In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone have a Stihl MS 261 or MS 362?

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to choose between the two. Anyone have either, or both, if so, opinions on them? Plan on getting an 18" and a 24" or 28" extra bar. My small town dealer carries Stihl and I want to support him.

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭

Cutting big or small stuff?

Big stuff, 12 inches and bigger, 362 with a 18 inch bar max, and chipper chain.

Small stuff, 261, max 18 inch bar, and chipper chain. Top of the line small saw for sure.

Bought one for neighbor hood handy man to use. Runs and cuts well.

I run 362's and 460 magnums, will out cut a 261 any time, any where.

Run a skip link chipper chain, a chain not for beginners.

My 2 cents.

Oh and be sure you buy the MS series unless you want a fuel injected version then it will be noted with an "I".

• Options

Anywhere from 2" to 30" stuff and I always run semi or full skip chiesel tooth chains. I currently have a little MS 170 and a Husky 266 XP, so I want to get one saw to replace both of them. I won't be cutting that much big stuff, but I don't like to bend over cutting firewood.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭

I've got the MS390 with a 25" bar and love it. A bit bigger than either one you're looking at. Go big or go home.

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

For the length of bars, you mention a MS362 would be the choice. Both are good saws, but the MS261C with 18" bars is nice. I used a 261c yesterday and the AV (anti vibe) and trigger response are nice and power to weight is hard to beat.

I have had several of both including M-Tronic and non M-Tronic MS261s and MS362s. I highly recommend both but they don't get much sweeter than the MS261s.

• Options

As time goes by the bigger one will get quite heavy. Ask me how I know.

• Options

I don't pack a saw around like I used to, but am leaning towards the 261. The 362 has about 15% more power and weight, but costs about 25% more.

• Options
    edited November 2023

261 is a good saw, just don't try to make a 362 or bigger out of it.

The 261 I bought a couple months ago was 550.00 +- a bit.

362 would be way more around here, at least from a dealer.

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

I bought a new 362 with a 20" bar a year ago. It only has about 10 minutes of run time. It cuts through burr oak like nothing. I replaced a tired 20 year old 290. I thought that was good saw, it's nothing compared to the 362.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭

My new Stihl is an MS 261. I like it a lot over the old Stihl I have. It's a lot easier on my shoulder.

Joe

• Options
    jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Have one of each and the big one only comes out when bucking up bigger logs.

it’s nice to do trim work with a lighter saw if you aren’t 35 years old anymore !

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭

Great saws whatever you end up with.