In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New knee came home today

pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in General Discussion

Surgery is done and new knee joint is in . Waiting for pt to come in and torture me by making me walk . If all go. es well will go home in the morning . Thanks for the prayers and good wishes

they did the operation on wed and sent me home today around 11 am . This suckers hurts!!!!!!! Lots and lots of ice packs

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Note to self. When PT asks you to walk down the hall and she says "can you make it to the end of the hall" remember you have to make it back to your room the same way you got to the end of the hall. :#
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Glad it went well! Prayers said for speedy and complete healing!

Yep, in most instances, Physical Therapy isn't much fun!!!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the TKR.  I was going downtown three times a week for physical therapy.  Painful, and more painful for 90 minutes at a pop.
    In the third week, my physical therapist was there to greet me at the door.  And I said, "If you are here now, who is guarding the Gates of Hell?

ps Get a bicycle it is the best therapy and fun too. 
  • Options
    I have heard they are really tight about handing out the pain killers.  Did they give you Vicodin or Percocet?  How much did you get?
    Back in '07,  Good God I got a bottle of 50 Vicodin, the big ones, the 10 mg stuff.  And plenty of refills.
    And, after months of fighting the Pain Demon, I learned that a double gin and tonic and one ten mg Vicodin* would make the pain go away.

* not recommended by physician
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK
    Today is a full year since my hip replacement and I can't say that there's any less pain or any better movement. TOTAL WASTE OF A YEAR OF MY LIFE.
  • Options
    They are they are really tight on the pain meds . Discharge meds will be hydrocodien 7.5 for a while . Just recently got a three wheel bike with this in mind . Came from a friends widow for free . Had to put some tires on it but I'm good to go , beat the heck out of over $400  for a new one 
  • Options
    Here is a good trick for you, given to me by a Nurse Practitioner in the physical therapy dept.
    If you will take 3 Motrin and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol, it is just as good, or better than, your 7.5 hydrocodone.
    You can safely take this twice a day.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a good trick for you, given to me by a Nurse Practitioner in the physical therapy dept.
    If you will take 3 Motrin and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol, it is just as good, or better than, your 7.5 hydrocodone.
    You can safely take this twice a day.
    Good to know, will def give it a try. Hydocodone (sp) stops me up like concrete, even taking stool softeners and laxatives don't help much. My TKR is still set for the 30th. 
  • Options
    Been taking it for several years no problem with bathroom trips
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    As I said, back in the last decade they were really handing out the oxycodone.   It was effective at knocking out the pain, especially when combined with a double gin and tonic*.

But after a few months I was getting hooked on that stuff.  I woke up in the morning feeling like crap.  Yes the knee hurt, of course, but I also just felt terrible.  Popped a Vicodin.  In a half hour, I felt OK again and the knee still hurt.  So I popped another.  I was getting hooked.
    It would have Made Doves Cry, or at least, made any dope head cry, but I flushed 22 full strength Vicodin down the toilet.

After that I just went with the Motrin and the Tylenol extra strength.  Studies show that is just as good as 10 mg of ocycodone.

*10 mg Vicodin and 3 oz. gin not recommended by Physician.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    USE IT
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the knee bending machine?
    RLTW

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the knee bending machine?
    RLTW
    On my  second TKR  did not  get the  Machine.  Insurance  said it was not  necessary. (wish I'd had it)
     Best therapy is  a Swimming poo,l lets you  regain strength and mobility  without  undue  pain (heated  salt water the best).

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options

No knee machine . Insurance company is sending an in home physical therapist to the house for about three weeks and then start going to md office for visits 2 to 3 trips a week

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes for speedy recovery.  Know 3 people who did not really do the physical as effectively as they should have and their results were very lack-luster.  Do what you need to.  Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    Get a bicycle.  Either a stationary bike or one you ride on the street.  Doc told me that is the best physical therapy.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Glad to hear you are home pulsarnc.

Hope you heal up quickly and feel better soon.

When I first read your thread title, I thought maybe they had sent you and the new knee home separately. 😉

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Wife had both done at the same time.  We got the machine and in home PT.  I also got her a recumbent stationary bike(no pool close by and she cant swim). 

She rides the bike 30-45min every day still and its been 4 years since the TKR.  I watched the PT guy and asked him if I could do some of the exercises on her, he said no problem.  I worked on her every day and had her hooked to the machine as much as possible. 

She is good now and has a really good range of motion.

Good luck and keep after it.
    RLTW