In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I haven't bought a knife

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
in months. I feel weak and my left eye has been twitching.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,822 ******
    edited November -1
    I haven?t bought a knife lately, but I did find a little Boker 3 blade that I thought was lost. Pulled out a pair of shoes from the closet and it was in one shoe. Like finding money. :)
    I used to find knives under the clothes line where my wife hung my jeans. She didn?t even check the pockets!
    Durned woman.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought four at my local pawn shop last week. all used, unsharpened Case multi-blade folders. plan to use for Christmas gifts. my billfold twiched a little but my eyes are ok.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a 3 pack of folding utility knives for $10 last week. Lifetime warranty. Never need sharpening.
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Swiss Army Super Tinker to replace the one that was found in my suitcase in LaGuardia airport. It had been found in Vilnius, Lithuania earlier the same day, and the girl handed it back to me. In Moscow, it wasn't noticed when the suitcase went through the x-ray, and I hoped it would not be noticed in LaGuardia.

They wouldn't let us check our bags through from Vilnius because we had bought those tickets sepately from the Moscow to home tickets. Therefore, we had to take our bags as carry on luggage.

At Lagurdia, they asked for volunteers to check their carry on bags. I did so, but it was after my knife had been confiscated.

That is why I had to order a replacement knfe.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought two U.S. made Kershaw automatics last month. One blade is 3.25" , the other 1.9". I found myself carrying the shorter one for EDC. The larger one is a bit too heavy for comfortable carry, will go in my hunting pack. They are both wicked sharp right out of the package.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do it!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Chinese knockoff of an Italian Stiletto Switch Blade at a gun show Saturday. Actually has real wood grips.

Worked perfectly for removing the ziptie from my Ruger LC9S I checked at the door, as I walked out the parking lot.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I am going somewhere and buy a made in the USA knife just because in the next two days. :):):):)
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't bought one in a while either. I did get a few out and sharpen them. I found a knife I have had for years, one of the best field knives I ever had and hands down the best knife of dressing out an animal. I don't hunt any more so it has not been used in about 18 years.

A Grohmann Original. The first one I saw was in 1983 in Edmonton when I was training with the Canadian Paratroopers. I like the knife so much one of the guys got me one and gave it to me. I gave him a Kbar(a real one) in exchange.

R1S_02.jpg
    RLTW

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a knife guy. I have a few in different sizes for various uses but don't really collect them. My brother-in-law mentioned once that he'd like another one of the Old Timer/Uncle Henry/Schrade knife that he had. I started looking and quickly learned they had been sold and the easily found stuff was all Chinese junk. I looked for a while and finally found him an original. After I got it, I remembered how good it was so I bought one for myself, along with a SharpFinger for small game. It is a shame they sold out and went down the drain.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    I have an old Junglee Foreign Legion folder with the belt clip. If I could find another original I'd buy it in a second, just in case mine ever broke or I lost it. I've had mine on me every day since My daughter gave it to me for my birthday 20 years ago. I've cleaned dozens of Deer with it, gardened with it, used it as a tool in the shop and definitely didn't pamper it. Still looks good, works flawlessly, easy to sharpen and holds an edge. I've had it so long and used it so often it is like another body part. The only maintenance is a weekly sharpening and occasional clip tightening.
    IMO a really good design, fits the hand, a little heft to it in case you want to use it closed in a fist or as a skull tapper.

Junglee-folder.jpg
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I have been looking at this guy's work. https://www.facebook.com/Austin-Custom-Weaponry-298775636848194/

I am impressed with his work. Full custom stuff at reasonable prices......for customs.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs wrote:
    Bought a Chinese knockoff of an Italian Stiletto Switch Blade at a gun show Saturday. Actually has real wood grips.

Worked perfectly for removing the ziptie from my Ruger LC9S I checked at the door, as I walked out the parking lot.

my cleaning lady left one of those stiletto's in the truck passenger pocket. Been so long since I had handled one it Took me 5 mins to figure out how to close it.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hessian wrote:
    I have an old Junglee Foreign Legion folder with the belt clip. If I could find another original I'd buy it in a second, just in case mine ever broke or I lost

This may be like the Old Timer/Uncle Henry/Schrade that I mentioned above that used to be good quality and now is foreign junk, but this place shows it in stock: http://www.deepakc.com/junglee-knives-k02010-foreign-legion-folding-pocket-knife-liner-lock-3-7-8-drop-point-blade-stainless-steel-handles-with-rubber-kraton-inserts-pocket-clip-discontinued.html
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    Hessian wrote:
    I have an old Junglee Foreign Legion folder with the belt clip. If I could find another original I'd buy it in a second, just in case mine ever broke or I lost

This may be like the Old Timer/Uncle Henry/Schrade that I mentioned above that used to be good quality and now is foreign junk, but this place shows it in stock: http://www.deepakc.com/junglee-knives-k02010-foreign-legion-folding-pocket-knife-liner-lock-3-7-8-drop-point-blade-stainless-steel-handles-with-rubber-kraton-inserts-pocket-clip-discontinued.html

I tried that site a couple of years ago, with no success. Seems it is a non updated false listing. Maybe worth an E-mail, I'll give it a try, thank you. One can only hope, maybe I'll get lucky.

