In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with a price

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

A friend has a Remington model 700 bdl 7mm that was his father in law s. It is totally rusted to heck. I just want the sites and stock, which are in good to excellent condition. The barrel and action are totally rusted solid. It was left in a garage with rain pouring through a hole in the roof on top of it. What would a fair offer for the parts be???. They want to give it to me, but I don't want to do that. They need the money. Oak

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,408 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November 2023

I cant hardly imagine the wood being in good condition with rain running down it, but ok, maybe. I keep looking for a long action BDL stock here, and elsewhere. Seems they are priced at $300.00 and up. I haven't gotten one yet.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

In my world a fair price would start at $100/$200 for a used, in good condition common stock , sights $25/$50.

BUT if you are looking to make it a Christmas gift to them maybe up to $250 total .

$300 ?, but only if they are your best friends and you a feeling very generous this holiday season.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

You’ve been doing this a long time, but there’s some risk estimating condition given where it’s been laying. I’d offer to make it all go away and give them $100. If you feel like you got too good a deal once you strip it you could always give them a bit more.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with HPD, how could the wood be in good condition when everything else has been ruined.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,034 ✭✭✭✭

Heck, I want you to buy it just so we can see a picture of it.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Your a good Man, @Oakie/John. You will be more than fair with them here, I am sure. Member's here, are giving good advice/input. Proud to call you a "Friend."

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭

From your description I would consider anything above $100 to be charity.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭

Take th rifle for free and then pay for their Thanksgiving .

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

The 700 sight set alone is 100 to 150 depending on which set. I have had firearms come in fully rusted an the stock only water stained not warped. If the stock was sealed inside like the outside water might just have run off of it. Now the rusted metal is different. Out side can be fixed up. Thats what paint or sera-coat is for. In side is were the work comes in. Some times they can be saved. But if it was brought to me as a parts buyer I would be in the 100 to 200 range. If the sight are good. Now for the stock another 50 to 150.00 depending on condition. So total would be 150 to 300.00. The rest of the firearm is gravy if it can be saved