In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    Combine the following proven ingredients:
    A government that values corruption above public safety
    High-grade fireworks storage (claimed)
    2,750 tons of explosive ammonium nitrate
    a Hezbolah bomb factory (alleged)
    seven years of neglect
    one careless welder

Combine in August heat. No need to stir.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    This has puzzled me, since this happened. I didn't know that ammonium nitrate was explosive, in it's basic state. That is, without being mixed with diesel fuel or nitro. Just a matter of it being heated, to the point of ignition, and it will explode. 

I have since learned, the same thing has happened at least twice before. In Texas in 1946, and Newfoundland Canada during the First World War. In the one in Canada, a ship loaded with it exploded. Wiped out, one of their largest seaports. And was one of the largest, non nuclear explosions in history. 

That one happened, over 100 years ago. What were those retards in Beirut thinking? When they decided to store thousands of pounds of AN, in the center of their capitol and main seaport. 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    AN is a rapid oxidizer.  Rust is slow oxidation. Fire is caused by rapid oxidation. AN plus heat plus open flame, there you have it.
    Fire/explosion must have 4 ingredients, heat, fuel, oxygen, and chemical chain reaction. Boy did they have the ingredients. Remember, smokeless powder does not explode it burns.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea it was that volatile. I had a job years ago hauling ammonium nitrate,20 tons at a time in a dump trailer from the plant in Savannah to the fertilizer dealers in upstate S.C.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    If we stopped to think what was be hauled in the trucks we passed on the highways we would be walking through the woods to avoid them.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    Been thinking they did or was planning to do something to the Jews again. So the Jews stuck back first, and if this was a Hezbollah bomb factory I could see some Ninja Jews went in to make it look like an "accident". Instead of bombing the airfield like last time they went AN Nagasaki them. The white "poof" was impressive. Dissipating clouds like it did.
  • Options
    That very brief white "mushroom" is the water vapor in the air condensing into a cloud in the vacuum behind the pressure wave. I saw lots of them with bomb bursts in 'Nam (websearch for B-52 strikes and you can see them, too) The largest one I saw there was after a propane bomb. Looked a lot like the Beirut one with a full half-dome of white, but only about half the size. The stronger the pressure wave, the denser the white cloud. Any sudden drop in pressure can create one.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    Yosh...ninja Jews?  :)
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    YUP!! They are the worst kind.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    YUP!! They are the worst kind.
    Or the best kind, depending on your perspective!
  • Options
    Should that be spelled "Ninjews?"
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Jews!