In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Starship Launch Upcoming

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭

SpaceX will attempt to launch their monster craft Starship this morning at 7:00 Central time. The live webcast is live here: https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-2

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭

Darn it! Missed the liftoff but it looks like it made it off the pad and is doing pretty good now. Go Elon!

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭

And now I just thought I heard them mention an 'unscheduled disassembly'...

Oops!

• Options
    RossoRacerRossoRacer Member Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Starship, you say?

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭

On the tv news they just said that the launch went bad.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky, have you applied to be the voice of SpaceX?? Who would be more qualified??

That was one hell of an explosion to be labeled an "Unscheduled disassembly!!" An amazing example of understatement!!

Rocky since your knowledge of all things space is far past anyone else here on GB, what do you think of Elon and SpaceX??

Personally, I'm impressed but what do I know.

• Options
    edited November 2023

I did apply to be their launch commentator, but they went with having employees do it - and they mostly do an excellent job.

SpaceX is simply astounding. When I was with NASA, every single engineer there swore up and down that returning a booster to land and reuse was not only impractical but impossible. Elon himself is brilliant, but (like Trump) addicted to hyperbole. That's to be expected in a showman and entrepreneur, of course. And he mostly follows through on his grandiose claims.

As to the self-destructs: both occurred after at least 90% of the hoped-for data points had been achieved. They'll be able to tell what triggered the RUDs, but they were NOT failures. From my initial observations in real time, it looked to me that the first stage started its flip and boost back, but may have kept on "flipping" instead of pointing correctly. That would have caused the self-destruct mechanism to activate - which it did. The second stage looked to me to have an anomalous plume very close to the end of its planned burn, which may have been either an engine failure or some other serious issue. Again, the self-destruct system sensed that and performed as designed. Telemetry analysis will reveal all.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭

Well done SpaceX!

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭

Very good impressive. 100% of first stage engines survived to separation. Would have been great to see that monster come home.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options

Watching replays, the first stage had engine issues trying to relight some of them. At least one may have exploded. The telemetry will reveal all.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,034 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Meh........................it blew up again.

I do want to see a successful launch and recovery.

Baby steps.............

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭

Well, he's done a hundred times better than NASA did and in a fraction of the time.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"