In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

D-Day

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine what that must have been like. The courage those men had to muster up to charge up a beach like that while under fire is unfathomable to me.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

not many of the young of today would..........

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin

I think D-Day was the closest thing to hell one could experience on earth. My dad had it "good" as he landed three weeks later with an artillery battery. Remember them all.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure I would have been brave enough to do what those guys did

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭✭

This is a great place & well worth a visit if you're in the area. Plan on spending several hours in awe.

Note that it received NO Federal Funding.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,412 ******

I would love to hear more about your fathers story @Texas1911DE !! You must really be proud!

• Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

Picture I took in May 2017 of Utah Beach. Not high tide, as you can see from the vegetation. Landing was at low tide and crossing several hundred yards of beach under fire - unreal.

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭

Brave men.....we should also remember all the other D-Days. Partial list...Anzio, Salerno, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Guam, Peleliu, Leyte Gulf, Iwo Jima...and others.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭

Ultbrowingman... yep, thats the beach Dad landed on so many years ago, sure it was a lot "busier" that day, all the landing beaches had to be a living hell for those guys...cant even imagine running into a wall of fire that it had to have been...

...Hey Brookwood, and anyone else...

...my Dad was sent up front because a German sniper was picking off Americans...my Dad spent an evening and all night crawling in the direction he thought the German was...just after daylight the German sniper and him got into a "duel" of sorts...like a movie, my Dad caught a glint off something in a tree a few hundred yards away...Dad shot, and the German fell out of the tree...my Dad made his way to the German and he was still alive, and spoke perfect English...seems he had gone to college at one of the Ivy League colleges up in the North East before the war...he knew he was dying and gave my Dad his wallet and ask him to do his best to send it to his wife and kids in Germany when the war was over, because he knew they would lose the war, said Hitler was a "crazy man"...he then told my Dad to take his rosary and bayonet and if Dad ever thought back to that moment, and it made him feel bad, "look at the rosary and bayonet and know that "I would have killed you if I could have"...then the German died as my Dad sat on the ground holding him...think that bothered him more than the hell he went thru in Ardennes...

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭

@Texas1911DE

Wow. Just wow. As I said when I started this thread, I just can't even imagine.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭

Those of us who have been shot at in anger can tell you that after the first time or three, it becomes routine. But those first ones...well...

There are no universal truths about being in combat. there is only, "There I was, when suddenly..."

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

And they don’t even know what the day means even the ones going in the military.

I work part time at a Military Entrance Processing center. I had 27 new applicants yesterday. I write the date on the board so that they can write it on some of their work.

Not a SINGLE ONE could tell me what that date meant.

I have been to the D-Day beaches. Standing on the dunes and looking out to the ocean it is just wide open no cover at all.

Then to go to the cemetery and see thousands of white crosses was the worse.

All I could think about how it must have felt to be so young and so far from home and no one from your family to be there for your final moments.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I would imagine, that the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan," are about as close as you can get to the experience aside from being there.

We will forever Owe a Huge Debt, to those Brave Men.

Crisp Hand Salute. 🤚