In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smashed the Hell out of my Thumb last night.

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Was going to be cold, about 35-39* with snow flurries this AM. Was loading the woodstove in order to have a fire ready to light this AM.

Was inserting a weird Y shaped white oak log on top of my kindling. Kinda got stuck. After several minutes of trying to get it unstuck, yanked on it. Of course it came free, smashing my left thumb with the weight behind it onto the upper lip of my woodstove door. Knew instantly, this is not good. Coppery taste in my mouth. Incredibly painful. Nail turned black within minutes.

Did not get much sleep last night, as I could feel every heartbeat through my thumb. Very painful. I was very close to getting up, heating up a paper clip to melt a hole in my nail in order to alleviatiate the pressure. Thumb is about twice the size as my other one this AM. Thank god for beer.

Oh yeah. Nice fire going just now. :D

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have 3 Heatmor woodburning heater systems here at the campgrounds.
    There are more of your exact wounds done by wood logs being thrown into them when guys load them up.
    Always painful, always a "Ah Shiitt!" accident.
    :oops: :x
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe less beer before loading, and more beer after loading.............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    maybe less beer before loading, and more beer after loading.............

Was loading it shortly after getting home last evening. Things just did not work out in my favor Hillbille.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can ya bend it Ken? (Painful or not.) Wondering if, when ya mashed it, do ya mostly have the ?meat? all jacked up or if ya cracked some bone in there along the way.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can ya bend it Ken? (Painful or not.) Wondering if, when ya mashed it, do ya mostly have the ?meat? all jacked up or if ya cracked some bone in there along the way.

Nah Chris. Only F'd up the nail. My thumb is not broke. Can painfully flex/bend it.

Good stuff. I am enjoying my fire just now, (and a beer) for what that is worth. :D

My good younger work Buddy has just been accepted to the Abingdon, VA. Police force, will be going through the Academy in July. I've been mentoring him, talking about Military, (Marines.) Told him about you, yesterday. Proud of him, (and You) Brother.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GreatGuns wrote:
    Well that sucks, sorry to hear that Ken. Ice it down and yes, beer seems to help in circumstances like that. So does Jack Daniels. Feel better.

Jim

Ran some cold water over it shortly after. Felt like I was pushing a large bore needle in to the nail.

Stopped that Sheeit shortly thereafter.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will feel better as soon as it quits hurting...... :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Amazing how debilitating some minor injuries can be though..Hope you get better soon, because it has to be hard holding a taco with one hand. Guess there's always chicken legs... :roll:
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear that both your thumb isn?t worse and your friend has a new career on the horizon. My only advice to him would be to adopt Sam06?s terminology while in basic. Be the ?Gray Man?, again, his words, so that at the end of the program, the instructors look at him and ask themselves ?...who the hell is that?? Damn good words of wisdom. Don't be a cowboy, or a wise *, don?t be first, don?t be last, just train, learn and graduate. The wise guys and Superman wanna be?s always screw up, fall by the wayside or cause extra PT for the rest, then get dropped/DQ?ed after causing grief for everyone else.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good to hear that both your thumb isn?t worse and your friend has a new career on the horizon. My only advice to him would be to adopt Sam06?s terminology while in basic. Be the ?Gray Man?, again, his words, so that at the end of the program, the instructors look at him and ask themselves ?...who the hell is that?? Damn good words of wisdom. Don't be a cowboy, or a wise *, don?t be first, don?t be last, just train, learn and graduate. The wise guys and Superman wanna be?s always screw up, fall by the wayside or cause extra PT for the rest, then get dropped/DQ?ed after causing grief for everyone else.

Been there, done that. Many Army courses, including Airborne. You do not want to attract attention.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Amazing how debilitating some minor injuries can be though..Hope you get better soon, because it has to be hard holding a taco with one hand. Guess there's always chicken legs... :roll:

Chicken Tenders, Bro.

Chicken Tenders.

