In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Firearm opener Southern MI.

GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Getting ready for opening day.

Checking stands, making sure blinds are set up for dad.

I ran ammo thru the 350 legend and was happy with the shot placement.

Just got that gun last season. Very accurate.

Went ahead and shot the SW629 I've had forever and holy cow!

Offhand @ 35 yd it was Left 4" I ran another dozen rounds consistent and then went to a rest...

Adjusted scope over another 20 or so rounds, dialed in...

Went back to off hand and now Right 6+ inches.

I think I'll run some more ammo thru tomorrow because I don't know what's going on.

Scope base & rings are tight.

I don't practice like I used to, but this pistol has always performed.

Frustrating.

Good luck to all the others hunting this coming week.

GTR

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

What scope is it? If you went from a rest, to off hand and you're right handed, it sounds like trigger jerk or the * reflex of anticipating the recoil.

Put it back on the bench, shoot it a few more rounds and see where it's at. I've found it easier to look thru the scope at your aiming point, have someone hold the gun secure and move the scope adjustments until you get it right where your bullets were shooting.

This saves ammo and helps out in case the clicks aren't exactly what they say they are, or you're not at the exact distance where they are represented.

Once there, shoot it off hand and see what happens. Good luck.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******

sounds like you blew the cross hairs in the scope.

Good luck to you and your dad both.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭

For the 39th year, I'm heading to deer camp. Heading from prime Southern Michigan hunting land, to the land of no deer, in Northern Michigan. Oh well, my buds will be there.

Good luck and I hope you get your gun fixed.

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Wife and I own a small patch of ground about 20 minutes from town. Been going out the last few weeks to get it ready for the gun opener - cleared out shooting lanes, spiffed up permanent blinds, set up pop-up blinds, installed propane heaters, sighted in rifles, cut up and moved deadfalls blocking trails, generally doing the things that need doing. I'll set in a heated blind and mostly sleep throughout the day. Last deer for me was a spike I shot on the last day of firearms season because we could use the meat and spikes haven't been legal to shoot in I don't know how long. But our son drives up about 100 miles to hunt with us for opening day and stays thru the weekend, so it's all worth while. Oh, and the wife can be counted to fill a tag every year; gets that killing instinct sated, at least for a while I can sleep at night with both eyes closed!

I really do look forward to opening day.

• Options
    RossoRacerRossoRacer Member Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

There's definitely deer in northern Michigan. One just ran into my Jeep a couple days ago. And more were in the yard when I got home.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭

Does that mean the trolls are staying home?

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******

That's awesome!!!! ^^^^^^^^^

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I second that.

That is Awesome. 👍😁

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

That is BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy smokes. We get up, head to our stands in the dark, and don't come home until an hour after dark. I would rather hunt the way you guys do. Breakfast, lunch and then an afternoon hunt.

• Options

As the years go by, we kinda push the easy button when possible.

I still do all day sits if I think that ole mossy horn buck is doing the 1:30 pass thru.

We have been very blessed having some of our own ground to hunt.

But! I do miss some of the public land hunting where a good old fashion deer drive can be done.

I grew up hunting Pigeon River game area over in Mongo IN. 13,000 acres of woods N multiflora rose bushes. LOL.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like great eats and good times with hunting buddies !! Good luck out there and be safe...

• Options

I have 70 acres, backed up to 56,000 acres of gamelands. I never really hunted my own land, and left it as a sanctuary for the animals. Now I go back there and hunt during the last few weeks of the season, when I'm too tired to climb the mountain. We can't drive deer in pA, but we can in NJ. I like to pot hunt and enjoy nature. I take more pictures, than I do deer anymore. I have killed enough deer. Now I just enjoy seeing them mill around and watch the other animals play in the woods. Brings me some solace.

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

That must be about 5 dozen eggs...yum yum...

• Options

Had a good first day.

Big breakfast. Everyone left full and ready to hunt them deer.

I saw several but passed on them for something better down the line, didn't take a doe either.

It's been unseasonably warm.

Dad took a non-typical thing must have 12 pts with all its stickers and nubs. Used a Henry in 357. Decent buck and pop was happy, as were us boys.

Friends shot a decent buck; this friend was in one our blinds with his wife. He missed his 1st shot at the buck and realized it only had 1/2 rack and decided not to shoot. Well, the misses had other ideas and said gimme the gun. Shot dropped it DRT. LOL dude isn't gonna live this down anytime soon.

Day 2....

More breakfast.

Hot & windy. wasn't nuthin moving but 3 of us deerless guys hunted all day did not see anything. Still a good day, better than work.

Cold front and rain coming I hear so hoping for a change.

Hoping everyone else's season is going well.

GTR

• Options

Please post some pictures from deer camp!!!! My cousin passed away and some of my gang stopped hunting. It is just me and dad now, and I decided to not go this year. When my cousin passed away, I just lost all desire to go up to deer camp. He was the clown of the group. The stuff he would come up with, had us laughing from the time we got up, till the time we went to bed. Then two of the older guys stopped coming and my couple of buddies have to work shift work that week. They are LEO's. Maybe next year.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic.

Our camp got four bucks opening day. Only thing I harvested is a cold, but it's a really good one, lol.

• Options

Here are a couple pics of my dad's deer. Pretty goofy rack.

I sorta dropped the ball this time getting pics.

With the weather so warm we gutted the thing, and it went right into friends' truck as he was heading to processors before they closed.

I didn't even get a pic of his...err, I mean his wife's deer.

We usually do a group photo on the opening day. Just didn't happen this time.

I've been hunting every day and finally had to take a break this morning.

It was a slow hunt; the deer weren't moving a lot and with the opener being midweek just didn't seem like the guys were out in the woods like usual. Very little shots heard. I guess maybe the news is correct on tag sales being low. Used to sound like WW3 on opening day. Every wood and field edge would look like an invasion of orange.

With the weather being warm and dry the farmers are all out harvesting.

Saturday morning, I passed on a pretty wide 8pt. Wanted to try my 350 Legend, but I let him walk. maybe I'll get another chance who knows. There are some pretty nice bucks lurking around so hoping for a shot on one.

Dad was supposed to be in FL by now but some health issues with my mom & him have put the brakes on that for now. So, he decided if he's stuck here in MI for the winter, he wasn't going to suffer the long walks to blind or trying to ride a 4-wheeler around farm anymore. Dude went and bought a Can-Am UTV. This thing is like a luxury ride!

That pretty much concludes the MI opener week/weekend.

Now I gotta just put time in the stand and watch for an acceptable buck.

If nuthin comes along...there's always ice fishing next.

GTR

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

That sure is a funky rack....but really cool !!! I hope you get a shot at one soon.