In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Final Delta IV Heavy Launch Coming Up

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭

The last in the long family of Delta rockets is set for launch today from the Cape. Liftoff is 1:40 pm Eastern. For more details and to watch - LINK

On a personal note, Deltas were my favorite rocket, both to watch and to narrate for launch. The Delta II and III models were not only very reliable but just plain beautiful.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options

New Launch time 2:45 Eastern

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed in my launch app- unfortunately. I’ll be in flight between Dallas and Orlando when it lites off.

• Options

Winds are a problem, but they're GO.

• Options

HOLD Stand by…

• Options

Scrub for today 24-hr turnaround.

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭

Worked on the Delta ll second stage engines. The injector assembly was made with stacked platelet assemblies to enable complicated flow channels in the injector dome. We had to hydro test them at high pressure to make sure that all orifices were clear, and streams met at the proper angle. Saw many a very wet engineer climb out of the tank.

• Options

New launch date/time TBD.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

I know a little bit about supplying the LO2 required for these launches - and let's just say those suppliers aren't exactly all broken up when a launch is scrubbed...

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭

Some what related

Many years ago 25 or 30?

The Company I worked for( Honda) use to bring in motivational speakers and just interesting people for the employees and sometimes to hellp fill in slow time when things were not selling or diply issues

Any way once a older fellow came in for the day

He was a machinist? But also worked for NASA

they Contracted him to build some trye of mixing ring for the rockets

And it had to be perfect or having big boom he told us the tolerances were for the most part zero

I don't remember his name and a lot of details

at the time it was intersting but so much i was commiting much to memory

only he was retired and did this work at home for them and how precise his work had to be machining the ring he had photos no t like I said thay was years ago