Taco's, I can eat one handed. 8 last night. 4 more shortly. Along with Nachos Belle Grande, and a Chicken/rice burtitto. :D
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:

Chicken Tenders, Bro.

Chicken Tenders.

Taco's, I can eat one handed. 8 last night. 4 more shortly. Along with Nachos Belle Grande, and a Chicken/rice burtitto. :D

I can see you sitting down and using your teeth to open the sauce packets...... :lol:

Do hope it gets better though Ken.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    toad67 wrote:
    toad67 wrote:

Chicken Tenders, Bro.

Chicken Tenders.

I can see you sitting down and using your teeth to open the sauce packets...... :lol:

Do hope it gets better though Ken.

I hate when you visualize me like that.

Besides, I was spooning Hot Pace extra chunky salsa on my cheap Taco's

The opening Diablo sauce packets with my teeth, is a useful thought though. :) .
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I smashed my thumb 0nce that it throbs so bad from the pressure building up behind the nail that I had to go to the emergency room

The doctor took a needle heated it Red Hot and drilled three holes with it in my nail. The blood didn't just ooze out, it squirted out. While he was doing that I thought I was going to die because of the Heat and the pressure it took to push up my nail. but it released that pressure to where it felt better afterwards, almost like I never smashed it.

I can't give you a medical advice, but since then every time I've smashed in the finger that's what I've done was took a needle got it red-hot and drilled a hole in nail to relieve the pressure. But if you do it, understand you'll hate me for about 5 minutes while the excruciating pain shoots through your body as you drill the hole. But you will be able to sleep if you do it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I smashed my thumb 0nce that it throbs so bad from the pressure building up behind the nail that I had to go to the emergency room

The doctor took a needle heated it Red Hot and drilled three holes with it in my nail. The blood didn't just ooze out, it squirted out. While he was doing that I thought I was going to die because of the Heat and the pressure it took to push up my nail. but it released that pressure to where it felt better afterwards, almost like I never smashed it.

I can't give you a medical advice, but since then every time I've smashed in the finger that's what I've done was took a needle got it red-hot and drilled a hole in nail to relieve the pressure. But if you do it, understand you'll hate me for about 5 minutes while the excruciating pain shoots through your body as you drill the hole. But you will be able to sleep if you do it.

I have had to do that multiple times in my life. (One a Toe nail, damaged while Skiing.) Repaired while on slope. Hideous screams ensued. (Top Lift at a Ski resort, in NY State.) [Gore Mountain.]

It does not get any easier, but you know what you have to do.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fun, isn't it? :shock: Reminds me of doing something similar 25-30 years ago.

Grandpa and I were heading to the rifle range, to sight in a new rifle he'd picked up. Around this time of year, and the weather was nice enough to roll down the windows. I hop in the passenger side, and any other time, I would've grabbed the inside handle to shut the door. This time I grabbed the top of the door, hand grasping around the frame, and gave the door a pull.

The door shut. The door latched. My thumb was between the door and the cab. Did I mention that the door had latched? I'm sitting there grunting, groaning, and short of screaming, making just about every sound humanly possible. I might have screamed. I don't recall blacking out, but it was close. I couldn't reach the handle with my left hand, to open the door. Grandpa looks over, says "YEP! Ya did it, didn't you?", gets out of the truck, comes around, and opens the door. He looks at the nail growing larger and darker, and says "stay put, and I'll show you a trick to get rid of the pain". He goes into the garage, brings out the smallest drill bit I'd ever seen, and proceeds to drill a couple holes through the thumbnail.

Pop pop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is! :D:o :shock:
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I have had to do that multiple times in my life. (One a Toe nail, damaged while Skiing.) Repaired while on slope. Hideous screams ensued. (Top Lift at a Ski resort, in NY State.) [Gore Mountain.]

It does not get any easier, but you know what you have to do.

I don't envy you, and I will be feeling your pain as you do it :(
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking that I will sleeping better tonight. Last night, I felt every single heart beat, in my thumb. No matter how I held it, trying to get it higher than my body, etc.

Excruciating.

Tonight will be much, much better.