In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weather bureau cried wolf again on Dorian Hurricane in Florida

Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
News just reported the weather bureau says the hurricane won't cause much more than tropical rain in Florida and some modest storm surge but not much.

This, after their dire warnings and evacuation orders disrupting tens of thousands of people.

Of course, no apology from the National Weather Service or "expert" hurricane forecasters.

Once again, the weather service cries wolf, scaring people and disrupting their lives. This is exactly why I put next to ZERO respect or belief in weather reports.

Others may see it differently but that is my opinion after hearing their "dire life threatening" forecasts that never develop.

Seems like a weather forecast isn't even an educated guess anymore! It's more like a big joke! :lol::lol::lol:
The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,731 ******
    edited November -1
    Governor * man of Virginia has already called a state of emergency.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will tie the whole thing in with GLOBULL warming again for more scare tactics.
    Maybe they can squeeze a few more bucks out of us !
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they feel the need to err on the side of safety and that's probably a good thing. As far as the forecast effecting me as long as I have a timely notification of the storm and it's present location and direction of travel and speed of travel that's all I expect. No one knows for sure where a storm is going till it is already there. All those colored lines are just that and nothing more.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps you need a refresher on the meaning of "could." As in "The track it COULD take" or "The strength it COULD be"

Because that's what every forecast said.

If you insist on certainty, may I refer you to the Death and Taxes departments?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good news is we got off light. The bad news isthe next big one that comes along will be underestimated by the masses and be unprepared when it hits.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ricci is spot on!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,731 ******
    edited November -1
    Would you rather they just say ?Well, it?s going to rain a little and may get breezy.??
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Would you rather they just say ?Well, it?s going to rain a little and may get breezy.??

They can say whatever they want....but free men should not be ordered and forced under gunpoint to evacuate. Likewise, said free men should accept their fate and expect nobody to save them if emergency arises.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why should anyone apologize for trying to save lives? Would you rather the storms were treated with less importance or interest?
    I've lived in Florida for over sixty years and am always prepared but that's because of all the warnings and the experience of going through many hurricanes and that experience tells me that NO hurricane is certain to do this or that, it's an unpredictable monster but a monster none the less, don't be mad that you didn't get hit, instead watch the videos of the places that did get hit and say a prayer of thanks.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wonder how many will come back from forced evacuation and find their property vandalized and stolen
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullshot wrote:
    Why should anyone apologize for trying to save lives? Would you rather the storms were treated with less importance or interest?
    I've lived in Florida for over sixty years and am always prepared but that's because of all the warnings and the experience of going through many hurricanes and that experience tells me that NO hurricane is certain to do this or that, it's an unpredictable monster but a monster none the less, don't be mad that you didn't get hit, instead watch the videos of the places that did get hit and say a prayer of thanks.
    +1000
    Well said.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The weather service does a good job of forecasting these storm. It is uncanny to see the satellite and radar images.
    They are good but not perfect.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask the people of the Bahamas what, never mind I sometimes forget it is all about you...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    brier-49 wrote:
    They will tie the whole thing in with GLOBULL warming again for more scare tactics.
    Maybe they can squeeze a few more bucks out of us !

AOC is already crying it's just a warning of things to come and EVERYONE WILL DIE if no heed is paid to her Green New Deal.
    :lol::lol:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I think they feel the need to err on the side of safety and that's probably a good thing. As far as the forecast effecting me as long as I have a timely notification of the storm and it's present location and direction of travel and speed of travel that's all I expect. No one knows for sure where a storm is going till it is already there. All those colored lines are just that and nothing more.

Many of the masses are unable to think and reason for themselves. They have become dependent on someone telling them what to do they simply obey like sheeple. And that is what those in power desire. :evil:

• Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Perhaps you need a refresher on the meaning of "could." As in "The track it COULD take" or "The strength it COULD be"

Because that's what every forecast said.

If you insist on certainty, may I refer you to the Death and Taxes departments?

'Could be' does not dictate orders of mass evacuations.
    :lol:

• Options
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    wonder how many will come back from forced evacuation and find their property vandalized and stolen

BINGO .. we have a winner.

Of course, the naysayers will state no property is worth a life. However, when there 'predicted disaster' and ordered evacuations along with dire scare stories promoted by the medias' use of wording becomes false........go figure.

