In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sickness, Illness or condition?

BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Not wanting to highjack the San Francisco post. Sickness, Illness or Condition. Are these three words interchangeable? For instance is being an addict a sickness, illness or condition? Sickness to me means contracting a viral or bacteria type disease. Illness to me means the state of ones health - examples - cancer, high blood pressure, heart problems etc.. Condition to me examples - Broken bones, obesity, blindness etc.. It seems to be commonplace to refer to an addict as sick, but to me this just doesn't fit. Illness may be a better term, as in mentally ill but that doesn't quite fit either. How about condition? Most obese people choose to be that way and an addict chooses to use drugs. This seems to be closest but not quite there either. It appears most of the time our society makes excuses for people making bad decisions by saying by saying that they are sick. If we make it convenient for people that make bad decisions then where is the incentive to make good decisions? Bob

Comments

• droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When saying SICK there must be some context in the sentence. For instance saying this post is sick, may mean the post is ill or makes one ill, sucks, or pukebig.gif

Or the post is way cool, makes my pants fit tighter, just the finest thing since cotton candy, I love it. ;)
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crap nowadays has to be LABELED so as to be definitive to waste money on it in official channels.....next mandating "homelessness" as a disease will open the floodgates of taxpayers dollars to be distributed, institutionalized, dispersed, and budgeted into infinity... and turn the $184K a year jobs on public streets scooping non functioning "citizen chit" into something useful for $300K on a yearly paid job by those that use toilets
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    When you have words that overlap in meaning, context is key.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's part of my point. Do we make the words overlap for convenience? Saying an addict is sick absolves them of the responsibility for becoming a addict and invokes compassion. Usually no help, just compassion and that enables the addiction.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:
    That's part of my point. Do we make the words overlap for convenience? Saying an addict is sick absolves them of the responsibility for becoming a addict and invokes compassion. Usually no help, just compassion and that enables the addiction.

We do not make the words overlap for convenience. The words have long standing definitions that overlap.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me Sickness has many meanings both physical and mental. If you have the flu you have a sickness but that is too broad a term to use. You would not say "I have a sickness: you would say" I have the flu".

A condition to me denotes a long term problem with your health. But again its a broad term and kind of an old fashion one IMO. Would you say; "I have a condition that keeps from climbing a ladder" or would you say" I have vertigo and cannot climb a ladder?" I would use the latter (no pun intended).

Illness is another broad term that fails to identify what is happening other than its not good. It too can either be physical or mental. He has an illness and that is why he cannot be left alone with kids is a nice way of saying he is a pedophile.

As far as drug addicts go that is a self inflicted problem, you are not born with it, you don't get from a toilet seat or not washing your hands after you wipe your *, it is a decision you make in life. I have no pity for drug addicts or a lot of people that seem to try to evoke pity from people, because when I see one of these people I always ask myself what decision did they make that landed them in the predicament.
    RLTW

• castingcasting Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    So then expand this to cover smokers . Or the person who eats a pound of bacon a day who suffers from heart "disease".
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother is sick. He has schizophrenia, that is his illness. His condition is functional.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam I agree with your 4th paragraph. What got me started on this are news reports that blame addiction on something other than personal responsibility/choice. When society gives us an excuse or pass for our poor choices most don't step back and blame their own stupidity or weakness. The places that pass out free needles, don't bust junkies, keep homeless druggies from s**tting in public aren't helping anyone and making it worse for the rest of us.
    bpost- Good definition and I am sorry he and you have to experience schizophrenia. But I was trying to make reference to others who do not have a real problem that we label as sick when they only use poor judgment. Bob
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personal Responsibility is NOT Politically Correct..........my(anything everything) made me do it.....
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't it all one and the same? But if I had to pick it's condition. Breaking folks down by making them "accept it" of whatever the flavor of the day. If you don't you're evil. Who here would live where they poop on your stoop? Also paying $5K for a Meth/Heroin shooting gallery I mean an apartment in a diverse neighborhood or multi-million dollar property where folks bare * and drop the kids off on the sidewalk? I'd be pissed. But then again it could be social disobedience against tech edging folks out :D.

A smart guy with disposable hospital bootie stand would make a mint!!!