In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger firearms

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
With the reminder from Warbirds question (thanks Dave) regarding the 1994 AWB and BSR asking about Bill Ruger's involvement, I am wondering if any folks here still (or ever) refuse to buy Ruger firearms because of the actions Bill Ruger took in support of the AWB and the limit on magazine capacity, specifically.

I think ol' Bill is rolling over in his grave with the direction the company has taken in recent years. Has that redeemed them in your minds?
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Even before the Crime Bill, it was easier to get a dealer sales sample M16 from Colt (I had 3) than to get factory 20 round Mini 14 magazines from Ruger- which I never succeeded in getting. I didn't buy a Ruger firearm until 2002, which was when old Bill was cold in his grave. I don't hold a grudge against the current company, which today offers things like factory suppressors, things which Bill would have never approved of.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early Ruger single actions, and the first double action .357/.38s were pretty good, although rather heavy for the task. Since then I avoid all Rugers.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember participating in a SWAT course at Camp Lejeune in the 1970 and watching a group of secret service folks firing full auto mini 14's, the AC556?? I was told that Ruger denied making the guns at that time but I don't know that for sure. I do know that I have owned a bunch of Ruger guns and have never thought poorly of any of them. They have all been good guns as far as I can remember. I have sold hundreds if not thousands and very few needed any service but if they did Ruger always set the standard for customer service. I don't have the time or the inclination to worry about the politics of a company especially in this day and time when I don't believe much I hear or read anyway. To the best of my knowledge there are no longer and Ruger family members working at the company any longer.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember participating in a SWAT course at Camp Lejeune in the 1970 and watching a group of secret service folks firing full auto mini 14's, the AC556?? I was told that Ruger denied making the guns at that time but I don't know that for sure. I do know that I have owned a bunch of Ruger guns and have never thought poorly of any of them. They have all been good guns as far as I can remember. I have sold hundreds if not thousands and very few needed any service but if they did Ruger always set the standard for customer service. I don't have the time or the inclination to worry about the politics of a company especially in this day and time when I don't believe much I hear or read anyway. To the best of my knowledge there are no longer and Ruger family members working at the company any longer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,731 ******
    edited November -1
    I was p. o.ed at Ruger for a while. When they came out with the P90, I paid MSRP. THE next year they dropped the MSRP by 15-20%.
    Learned a valuable lesson, though.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always been fond of Ruger firearms, and while I hated Bill for his support of the AWB, that feeling died when he did. They're now building firearms that he hated, and have become the company that I hope burns his * for eternity.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Past owner, P85.

Current owner, Super Blackhawk .44mag, .44 mag Carbine, AR556, etc. etc.

No problem with quality firearms.
  • Options
    RIA10MMRIA10MM Member Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No issue with Ruger here. Issue with RRA and Springfield.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them better now that they removed the owners manual from the barrel.
    But that's not saying much, really. I've never owned one.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Since we're in the Wayback Machine this evening, and no, I am not Mister Peabody, let's not forget Smith and Wesson's fateful decision to cave into the Clinton Administration by advocating "smart guns" and developing a dealer "code of conduct" which was such a pain in the * that it was easier to just drop the S&W product line completely. S&W quickly ran afoul of the NSSF and the NRA, who organized a boycott which brought the company to its knees. At that time S&W was a publically traded company controlled by Tomkins plc, an engineering company headquartered in London, England, and by the close of 2000 S&W shares were valued at around twenty five cents! Ed Schultz, the S&W CEO who negotiated the deal with Clinton, was tossed out on his * and the company was sold for a fraction of its original value. The new owners backed out of their deal with Clinton and the company slowly began to rebuild the trust of American gun owners. S&W is now a big supporter of the NRA, but twenty years ago when the NRA flexed it muscles, it almost put S&W out of business.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    35 Whelen wrote:
    I've always been fond of Ruger firearms, and while I hated Bill for his support of the AWB, that feeling died when he did. They're now building firearms that he hated, and have become the company that I hope burns his * for eternity.

Nailed it.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    chiefr wrote:
    35 Whelen wrote:

Nailed it.
    plus 1,
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was in Ruger's benefit if ARs were banned since Mini-14s were exempt but if they were to re-do the ban maybe not?

All "big guns" made deals with the government. Except Henry or Marlin but they got in to bed with Remington.