In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

more sad news on the gun front.....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
Heard that Lew Horton was closing down at the end of this year.... They were a major purchaser of firearms, and had many of their own variations produced... Sad ending to a really great company...

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one Lew Horton, 629 3?. It gets attention at the range!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any links or info as to why?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Distributors are slowly being squeezed out of the marketplace, at least in the traditional sense. A large firearms manufacturer, lets say Palmetto Armory, avoids using distributors by having consumers go to their website, select their firearms and then using a list of FFLs provided on the website, the buyer has the gun shipped to the FFL for transfer. In this situation, there is no need for a distributor as the consumer is essentially getting his firearm at dealer price.

The more traditional approach is still used by SIGARMS. They have a retail site, but if you want to buy firearms directly from SIG you need to spend $200,000. Although one of our well heeled members spends that much every year on car wax...$200K is a lot of money for me, so I buy from a distributor. In any case, the price difference between buying factory direct verses through distributor is not as great as you might think, so in the case of SIG, the distributor prevails.

Gun Broker has a hand in this as well. Bill Hicks, a large distributor, sells on Gun Broker using the name TheGunDock. If you look at the prices charged on GB verses Hick's dealer prices, the markup is around 4%, which would seem to cover Gun Broker fees. Hicks won't sell consumer direct, but anyone can buy through Gun Broker. I bought two silencers from TheGunDock/Bill Hicks through Gun Broker because it was less of a hassle than ordering through Bill Hick's company website.

The issue of distributors place in the firearms industry is in a state of flux. Horton was better known for their semicustom firearms and not as a go-to distributor for dealers, which isn't a good thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Horton was better known for their semicustom firearms and not as a go-to distributor for dealers, which isn't a good thing.

That's actually the only thing I knew of them. So they are closing the custom shop down as well?
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Distributors are slowly being squeezed out of the marketplace, at least in the traditional sense. A large firearms manufacturer, lets say Palmetto Armory, avoids using distributors by having consumers go to their website, select their firearms and then using a list of FFLs provided on the website, the buyer has the gun shipped to the FFL for transfer. In this situation, there is no need for a distributor as the consumer is essentially getting his firearm at dealer price.
    The issue of distributors place in the firearms industry is in a state of flux.

Dealers: Wanna stop it? Charge 150.00 for a transfer. Make the money that you are losing. Flame away. Please, flame away. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    slinger wrote:
    Dealers: Wanna stop it? Charge 150.00 for a transfer. Make the money that you are losing. Flame away. Please, flame away. :D

Then, you'll lose any customers that might have bought from you for items you might have in the future. I have walked away from more than a few gun stores when they raised their rates on transfers beyond normal (for here). One basically said what you are saying in that he was competing with himself. I said OK, show me the mint condition Ruger 44 mag fingergroove carbine or the Bren Ten that you have in stock and we'll talk (which were the two items I was there to pick up). Brand new, current production things, perhaps there might be some merit to it. However, any dealer than wants to charge more than $30 for a transfer, loses me for any possible future local purchases.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved looking through the distributor mailers and catalogs and fliers...

I loved the special order limited edition distributor or dealer contract runs of odd and upscale or interesting makes and models of standard guns - the strange configurations and colors and variants...

We always did well with those firearms in the gunshop days - I have a dozen of them myself...

The SIG triple black nightmare 320 I bought for Makaila 3 years ago from Davidson's is a perfect example - my colt AR carbine with the heavy target barrel is another...

Variety is the spice of life and most of the distributor folk were great people.

Mike
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soon gun businesses will be driven out by rules and regulations by city,county,state and The Federal government for your safety and peace of mind. Just like how they will track and monitor you 24/7 in all public and private areas to ensure the rule of law is being instilled by their quasi-presence. You are not guilty until proven in the court of law but information is always handy to have just in case. ;)

serf
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    slinger wrote:

Then, you'll lose any customers that might have bought from you for items you might have in the future. I have walked away from more than a few gun stores when they raised their rates on transfers beyond normal (for here). One basically said what you are saying in that he was competing with himself. I said OK, show me the mint condition Ruger 44 mag fingergroove carbine or the Bren Ten that you have in stock and we'll talk (which were the two items I was there to pick up). Brand new, current production things, perhaps there might be some merit to it. However, any dealer than wants to charge more than $30 for a transfer, loses me for any possible future local purchases.
    Points well taken. I was fixated on (not) losing distributors. And I was thinking of Palmetto replacing Mom and Pops. Specialty items are a different ballgame. You are entirely correct about that issue.
    Have a great day.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no doubt the marketplace is changing. Local shops have tp change with it.

A local shop here does free transfers for Veterans. I think I bought a gun from them every time they did a transfer for me.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had many of smith performance shop with his custom touches.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,534 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    .......you need to spend $200,000. Although one of our well heeled members spends that much every year on car wax.....

:):):):lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Gun Broker has a hand in this as well. Bill Hicks, a large distributor, sells on Gun Broker using the name TheGunDock. If you look at the prices charged on GB verses Hick's dealer prices, the markup is around 4%, which would seem to cover Gun Broker fees. Hicks won't sell consumer direct, but anyone can buy through Gun Broker. I bought two silencers from TheGunDock/Bill Hicks through Gun Broker because it was less of a hassle than ordering through Bill Hick's company website.

I'm not saying that Hicks is not selling on GB, but TheGunDock has a storefront in Paris, KY and Bill Hicks is located in Minneapolis, MN.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 8 to 10 percent sales tax some States are now requiring does not help sales.

4% CC fees, 8 % sales tax. $30 FFL fee, Ins and shipping on a $1000 gun gets to be kinda expensive.

Think I might sell most of mine. ( I bought one from Kasey yesterday).
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .......you need to spend $200,000. Although one of our well heeled members spends that much every year on car wax.....

:):):):lol::lol::lol:

:shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: