In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

seller w/ only a PO box/no address

redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Anybody dealt w/ a seller who says he's an FFL but only gives a PO box?It sounds a little shady to me.Don't ffl's have to have a street address to operate?

Comments

• Options
    rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is shady[8]
  • Options
    Spc FergusonSpc Ferguson Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rdc5
    That is shady[8]

+1
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Not necessarily shady. His shop may have a physical address but not be on a mail route. It happens in very small towns and rural areas.

I have lived and have run a part-time gun shop in two locations where I had to use a post office box to get mail, and had no physical address.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nunn,This guy has good feedback I was just worried about the PO box thing.He is out in Bum Washington.I may give the guy a chance.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some of our small towns we do not have carrier delevery. Only po boxes. Call or email the seller and get his ffl number and run it through EZCHECK>
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Even here in a large urban area like SoCal there are small rural "pockets" (such as homes loacted in the canyons) where there is no curb-side or home mail delivery and all mail must go to a post office box. In these situations using an actual street address will get your letter kicked back as undeliverable.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Not necessarily shady. His shop may have a physical address but not be on a mail route. It happens in very small towns and rural areas.

I have lived and have run a part-time gun shop in two locations where I had to use a post office box to get mail, and had no physical address.

Do you mean that you had a physical address.. but no U.S. mail service to it...Or are you saying that there were No address at all...I have lived in the country here in Utah. It did have an address, but no mail service. so I had to have a P.O box to get USPS, BUT Fed-X and UPS delivered to my address, If I gave that instead of my P.O. box#... Along with a way that the county Fire and Sheriff Dept. could locate it, Without telling them to turn at the y in the road were the three legged dog sits most of the time

I'm not doubting, just wondering if I miss understood you or If your part of the country is different...That there was No physical address

And if you didn't have an Address how did you get the utilities hooked up and fix when needed

By the way, I live where there is a lot off Mormons, They ALWAYS give directions from a Ward...That's what they call the LDS church that is located nearest to them....When they start giving me directions from a Ward...I just ask them where is it from the liquor store[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any chance the dealer is in Elma? If so, Andy is 1st rate. I use him as much as I can and recommend him to every who is looking for anyting firearm related.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Do you mean that you had a physical address.. but no U.S. mail service to it...Or are you saying that there were No address at all...

I have actually lived in a place that had no physical address. It was at the end of a private road, extending from the end of a logging road, 3 miles from the nearest public-maintained road. It was remote. What with 911 mapping, it probably has an address now, but not in the mid 1970s.

Another place I lived could have had a physical address, but that made no difference, since there was no mail delivery there.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,409 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fep1990
    Any chance the dealer is in Elma? If so, Andy is 1st rate. I use him as much as I can and recommend him to every who is looking for anyting firearm related.
    Andy has a store down town. There is another feller I think that lives up Cloqullaum(sp?)Creek out of Elma. If one pulls up transfer dealers in this area there is another guy besides East County Guns anyway.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nunn said "I have actually lived in a place that had no physical address. It was at the end of a private road, extending from the end of a logging road, 3 miles from the nearest public-maintained road. It was remote. What with 911 mapping, it probably has an address now, but not in the mid 1970s.

Another place I lived could have had a physical address, but that made no difference, since there was no mail delivery there."

I live on a street that had several houses with physical addresses but no mail delivery for years. The local USPS would not deliver mail because of safety reasons. The safety reason was because the road was not paved. After the road was paved the USPS allowed mail boxes and mail delivery but still will not deliver packages because my "driveway" is not paved. Actually they may have something with those rules. My driveway has caught three of the mainstreem delivery trucks in the last few years. One was a UPS truck the second I don't remember if it was a DSL or Fed ex truck and the last one was just last week. That was a Fed Ex truck. I had a appointment so I could't help him dig out so I gave him a can of Kerns Nectar, a shovel and some wood blocks. When I came home he was still there. He gave up and called a tow truck driver.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for info. From Postal Regulations.

"When the Postal Service determines not to provide carrier delivery to a customer's physical address or business location that constitutes a potential carrier delivery point, as defined by the Postal Service, that customer becomes eligible for one Post Office box at the Group E fee, subject to the regulations outlined in DMM 508.4.6. For more information on Fee Group E eligibility, see DMM 508.4.6.2-3."

Free P.O. Box ? They won't tell you, if you don't ask.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Get his FFL number and run it through BATFE's EZ-CHECK website. It will give you the physical address.
  • Options
    jma2006jma2006 Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

True, I deliver in Wv where there is no 911 address system, I deal with this everyday. People just make up their own addresses most of the time.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a guy on another forum, called "Rifles" Roy Comalli, out in California.
    Roy sold his entire collection over on Gunboards. He sold about 700 high quality military surplus rifles, his daughter needed some expensive surgery.
    He only had a PO Box and he was as ethical as could be.

I got 4 of his rifles, thank you Rifles Roy.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hoosier
    Just for info. From Postal Regulations.

"When the Postal Service determines not to provide carrier delivery to a customer's physical address or business location that constitutes a potential carrier delivery point, as defined by the Postal Service, that customer becomes eligible for one Post Office box at the Group E fee, subject to the regulations outlined in DMM 508.4.6. For more information on Fee Group E eligibility, see DMM 508.4.6.2-3."

Free P.O. Box ?
    There are a few places around me where they will not deliver,
    and YES the P.O. box is FREE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks BIGTIRE,I checked him out on EZ CHECK,He's a real FFL.Has excellent GB feedback,I sure as hope he's o.k..I just sent him a $500.00+ check.Guess we'll find out.
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    There are no physical addresses around here either. At best we have
    what they call box #'s. For instance, my "box" is 1445. It is an actual
    mail box, but is ?mi. away from the house and in sight of anyone that
    can watch it. I also have a P.O. box, so anything that comes USPS
    they just hold at the post office...but I have the advantage of having
    of being able to use something other than a P.O. box as an address as
    that sometimes just isn't acceptable.

UPS, Fedex, etc. will deliver here... sometimes, but if the creeks are
    up, the roads are bad, or if they're just running short on time..they're
    just as apt to leave our pkg at the P.O. for us to pick up.lol

Actually I never give our P.O. box as an address, but that's where we
    always pick it up.
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys....All you need is one kook, and you'd change your contact info, too. That's what I did...changed from street and town to a rented PO box. There's some real nuts out there these days. BT
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,701 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jma2006

True, I deliver in Wv where there is no 911 address system, I deal with this everyday. People just make up their own addresses most of the time.

Yep. "Third house on left up Gas Line Hollow". Look for the yellow ATV in the yard. Mind the dog!
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how can those of you without a physical address buy a firearm? 4473 says NO PO BOX
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I live in town and we did not have physical addressess until about 10 years ago when 911 mapping came to be.

Out of the town of 200 there are only about 4 of us with mail delivery the rest have PO Boxes.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Do you mean that you had a physical address.. but no U.S. mail service to it...Or are you saying that there were No address at all...

I have actually lived in a place that had no physical address. It was at the end of a private road, extending from the end of a logging road, 3 miles from the nearest public-maintained road. It was remote. What with 911 mapping, it probably has an address now, but not in the mid 1970s.

Another place I lived could have had a physical address, but that made no difference, since there was no mail delivery there.

Thanks nunn, wasn't trying to be a smart *, just didn't know if it was different there than here... Well maybe just a little smart azzy