My son bought a Berreta folder that looked a lot like the Junglee knife I have, blade bushings failed in months. I guess it was a clone or a knockoff, but surely not built like the Junglee knife.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I am going somewhere and buy a made in the USA knife just because in the next two days. :):):):)

https://www.ruanaknives.com

Mule
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to the knife my father has had since the 60's and a variant I picked up at a gunshow I have maybe a dozen separate models all with fixed blades and wood handles...

All the original run from Herters and while all relatively plain and unadorned or unembellished in my minds eye all are superbly made heirloom level tools...

I was happy to have one of my own since my father had always had one - the recently acquired dozen came from a neighbor in my home town along with an assortment of hunting odds and ends but no guns or ammo...

He sons had taken the guns when her husband passed and she was moving to Florida and did not want to take the knives and snares with her...

They all look new in box and unused - like the day they were made except for some dry leather...

I have a reprint of the herters catalog and I have identified each knife by type now.

My father's is a camp utility knife and mine is an otter skinner - the new batch covers a range of oddly specific and esoteric uses...

You never see them for sale - owners tend to hold on to them till they die.

Don't know if they are worth anything or have a collectors following but I like them.

Mike
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Try eating a banana...
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a CRKT CEO for use when I'm wearing a suit. It'll blend right in with the pen I carry when so attired at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvnd4sd4Cs is a You Tube review showing the knife.

They're around 40 bucks.

Stay safe.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found a slight case of senility to be a wonderful thing. Not only do I get to meet the same people over and over for the first time but I get to buy neat stuff over and over. My favorite edc knife is the Benchmade mini griptillian. A couple of months ago I saw a good deal online for one. Hmm I said, maybe I should order a spare. Filled out the online order information and realized my wallet with credit cards was in another room. Went to get the wallet and on a whim opened up the knife drawer in the dresser and lo and behold not one but two mini griptillians appeared. One plain and one half serrated. So I guess I really didn't need a third spare so I cancelled the order. I kind of vaguely remember buying the 1/2 serrated but don't remember getting the plain edge one. The one in my pocket I have carried for 10 - 12yrs and it is still going strong so I think I am probably set for life. Bob
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last knife I bought was a beautiful Puma Stag handled Bowie knife as new in the box from our own Toad67.
    After it arrived, I admired it and slipped it in a drawer with some Ivory handled Randalls and a few old Marbles knives.
    I hunt with a beautiful Terry Treutel custom Drop Point fixed blade knife with Big Horn Sheep handles, my wife gave me for my 30th Birthday. Man can that thing hold an edge!
    I always carry a Hubertus Stag Handled Lever Lock Camper knife in my pocket when hunting. Such a convenient and useful knife.
    Hubertus Lever Lock Knives with exotic handles in all different sizes with regular and Damascus Blades occupy a pretty large drawer in my den also.
    I carry a Beautiful William Henry Knife when I get dressed up. Wife gave me that for my 50th Birthday!
    Yup, I love knives!
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs wrote:

my cleaning lady left one of those stiletto's in the truck passenger pocket. Been so long since I had handled one it Took me 5 mins to figure out how to close it.

These and everything else that is fun (fireworks, ccw, etc.) were illegal in Illinois when I was growing. I gave my last one away to a friend at his wedding. He got the cheap Chinese switch blade. I gave his wife a $100 bill.

Lately I've gotten a bit cheaper at recent weddings. I give Walking Liberty Silver Eagles dated to the year of the wedding to both the bride and groom. I tell them these silver coins change in value over the years. I've heard of 2 couples investing in more coins as result of my gift.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone still buy - collect - trade - gift - carry - use - appreciate Swiss army knives or victornox edc items with an edged blade...

Is it all multitools and benchmades and spyderco and high end fair or are their still some schrade and buck and Remington folders being bought and carried and used...

Mike
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was lucky enough to score about 50 knives at a yard sale about 3 years ago .All were known brands Buck, Gerber,Cas,Schrade etc . All stamped as American made . The schrades and old timers all dated to before the brands sale to the Chinese. I paid $2.00 for each . So yes they get carried and used
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Spyderco ordered, but the model has not been released yet. A bit over due. Boat from China must be a slow boat.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone still buy - collect - trade - gift - carry - use - appreciate Swiss army knives or victornox edc items with an edged blade...

Is it all multitools and benchmades and spyderco and high end fair or are their still some schrade and buck and Remington foldsers being bought and carried and used...

Mike

Yes Sir!
    I have a number of various Swiss Army Knives. Including a couple different Sterling Silver Tiffany Swiss Army Knives. A small pocket and Swiss Champ. Beautiful knives!