People have been trained to believe what they are told, not to think and reason for themselves. :cry:

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should go visit the Bahamas..WC was correct. I have been in about 3 major Tornado's and they just pop up most times with NO warning. However a Hurricane is known to exist days before it possibly hits. If you are in a Hurricane's path one has to be an idiot not to get out of the way. If I had been in Florida I would have left well in advance and thanked the Lord the thing missed.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was staying on the beach at the Holiday Inn at Surf Side Beach, SC near Myrtle Beach back in June of 1980 and a tornado tore right across that section of beach where our motel was and broke the windows out of 55 cars in the parking lot and my rear window was one of them. Anything that was not fastened down tight was found a couple of miles away.

I was watching the weather report on TV at the time and it was never mentioned. They said the skies were partly cloudy with the wind out of the South at 8 knots while I was looking out the window at palm trees that were being blown away.

Tornado's really do sound much like a freight train.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They need those far-reaching Quantum computers to improve their forecasting predictions of the future, It got close enough to warrant
    an evacuation with their capabilities.

serf

https://www.azoquantum.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=98

Quantum computing has the potential to change the world and disrupt every industry by providing the opportunity to solve incredibly intricate problems that modern-day supercomputers just can?t achieve ? including the potential to map extremely complex weather patterns.

The computing power necessary to keep an eye on the whole globe and predict when an innocent-looking storm might become dangerous just isn?t available ? many of the world?s largest supercomputers are already dedicated to weather forecasting but in order to achieve greater accuracy, they need even more computational brute force. Could the advent of quantum computing change this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You should go visit the Bahamas..WC was correct. I have been in about 3 major Tornado's and they just pop up most times with NO warning. However a Hurricane is known to exist days before it possibly hits. If you are in a Hurricane's path one has to be an idiot not to get out of the way. If I had been in Florida I would have left well in advance and thanked the Lord the thing missed.

This is about Florida ...... not the Bahama's which are islands in the path of many hurricanes so anyone living/building there better understand they are in the path and will experience a hurricane.
    No different than people who live in Alaska will experience snow and cold. :lol:

• Options
    edited November -1
    "This is about Florida ...... not the Bahama's which are islands in the path of many hurricanes so anyone living/building there better understand they are in the path and will experience a hurricane.
    No different than people who live in Alaska will experience snow and cold."/quote]

Also NO DIFFERENT than people living in Florida which is a state in the path of many hurricanes so anyone living/building there better understand they are in the path and WILL experience a hurricane.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bullshot wrote:
    "This is about Florida ...... not the Bahama's which are islands in the path of many hurricanes so anyone living/building there better understand they are in the path and will experience a hurricane.
    No different than people who live in Alaska will experience snow and cold."/quote]

Also NO DIFFERENT than people living in Florida which is a state in the path of many hurricanes so anyone living/building there better understand they are in the path and WILL experience a hurricane.

OK, now you got it.

Also when you live in a disaster prone area, there is such a thing as INSURANCE if you choose to purchase it. ;)

• Options
    edited November -1
    ?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard Limbaugh, today and yesterday, criticizing the weather bureau, saying they never get the forecast right.
    And he said, a week ago the prediction was that the storm was going to hit West Palm Beach where he lives, and he knew his compound was safe, because the weathermen are always wrong. The guy went on for 15 minutes yesterday about how stupid the weathermen are.

And then, later in the show Rush mentioned that he had flown "somewhere else" in his Lear jet, just to be safe. He wouldn't say where he was but it sounded like, a long long way from Florida. He was still broadcasting from his "safe place" today.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some folks on here that need to learn a little bit about weather systems, and how they work before blaming the NHC for squat. A hurricane,....no matter how big and dangerous, is nothing but the equivalent of a cork floating in a bathtub in all reality.

Where one heads to is determined by constantly changing steering currents, and changing highs/lows. It's basically the path of least resistance, the same that air and water both follow.

Since these determinants are dynamic,....telling someone accurately where a storm system is going weeks ahead of time involves adapting the forecast to changing circumstances and conditions. This means the end target will often differ from where it began.

Personally I think the NHC does a damn good job, and have come a long way concerning accuracy via ever evolving technology. It will never be a 100% guaranteed thing.

PS,....Rush Limbaugh is a fat gasbag. :lol:
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    + 1000 on Rush Limbaugh.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All are free to believe what they will.

My opinion of the national weather service and their predictions is not one of confidence.

EOS

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest you move to the Bahamas, because the weather people said it would hit there. Crying wolf eh?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.