In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Ruger .22 target rifle

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
After a long absence, I was looking to get back into .22 rifle target shooting again and the Ruger seemed to have all of the features I wanted. It has a nice laminated wood target stock and It uses 10-22 magazines, which is a plus. Fit and finish are very good, but not up to the standards of my old CZ 452 (which was purchased by a forum member several years ago). The trigger has a good range of adjustment, but the downside is that the action must be removed from the stock to make these adjustments. I like the Weaver top rail, but it is short and crowds the limits of eye relief. I attached a RWS 2-7 power air rifle scope which I had sitting around, but I may look for a .22 rimfire specific scope. The heavy barrel is threaded 1/2X28 and my suppressor attached easily. All and all this is a good looking rifle and I hope to get it to the range on Monday...it is raining here in Orlando right now :cry:

FJ3PQuLh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking gun Mark. Other than the can, is it all factory? How is the trigger on it? Looks like it is the same as on the Americans.

Duh, must be an American. First thinking it was an older 77/22....
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The exact model is: Ruger 8367 American .22LR Target 18" SS Threaded Black Laminate LNG-RUG-8367, and this is exactly as it came out of the box, less the suppressor of course.

The trigger feels good and it is crisp. I have it adjusted to 2.5#. It will go lower, but I don't like the pull too light on a target rifle. Unlike my old CZ, which had a range of trigger adjustments, on the Ruger, weight of pull is all you can adjust...and you have to remove the action from the stock to do it. That is something I don't like, but I'm sure it keeps the cost down. I like the feel of the stock. I might get a cheek rest, but I won't know for sure until I shoot it. I won't go to the range on weekends; too many people, so I'll try for Monday. Hopefully it won't rain.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,200 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks very nice.
    I'm sure it will be very accurate.
    If you need to bore any of the holes out to make them smaller, I know a guy. ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks very nice.
    I'm sure it will be very accurate.
    If you need to bore any of the holes out to make them smaller, I know a guy. ;)

I considered a "worl clas" 10/22, but settled for this instead :o . Seriously, being able to use 10/22 magazines is a plus.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I considered a "worl clas" 10/22, but settled for this instead :o . Seriously, being able to use 10/22 magazines is a plus.

I remember that guy. :lol::lol::lol:
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Mark, those worl clas pieces, are really hard to find anymore. Sometimes you need to settle for second best. I always thought it ironic that after putting all that lead downrange with his rifles, it was lead that brought his empire down. :lol:
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it was the "Screw on Deer Antlers," on his Worls Klas Deer. :o :shock: :? :oops: :lol:

Wait, wait.

I'll drill it smaller. ;)
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot one prior to buying my Target 20" Stainless 10/22. I passed on the trigger. 10/22 has a solid one piece trigger. Velocity a little more with a longer barrel. Bolt gun shot ok and worked flawlessly. It shot about the same as my old 513T Remington. The Ruger Targets were discontinued but they are making a higher costing target 10/22 now. Don't know why the older version worked well. Either choice bolt or Target auto items shot at are dead meat.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1

I remember that guy. :lol::lol::lol:

I recall calling him out on that point. Crickets.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of American predators that I put these springs on. Seemed to make a difference.. Mine are center fire and not rim fire though.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-american-rifle.aspx
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark,

It's a superb new toy - thanks for sharing the pic...

I say to with all respect - because from my personal viewpoint once I have mastered a .22 rifle and explored it's limitations they become special to me like a treasured talisman - and even if racked or placed in a cabinet for awhile I know that when I take it out again that magic will still be there on demand - as long as I have cared for it properly on my end.

Accessories and configurations - conditions and cartridge variation - optics and range day objectives once mastered and explored and understood she is mine forever ready when I reach - waiting for my beck and call...

Please report on how it performs and what ammo it prefers - and on what accessories and modifications you make.

A good range day gun - to relax the mind while in the groove.

Mike
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Betcha its a shooter. I like the stock and it looks so much better than their thumbhole versions. My only question is why do they need to put that trigger blade safety on the gun. My 77/22, 77/17, 77, #1s all shoot good and have good triggers without the Glock style safety. My 10/22 ended up with a 2lb trigger and it hasn't got one either. Bob
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken/84, that story sounds fishy to me. :D
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BobJudy wrote:
    Betcha its a shooter. I like the stock and it looks so much better than their thumbhole versions. My only question is why do they need to put that trigger blade safety on the gun. My 77/22, 77/17, 77, #1s all shoot good and have good triggers without the Glock style safety. My 10/22 ended up with a 2lb trigger and it hasn't got one either. Bob

That was my no sale. It might be able to be changed out.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cbxjeff wrote:

Pretty sure I remember reading about it here, when someone posted a link about him getting busted in a Big Buck competition. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, and Mark - nice rifle/can set up.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cbxjeff wrote:

Pretty sure I remember reading about it here, when someone posted a link about him getting busted in a Big Buck competition. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh, and Mark - nice rifle/can set up.

You are correct about the big buck fraud. It was posted here after the Local W.V.
    magazine broke the story. "He" had only about 1/2 acre of land where he took "many"
    trophy bucks. Submitted a rack that was the same one last year but it "grew" bigger
    on the wall. :shock:
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a forum search about 'that' guy but didn't find anything. Now I am curious...

Sorry to hijack your thread Mark.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did a forum search about 'that' guy but didn't find anything. Now I am curious...

Sorry to hijack your thread Mark.

No problem. All of Old Joe's antics are in the "old forum" and predate the switch-over which took place in February. Those pre-Feb threads (sounds like pre-ban), while still in the archives, cannot be searched with the forum search engine. You have to hunt them down one by one.

I had the rifle out on the range today and I was impressed. All I had available were CCI standard velocity rounds, but they grouped nicely. The RWS 2X7 scope worked fine, but 2X7 is really not strong enough and I'll purchase a Nikon 4X14 rimfire scope along with some target ammo. I'm please with the rifle and when the weather cools off here in Orlando, I plan to head out to the range with it a couple of times a week. It is just too hot for extended range time now.