In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help identifying this little pocket revolver

icondoiticondoit Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to identify this little revolver. I have found others on the internet that are quite similar, yet different.
Here's what I know about it:

Center-fire.
Cylinder holds 5 rounds.
It is larger than a .22 and smaller than a .25 - probably 6mm.
It has a thumb safety on the back, just above the grips.
Can't find any markings of any kind except the number 6 stamped in several places.
Barrel is hex shaped.
No insignia of any kind on the grips.
The gun was discovered in WW2, but I have no idea when it was manufactured.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2096.jpgIMG_2099.jpgIMG_2106.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Velodog Revolver, probably made in Belgium, and made for shooting dogs trying to bite your ankles while riding your bicycle.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very reminiscent of late / final production of kolb or sedgly baby hammerless pocket revolvers

Length of the cylinder and diameter of the chambers indicate a high probability of 5.5mm velodog chambering / or possibly .25 long rimfire

Belgian clone or possibly made in Spain (proof marks and stamping will identify the exact COO)

Check the inside of the grip frame - and obverse side of the panels for markings - front face of cylinder as well

Also based on the pattern and intricately of the design architecture France might be involved

Mike
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like a copy of the puppy bulldog.
    But heres the rub...everyone and their brother made versions of them. All with small changes. Closest I 've found is on page 160 of
    A.B. ZHUK's illustrated book.

gun #1221
    F.A. FRANCISCO ARIZMENDI

There are pages and pages of almost the same guns.

[:(]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference, shows many different Velo Dog type revolvers. Made in various European countries, from the 1890's till the early 1900's. When small 32 & 25 automatics. Became more popular, for personal protection.

The one's made in Spain, didn't have any proof marks. Likely that's where yours, emanates from. There was a 6 mm cartridge called the "Type Francaise". Chambered in the Spanish Velo Dog's. Again, that's likely what yours is.
  • Options
    GB MarketingGB Marketing Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 122 admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    GB MarketingGB Marketing Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 122 admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said, Velo Dog style revolver, but the Velo Dog cartridge was longer than that cylinder appears. 5.5 Velo dog has an case length of 35.6mm, OAL is 39.4 mm .25 Auto is a semi-rimmed cartridge, and was used in small revolvers from that time frame. Check the firing pin position and see if it is centerfire or rimfire. Both the Velo Dog and .25 ACP are centerfire.

FWIW, every revolver that I have seen with a closed scallop style cylinder flute has been Belgian. The one thing the Begians DID do with religious attention was to proof fire and mark guns made there.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=c6kxGrsN&id=67ECB7996C017D414E9C401C4F62556A7B6AE6A4&thid=OIP.c6kxGrsN5Vq8FKn7geecmQHaJG&mediaurl=http://www.bevfitchett.us/ballistics/images/3112_12_27-belgium-kal.jpg&exph=472&expw=384&q=belgian+proof+marks&simid=608048710741590679&selectedIndex=4&ajaxhist=0

Proof stamps are usually found on the frame, right side, at rear of bbl, and on the back face of the cylinder. Above link should give you an idea of proof marks. However, the design was copied in the Basque region of Spain, and proofmarks are usually absent on those.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    Velodog Revolver, probably made in Belgium, and made for shooting dogs trying to bite your ankles while riding your bicycle.

^^^this is it, I have a twin to yours and have shot .25's in it years ago, the trigger drops down to pull and folds upward to store. The hand in mine has slipped out of place and needs to be reset but I'm not sure how to do it, so it just sits in a drawer for conversation :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee