In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Das Boot -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Excellent movie. Just starting now.

Ch. 130 Dish Network.

Comments

• Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent movie and classic, for sure!
    What's next?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Philadelphia has a naval museum that includes the Olympia (one of the last great white cruisers) - a space to dock visiting tall ships (across the river is the Battleship New Jersey and the Richelieu (a tall ship converted into a dockside restaurant) amongst other attractions and memorials and items of interest (when I was a kid you could also get aboard the United States - an incredibly fast and luxurious cruise liner of fame)

On the Philly side is a German U-boat open for tours - and as a scout (whilst a weblos I recall) we stayed aboard her overnight as a field trip...

Even at that age and size I was amazed how tight the confines were - especially small were the water tight bulkhead doors (you either hit your head or barked your shin)

We spent the night assigned a bunk or hammock and a station - there were mock alerts and an emergency dive - etc...

The sleeping arrangements were diminutive - the engines exposed and accessible from the interior of the boat...

We watched Das Boat as part of the educational event.

I don't recall the name and type of the boat or what her service record was - I guess that could be searched on Google - I am now wondering what her specs were and how she came to be on display in Philly...

We did a similar overnight on the Coast Guard vessel Eagle (a German war reparations prize reflagged and renamed - the last of the great steel sailing ships)

Kids can now do this on the New Jersey (I was a docent when they opened)

It added a certain perspective when viewing submarine movies after that.

Later in life while at the gunshop we manufactured noise and smoke making training cartridges for the cruiser Olympia (a .45-70 cartridge was used as a primer for the main gun turrets)

Good film and good memories - thanks for the reminder.

Mike
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Das Boot trailer information - "Of the 40,000 men who went to Sea, 30,000 were lost."

The highest attrition rate of any "Service," in WWII.

I believe it was followed by the 8th Air Force B-17 Bomber Crews.

One in four for the U-Boat Crews. I belive it was one in five, for the 8th Airforce B-17 Bomber Crews.

I doubt this takes in to consideration Russian Forces, who took a Huge loss overall. I am sure their attrition rate was higher. (% wise.)