In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bacon wrapped shrimp tacos

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 25 in General Discussion

If you haven't made it or had them they are good. Basically shell 13/15 count shrimp and cut bacon strips in half. I like thick cut or regular Farmer John or Black Label Bacon. You want something that can stretch so a wet cure bacon. Wrap the bacon around the shelled shrimp and secure with 9" bamboo skewers. You'll get 4 bacon wrapped shrimp to a stick that should leave you bamboo ends exposed to flip them.

I use thick cut on the charcoal grill and regular if you use the oven or toaster. The thick cut remains rubbery in the oven or toaster and will over cook the shrimp before the bacon gets done.

Double ply the corn tortillas and stove top it in a pan to your liking. Now since I had left over Mexican shredded cheese blend I made quesadilla. Slapped some Kewpie mayo (I suppose regular mayo would work?) on the tortillas and place bacon wrapped shrimps with a good slop of salsa.

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 705 ✭✭✭✭

I may get a wrist slap but yosh must be the new Ken in the cooking department

Starve a fellow to death.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭

….mmmm!, sounds great!…several years ago I passed a guy on the side of the road selling shrimp out of those huge coolers it takes two people to carry …common in places here with the coast close & the huge shrimping industry there… his sign said "large heads on shrimp $5 lb"…man, he wasn't lying! the biggest shrimp I ve ever seen before and not seen since…those suckers were HUGE, 6-7 to the pound.😮….I bought 6 lbs…since it was a Saturday and half a dozen of us got together every Sunday, I tossed them all on the grill just covered w/bacon strips, fantastic! If you want to know if shrimp are really fresh, hold them by the head and shake 'em, if the head stays on & they dont have a strong smell, they're fresh…

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭

Butchdog3 - Please Ken ain't gonna eat half the stuff I'll eat. I reckon what I'll eat won't even be classified as "food" like from the movie "Ladies Man". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGkJOe_KIP8 or what Colonel Trautman said Rambo could stomach. I think I'll watch "Ladies Man" while I cook later today.

Texas1911DE - $5 a pound for 6-7 head on to a pound? That's crazy good price (figure that's like 13/15 count minus the head). We got local spot prawns about that size for $20 a pound in season but that was 5+ years. I can imagine them to be $30 these days maybe even closer 4o $40?

If I were there I'd buy 10 pounds for myself then run to the bank to get more money to buy more.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭

…yoshi, I bought those giant shrimp in the early 80's…things were a lot cheaper then…

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,449 ******

I may not be much of a master chef but IMO, I would at least cook the bacon a bit before wrapping it around the uncooked shrimp. Shrimp only take a few minutes and the bacon takes a bit longer to get done. Done safely that is.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

Have to say, there's not alot you can't wrap in bacon, pin together w/some toothpicks, slather in a good Q sauce and bake that's not going to come out pretty palatable. Water chestnuts work great, mini-wieners, scallops, chicken nuggets. Do em' on the grill - even better.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Brookwood on this. Too much variance in required cook times to do them together.

Frankly, the idea of bacon and shrimp together doesn't hit it with me. Shrimp is far too delicate and mild to be smothered in bacon. A shrimp taco? By all means. But hold the bacon, please.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.