In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drill Press ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I want a milling machine. I ran across a milling machine that fits on a drill press. It bolts down on the holes in the plate for the clamp on the drill press.

They have some for 40 dollars but i think they are to lightweight. They have some for about 120 dollars and i was wondering if anybody tried either of them?

I hate to waste the money.

Comments

• WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard somewhere that using a drill press for a milling device wasn't good for the drill press. All the lateral pressure is supposed to hurt the accuracy of the press... I don't know for certain but it makes sense.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Waste of money.
    A milling machine is WAY more accurate and stable than any drill press.
    Almost all drill presses have a base plate/table that is only on a round shaft with a
    tooth and cog height adjustment.
    A true milling machine has all it's ways {slots for adjustments} MILLED into angled steel bars.
    You will be trying to measure/cut/mill small amounts on a foundation that is NOT stable.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I will echo what babun, and WearyTraveler said. The quill/spindle on a mill is much more substantial than a drill press. A mill is subject to high lateral loads, while a drill only deals with axial loads. Also, as mentioned, the table assembly on a mill is much more bodacious and rigid. I'm sure you will not be happy with a cheesy set up.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1000
    To Jim's mill.
    A cheap mill is much better than a "good mill attachment".
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I will echo what babun, and WearyTraveler said. The quill/spindle on a mill is much more substantial than a drill press. A mill is subject to high lateral loads, while a drill only deals with axial loads. Also, as mentioned, the table assembly on a mill is much more bodacious and rigid. I'm sure you will not be happy with a cheesy set up.

Yep
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain