him and not falling back into the trap it appears he was trying to set for her with this dumb move.
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She did the right thing the guy sounds like a weak sister.
    RLTW

• lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm Your daughter (and Yourselves) have had a lucky escape.He sounds like a liability.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear how it ended, but in light of what all happened, she's good to be rid of him anyway. The guy's got some head bolts backing off.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    She did the right thing the guy sounds like a weak sister.

Agree. I like the kid, especially for how he treated my daughter and my wife and I with respect, but yeah.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well hopefully next time he doesn't take the violence towards her.

I'm not trying to scare you, but if faking suicide didn't work the first time he may up the game. And by upping the game, he may direct towards her. Not to say he will, I'm no psychologist nor do I know the guy.

I would probably get a restraining order against him. Even though he hasn't shown violence towards her, he's shown he is unstable.

Not that a restraining order would work even, but that way you can get rid of him if he gets too close to you and yours. I would also have my daughter start packing a pistol if she's old enough to. But like I say I doubt she would have to worry about it oh, but it's better to be safe than sorry
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evidently he wasn't to much in love or he would have worked out his religious differences. Back when I was a youngster if I had fallen in love with a beautiful girl I would have joined a church of snake handlers or converted to islam if that's what it took and I hate those people. :D
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evidently he wasn't to much in love or he would have worked out his religious differences. Back when I was a youngster if I had fallen in love with a beautiful girl I would have joined a church of snake handlers or converted to islam if that's what it took and I hate those people. :D

I wouldn't say that . Matthew 10:33
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caffeine pills?

Kid cant even kill him self right!
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, isn't taking pills to kill yourself something generally done by girls? And isn't it usually just an attention seeking * move, on their part?

As opposed to swallowing a bullet? Or perhaps jumping in front of a train? If I was ever going to end it I'd want to use the most pain free method I could get my hands on. Opiates and heart medicine!

I'm not disagreeing with you or your post - only the comment about the method.

That said... the breakup probably was a good thing. If someone is going to off themself (or fake it to illicit a reaction) then they're probably not the best choice for a long term relationship. If they had gotten back together, and a breakup occurred after they had a youngn, causing another attempt, that'd be way worse - kids don't need to be in the middle of crap like that.

I've heard somewhere that people can overdose on caffeine. But who wants their last act to be "bouncing off the walls."
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
    edited November -1

As opposed to swallowing a bullet? Or perhaps jumping in front of a train? If I was ever going to end it I'd want to use the most pain free method I could get my hands on. Opiates and heart medicine!

I'm not disagreeing with you or your post - only the comment about the method.

That said... the breakup probably was a good thing. If someone is going to off themself (or fake it to illicit a reaction) then they're probably not the best choice for a long term relationship. If they had gotten back together, and a breakup occurred after they had a youngn, causing another attempt, that'd be way worse - kids don't need to be in the middle of crap like that.

I've heard somewhere that people can overdose on caffeine. But who wants their last act to be "bouncing off the walls."
    I hear what you're saying. I mention that because, generally speaking it's not a messy way to go out, and for some reason, women generally consider what folks will have to clean up more than guys do on their way out.

All that said, I'm pretty sure that some of my relations have a plan in place to "pill" themselves once they reach a less than desirable age/ability (in their mind). Not saying I agree with them for their choice, just... there it is.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is too bad, too many young people seem to have a lack of stability today, probably a combination of up bringing, society, and what ever else.

Glad he didn't succeed and I agree your daughter is showing allot of smarts and best to move on.

Prayers that the young man finds his way and moves on in a more positive direction for his life.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you decide to self delete yourself remember the the 3 G's

The 3 G's

Yes the 3 G's

Guns: Shoot yourself in the head

Gravity: Jump off a high object or smash a car going real fast into a solid object

Government; Walk up to a cop spit in his face and draw your weapon

Honorable mention is Gas; Start your car and put a hose inside, turn on the tunes and away you go.

Caffeine pills are a joke, he wanted attention. If you are going to use pills use the right stuff like fentenal or heroin.
    RLTW

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet he sure called 911 fast...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a paramedic for many years. I worked many suicides, most of which, I am still trying to forget.
    And I worked many more fake suicides which are called a "cry for help."

Few females commit suicide, most suicides are men and they use a gun. Also saw a few car wrecks that looked suspicious to me.
    But the girls, as you said, get out the pills. One 22 year old girl took 50 aspirin, waited 10 minutes, and called her mother. This is typical. Of course we rushed her to the hospital and she got her stomach pumped.
    If you ever saw someone get their stomach pumped, you would never do a fake suicide. They stick a hose, a big hose, down your nose and in to the stomach, really a nasty procedure.

Never saw a guy take the pills and then call for help. This is a seriously screwed up guy and your daughter better run for the hills because he will only get crazier as he gets older. Plus I doubt you could die from caffeine overdose.
    Brian Bosworth, All American from Oklahoma, used to pop 15 or 20 caffeine pills before a game.

This guy is a real, nut job with the brain of a girl. He needs serious psychiatric help.
    edited November -1
    I bet he sure called 911 fast...

heh
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain